Hermit flower beetle range

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I’m in California and I read on a website types of beetles in California and hermit beetles are one of them. Another website says that they are from eastern US. I want to find some but I don’t want to look and not find anything.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
So none in California. Also is there any good pet beetles in California, like flower beetles.

CanebrakeRattlesnake

Arachnosquire
I'm sure there probably are but I'm not sure of any, usually when looking for inverts in my state I check on iNaturalist and see what's around. I'm also not too sure on what the law is like in California so I have no idea what would/wouldn't be legal to own. Good luck!

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
can the Japanese beetles be kept as pets and possibly breed. I find tons during summer and it’s a better pet since they aren’t a native. I want to try keeping a beginner species while saving for Goliath beetles. I’ve kept darkling beetles but I want some flower beetles to keep and many try to breed.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Japanese beetles would be illegal to keep without a permit and containment facility in CA. Even with a containment facility you probably wouldn't get approved, as CA is one of the most vulnerable areas agriculturally (and is included in the federal quarantine) where this species could wrack havoc. USDA\APHIS doesn't want anyone keeping this species, let alone selling it, for fear of expanding their range.
It's also extremely unlikely, nearly impossible, that you are seeing Japanese beetles. Their range in California is quite limited which is one of the reasons restrictions are so strict. This article recounts the government response when eight individuals were identified in Sacramento county last spring. If they were common, successful agriculture in CA wouldn't be.
You are going to need a permit for pretty much any scarab not native to California, and you will even need one to acquire natives from out of state. Therefore I would either advise applying for a permit OR doing your own collecting within state. In terms of what you can collect in state, California has many species of desert beetle which, though EXCEEDINGLY difficult to breed outside of zoos, are a ton of fun to keep. Click beetles are also great, and relatively common in the right areas. Megasoma sleeperi is also a California native though incredibly difficult to collect, and I believe there are collecting restrictions on them from the state (I think?). I can only think of one flower beetle you could collect and keep legally in CA and that is Cotinis mutabilis though I don't know any individuals culturing them.
If you decide to go for the permit route (which I would highly recommend) then without doubt, the best beginner scarab is Gymnetis thula. This Texas native is large, easy to keep, and absolutely gorgeous. I've worked with them and love them. Permitting could also allow you to acquire out of state desert beetles AND (drumroll please) USA native rhino beetles.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I read the range of the hermit flower beetle is in California so I’m going to try and breed them if I can find some in spring

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
If I’m in California, do I need permits for Goliath beetles. They aren’t native but don’t need APHIS permits

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Goliathus goliatus, Goliathus regius, and Goliathus cacicus all do not require permits due to their carnivorous diet as larvae, and their un-destructive feeding habits as adults. To my knowledge, California has not implemented any rules different that those of APHIS. I should also note that you will likely only be able to source Goliathus goliatus, though they can be acquired both as larvae or adult males. I currently don't know anyone selling adult females or pairs. This is the species I keep, and probably one of my favorite beetles of all time.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
If you find a native beetle and breed it. Could you sell the babies without a permit. the hermit flower beetles are now like my favorite beetle other than the stag and goliath

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
I just need to find a seller. I heard there might be some at reptile super show
There are now a fair amount of people who have Goliathus goliatus but only one is selling so far as I know (they've only been on the major market since last summer). Feel free to PM me and I'll send you in the right direction. Goliathus regius is only in a few zoos and I don't know anyone with Goliathus cacicus (possibly Steven Barney?).
If you find a native beetle and breed it. Could you sell the babies without a permit. the hermit flower beetles are now like my favorite beetle other than the stag and goliath
Yes and no. You can breed native beetles and sell the offspring in state. But ANY out of state sales (even for native beetles) will require a PPQ 526. That is, in fact, true for many regulated invertebrates (including isopods, most Orthoptera, and a bunch of other stuff).

Jimnopholus

Arachnopeon
There aren't any data points for any of the 3 species of Osmoderma any farther west than Montana, Kansas, or Oklahoma on BugGuide.net. Pairing that with the iNaturalist data, it seems unlikely that they are in California. I've seen them here in Illinois but, not lately. A fun species of flower beetle (Cetoniinae) is Euphoria inda, which I always find dive bombing ant hills around April-May up here near Chicago. There are other species in the genus Euphoria in California. I've seen Euphoria leucographa and Euphoria fascifera near Tucson. If you haven't used Bugguide yet, I highly recommend it.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I see the fig beetles flying around. I seen several black ones but I didn’t know what they were. Insect identification.com said that there are hermit flower beetles.