Hermit crab lifespan and info

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
So I'm considering some sort of hermit crab at the moment as they seem pretty cool actually. they stridulate to communicate with each other, dig burrows on land yet also dive underwater and climb trees, utilize a shell made by another animal for protection and even have a modified claw that acts like a snails operculum. So I've done plenty of research on care and would like to get 2 small ones and set up a my spare ten gallon. I plan to fill it with 8 inches of sand and eco earth mixed and use a top with low ventilation for humidity, provide fresh and salt water dishes they can submerge in, some climbing space, plenty of shells and I would be able to maintain temps at 78 where I'm putting the tank. I would feed a very varied diet of safe foods and provide a cuttlebone for calcium. I'm just curious if anyone knows if they will live a long lifespan like 20 years or so in an ideal setup as the big individuals in the wild are 20 plus years old but most In captivity most don't reach that. I would feel bad if mine doesn't live to it's full potential age just because it's in captivity. On a side note If you have any recommendations for things to add to my care I'd appreciate it. Also I'm still unsure which species to pick they all seem quite cool so feel free to voice your opinions on that too!

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There was a woman who kept a couple of hermit crabs well over 20 years. We messaged back and forth a few times...she went by 'Carol of Crabworx' if I recall. She kept her crabs in a 20 -gallon aquarium, and let them roam about the house every evening for exercise. When I asked her about care, she mentioned that she provided a lot of sanitized oak leaves as part of their diet.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Oh great I was going to add mixed safe leaf litter and bark for them to eat although I never considered free roam time I will probably experiment with it as I go.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
There was a woman who kept a couple of hermit crabs well over 20 years. We messaged back and forth a few times...she went by 'Carol of Crabworx' if I recall. She kept her crabs in a 20 -gallon aquarium, and let them roam about the house every evening for exercise. When I asked her about care, she mentioned that she provided a lot of sanitized oak leaves as part of their diet.
Wow, that's an interesting way of providing exercise. I suppose if she monitors them so they don't fall or get stepped on, it would be fine.

user 666

Arachnobaron
Ten gallons is the bare minimum for a couple hermies; you'd be better off with a 20-gallon tank.

You will probably also need to treat the water you put in; the tap water in most of the US is toxic. (You'll need a treatment for aquarium water.)

If by any chance you are close to Dale City, VA, let me know. I'm getting out of hermit crabs and I'd be willing to give you a tank with most of the material you need a well as several hermies.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Yeah the plan was using the ten for a grow out for a few very small crabs as I'm also interested In growth rates. I will likely upgrade once they reach medium size or so. I'm aware of water treatment being necessary with tap water (I've kept amphibians and aquariums for years) but I have well water with no added chemicals so should be safe ;). @user 666 I'm not especially close to your location but thanks for the offer!

blacksheep998

Arachnosquire
When I was a kid I had some hermit crabs living in a laundry sink for about 2 years.

The sink was tilted, and I left water at one corner but would drain and refill it each day (from the tap but we had well water instead of city water) and I fed them baby carrots and apple slices.

Then one day my mother found out about them and demanded I bring them out of the basement. A week later they were dead.