hermit crab care

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Today we were given 3 hermit crabs. I was wondering if anybody on here could tell me what species these are and what kind of care they need. What kind of substrate do they need? Sand, pebbles, peat moss? WHat should they be fed? What are signs of illness?

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
sorry, I forgot the pics. Here they are.

Last edited:

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The best Hermit Crab Care Sheet I've come across was written by Tseria at UltimateBettas.com. She has asked that it not be re-posted elsewhere without permission, so until I get it, here is the Link. Hope it helps; it really is everything you need to know from a trusted, well-versed, successful keeper.
edit: dang. It's members only. Seriously, it would be worth taking a minute to join just to get the care sheet (lol), and the site has a great section on aquatic and semi-aquatic invertebrates. But I will try to get permission to re-post it.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks for the quick reply.
I joined the site, it is very informitive
Again thanks for the info.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The crab pictured is a Purple Pincher... pretty common... and one of the easier ones to care for. There's some good info on www.hermitcrabassociation.com and www.hermitcrabaddiction.com , as well as, many others.

I have Strawberries and Ruggies, myself. I just love them! If you ever have any questions, let me know... pm or email... I'll do my best to help or find the answers that I don't know. :)

~Aminah

ChainsawMonkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ooooo! I just loooove hermies! I've never got any before but I'd love to get some. I know a ton about their care, and I would love to get a pair. I'm just a cheaparse and hate spending more than $60 on a setup. But I may break my own rule this Christmas. I'm getting a ton of cash from muh family.