Here's why this spider will destroy your car! ;)

Michael Livote

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter

Click-baity title aside, I love this guy and learn a ton from him about auto repair :happy: I did not, however, think that spiders could mess with cars to the point they don't work right. I live in a colder climate most of the year and this simply isn't an issue here. I was wondering if anyone else on here has had any issues with spiders messing with their vehicles, chime in!

Last edited:

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Easy way to avoid spiders in your car: dont let it sit for a year. I've never heard of this happening though.

Michael Livote

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
Easy way to avoid spiders in your car: dont let it sit for a year. I've never heard of this happening though.
Its definitely a new one to me as well. I just talked to my cousin down in Florida and he says this is common by the everglades....thats pretty messed up.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Sorry, but I didn't get much past the part where he claimed that spiders 'like the smell of gasoline' which is utter nonsense.
Sure, spider webbing can cause problems, but so can a lot of other animals. I would love to see some real evidence of it happening and not just some guy talking about it, though.
Until then, I am going to file this theory away with all the brown recluse bites causing limbs to fall off.

Michael Livote

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
Sorry, but I didn't get much past the part where he claimed that spiders 'like the smell of gasoline' which is utter nonsense.
Sure, spider webbing can cause problems, but so can a lot of other animals. I would love to see some real evidence of it happening and not just some guy talking about it, though.
Until then, I am going to file this theory away with all the brown recluse bites causing limbs to fall off.
Unfortunately this ones based on a very real thing: Mazda recalling thousands of cars due to the Yellow Sac spider, and only that spider apparently, being attracted by the smell of gasoline and spinning webs inside of their emissions control units. It was only confirmed twice, and there were no injury's thankfully, but it is an actual fact this can and has happened. My guess is this is what Scotty based his video on at least in part. Fact can indeed be stranger than fiction sometimes....here's an article, one of many I found with a simple Google search, that confirms this:
https://theweek.com/articles/486656/spiders-really-make-car-explode

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Please read this too...
Do Spiders Love the Smell of Gasoline in the Morning?
Here's a short excerpt...
The Suzuki Kizashi, a nice sedan no longer sold in the USA, is the latest car to fall victim to the yellow sac spider (Cheiracanthium sp.) and its habit of building silken retreats and egg sacs in small spaces. Previous news stories have involved Mazdas and Toyotas. The sac spider gets inside hoses and weaves a web that clogs vents and drains in the pollution-control and air-conditioning systems, so the car has to be recalled and fixed.

The auto press loves these stories, and the spider-phobic public runs amok. You see, clogging a fuel-tank venting system could lead to cracks in the tank and leaks and fires and DEATH! A plugged AC vent isn’t quite as dramatic, but an obstruction in that line causes condensation to build up and possibly overflow into the car’s interior, perhaps on your new shoes or, worse, your car’s electronics. This happens to my truck and is the reason it smells swampy (though I don’t know whether to blame spiders or messy trees). Toyota recalled 870,000 cars out of concern that shorted-out airbags might deploy without warning.

There’s already a lively literature of fear involving cars and spiders, and this adds another layer. I don’t think anybody’s gone nuts over the dangers to your car posed by bunnies, but given a slow enough news day, that could happen, why not.
The above article also links to a couple of others from scientists/arachnologists who also weigh in on the issue.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
I can see that there are some spiders that decide to make a home in a vent line which could cause some pressure issues. Fine. Maybe even a check engine light comes on because the evap system can’t be properly tested by the car. Catch fire? I find that highly unlikely.

Just because you find a few articles via Google doesn’t mean that that’s it and everything is confirmed. I only say this because a lot of times and especially nowadays multiple sites just repost/ridiculously summarize or sensationalize an original source, leaving out key facts/not providing any additional or even any relevant information.

The article you linked even stated none of the vehicles caught on fire. Sure, there is a chance (however unlikely) and therefore liability but from what I have looked into over the years hasn’t led me to say this is some form of imminent danger. Something that does cause some issues though. All that said, I’ve never seen or heard of it happening to anyone I know.

Now, sure Scott might be knowledgeable but I started tuning out the second he talked about it not being a big deal to vent gasoline into the air. Raw/unburned hydrocarbons in the atmosphere does it no favors. Then again I am a bit biased here because I feel the automotive industry could do a lot more in terms of lessening environmental impact.

PS - This should probably be in the True Spider section.

Michael Livote

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
Please read this too...
Do Spiders Love the Smell of Gasoline in the Morning?
Here's a short excerpt...

The above article also links to a couple of others from scientists/arachnologists who also weigh in on the issue.
I read that one first, actually...and it doesn't actually say it doesn't happen, just that it's unlikely to happen which I agree with wholeheartedly. The chances of a spider clogging up anything on your car are pretty astronomical...but sadly it has happened (auto makers do not issue recalls based on hearsay after all...). Insects can be more than a nuisance to vehicles (Florida Love bugs anyone...yuk...), but that doesn't mean it should be discounted entirely. I love spiders (duh) but I hope I never live in an area that stupid stuff like this can happen in. Cold winters have their place ;)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
The chances of a spider clogging up anything on your car are pretty astronomical...but sadly it has happened.
Cold winters have their place.
But, it hasn't happened. There has never been even one report where someone's engine/gas tank exploded due to a spider web being inside it. It is all just speculation based upon what people say who have absolutely no knowledge of spiders. These articles are so heavily peppered with 'possible' that they're laughable. Cheiracanthium species don't make webs, although they might make a tiny sac that would never be large enough to impede a car engine from working. They just don't web like that.
I have news for you - a spider can create a web in a couple of hours, so it doesn't matter where you live. Spiders live in cold climates and build webs there too during the warmer months. Spiders getting into your car, and creating webs inside the engines, wouldn't take more than a few hours - living somewhere that has cold winters wouldn't prevent this from happening.
It was a slow news day and they needed some outrageous article to raise their readership numbers... so they did what they always do and look for some horrifying spider story that has absolutely zero validity to it.

Michael Livote

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
But, it hasn't happened. There has never been even one report where someone's engine/gas tank exploded due to a spider web being inside it. It is all just speculation based upon what people say who have absolutely no knowledge of spiders. These articles are so heavily peppered with 'possible' that they're laughable. Cheiracanthium species don't make webs, although they might make a tiny sac that would never be large enough to impede a car engine from working. They just don't web like that.
I have news for you - a spider can create a web in a couple of hours, so it doesn't matter where you live. Spiders live in cold climates and build webs there too during the warmer months. Spiders getting into your car, and creating webs inside the engines, wouldn't take more than a few hours - living somewhere that has cold winters wouldn't prevent this from happening.
It was a slow news day and they needed some outrageous article to raise their readership numbers... so they did what they always do and look for some horrifying spider story that has absolutely zero validity to it.
Um, where are you getting that this is about exploding gas tanks? No article ever said it actually happened, not one. They simply stated it COULD happen if plugged up bad enough. I never said it happened, not once. I'm stating what I've read culminating from quite a few articles on this and yes Scotty did indeed make it seem worse than it was...but he does have a fairly large Youtube audience and yeah...(like all the Youtube videos advocating handling our precious spiders are any better...)....but even he said no harm was ever done, just that it COULD happen if not cleared out, as all of the articles stated. This isn't being done to blast spiders, just state that car makers (several of them) have issued recalls because this COULD get to the point some real damage COULD occur. That's all. I don't blindly parrot folks, I do the reading then state what I got from it. You love spiders so much you can't accept the fact this could happen, your choice and I accept that. Do let's agree to disagree on this one.

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
I can definitely attest to yelllow sac spiders (scientific name omitted) having an affinity for cars. And yes the whole car recall thing did happen. Over the years I’ve found many of these little SOBs in cars and one had the audacity to bite me on the neck a few years back while I was driving at night. It was not a fun evening. And yes this is the kind of thing that actually happens to me.