Here's a question for you guys...?

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Here's a question for you guys...? Please read this

We can use my sick T as the test subject. I know it seem gross but maybe we can find a way to help the other T's with the same problem.
Anyway, most pet shops carry a worming medication for puppies
and kittens....... Do you think it might help the sick T?
Or maybe even one of the medicines for fish?

I have had good results with treatment of minor fish parasite
problems in the past and thought it might be worth trying for
a T.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I don't think I would use a worming medication on a T. It has the action of killing inverts, that being the worm, but the T is an invert too. As for fish meds, you might try some tetracycline or other antibiotic meds for your T. Just open the capsule and add a small amount to it's water and you might hold your T and put a small drop of that on it's mouth several times a day and let it drink that before releasing it back in it's ICU. If you think it would eat, just add a little of the powder to the outside of a prekilled cricket

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Yeah, I thought of that after I posted it:?
But maybe the antibiotics would not work either.
SO how the heck are we suppose to treat a BUG with
A BUG??

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Guy Tansley has already tried most of the major wormers on the market (Panacure being the only one I can recall at the moment but I know he did try 2 or 3 of them that he posted about) and whatever the reason, none recovered, all died.

Antibiotics have been used for some uses with Ts successfully. Administering them successfully is a whole other issue, but the "dropping an antibiotic solution on their mouth" seems the best way I can think of. Antibiotics won't touch the nematodes, but could help with secondary infections.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
@Code...Antibiotics won't touch the nematodes, but could help with secondary infections. (Thats what I thought too)

What's the sense in treating the secondary infection if the worms
can't be treated? It just ends up taking longer for the T to die
anyway.:(

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by sunnymarcie
[BWhat's the sense in treating the secondary infection if the worms can't be treated? It just ends up taking longer for the T to die anyway.:( [/B]
Because at this point we don't really know *what* is killing the Ts with these nematode infections. It's a relative newcomer to captive Ts so whether it's the parasitic activities of the nematodes or the secondary infections that are the killing blow is up in the air. It is possible that controlling secondary infections in an infected T might let it recover. Then again it might just make it take longer to die. We just don't know, but without trying different things, we aren't going to know either.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You could look here :

http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9707

Research Institute for Exotic Species Microbiology is sending out swabs to take samples from sick and healthy tarantulas to try and isolate good and bad microorganisms in tarantulas. Rather than killing your pet with a hit or miss approach you could contact Kerry Gowin or Larry Boyd and get the swabs to get take samples for them to study. Just a suggestion.......:D

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i too would say either get a kit if the T is alive, and if a T dies, send it in.

Rhys at the ATS is the man to talk to about that, too, among the other people...

just get it to someone doing research, so your dead or sick T can help everyone elses!

what kind of T is it? White at the mouth?
good luck!
peace
dave

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Buspirone, thanks for the link:)

I was about to contact those people today.
If my T does not live, it can at least be sent in for study.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My red phase Rosie is foaming out the mouth after I feed her, a really thick white paste, but she is still eating. She has an excellent appetite. They are sending out a kit today for me to get a sample of the paste and some of her stools.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
@RugbyDave~ my T is an A. avic (pink toe)

This T just has a crusty ring around it's mouth. It looks like
it just needs its face washed.
I have not seen anything come directly out of its mouth.
This is not normal and it has happened on days when the T
has not been fed.
So, thats what makes me think it is possibly
sick.
Maybe she's just a little piggy and likes to be dirty, not sure.;)
It would be nice if thats the issue:) I wouldn't mind a messy T,
I just do not want a sick one.