Here she is.. the feisty one (pics)

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
She is much calmer today. I know I said I would leave her alone for a few days, but I just couldn't help myself.

I suited up and pulled her out. She was so calm once I got her out of the tub so after a few minutes, I allowed my husband to come behind me and pull off the coat. All was well, as you can see..

But I pushed my luck with that flash because she struck my hand immediately (no it did not hurt.. kind of like a paper cut). Of course I put her back after that, but I have faith that she is going to be a good girl. I also just found out from the seller that she is in shed - which makes her more vulnerable - so between the travel and that, I can understand her pissiness. ;)

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thats good she seems calmer

i wouldnt put her down after she bites though dont want her thinking she gets left alone. Just got to hold her a bit longer

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh, yeah, being in shed can make many snakes a tad irritable, to say the least! I mean, think about it-how would it feel to have fluid prying apart two layers of skin? Probably like having a water blister...that covers your entire body, even your eyes.

AND, I know this sounds crazy, but when she strikes like that, do NOT put her down! Snakes, I've found over the years, DO learn when they can scare you to get their way, just like dogs and toddlers. My only "bitey" Water Snake, a huge Yellow-Belly x Red-Belly intergrade female, would snap(not so much strike as snap just like a dog)when she got tired of me holding her, or when I reached for her. I used reverse psychology; when she tried to bite me in her enclosure, I picked her up. I held her LONGER if she tried to bite while I was holding her. It didn't take her very long to figure out that the biting wasn't going to scare me away(I teach Jr. High, after all, so a five-foot-long snake isn't going to intimidate me), so the biting stopped. Had I given her what she wanted-to be left alone-that would have reinforced the biting by rewarding it, basically, and made it worse. Learn to use a towel or snake bag to control the snake's head and deflect the worst of the bites, and the snake will soon figure out that it's wasting time.

This is a gorgeous girl, by the way. She will most likely calm down considerably with frequent handling and a good feed or two. Did you ever find out what strain of albino she is?

pitbulllady

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Oh, yeah, being in shed can make many snakes a tad irritable, to say the least! I mean, think about it-how would it feel to have fluid prying apart two layers of skin? Probably like having a water blister...that covers your entire body, even your eyes.

AND, I know this sounds crazy, but when she strikes like that, do NOT put her down! Snakes, I've found over the years, DO learn when they can scare you to get their way, just like dogs and toddlers. My only "bitey" Water Snake, a huge Yellow-Belly x Red-Belly intergrade female, would snap(not so much strike as snap just like a dog)when she got tired of me holding her, or when I reached for her. I used reverse psychology; when she tried to bite me in her enclosure, I picked her up. I held her LONGER if she tried to bite while I was holding her. It didn't take her very long to figure out that the biting wasn't going to scare me away(I teach Jr. High, after all, so a five-foot-long snake isn't going to intimidate me), so the biting stopped. Had I given her what she wanted-to be left alone-that would have reinforced the biting by rewarding it, basically, and made it worse. Learn to use a towel or snake bag to control the snake's head and deflect the worst of the bites, and the snake will soon figure out that it's wasting time.

This is a gorgeous girl, by the way. She will most likely calm down considerably with frequent handling and a good feed or two. Did you ever find out what strain of albino she is?

pitbulllady
That's hilarious!

I actually didn't put her back immediately. I held her for a few more minutes after she struck me. I didn't want to hold her too much longer only because knowing she is in shed and feeling vulnerable with someone new holding her, I didn't want to cause her any more stress than I already had.

She is Kahl strain - the same as my het albino male.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh wow.. She is gorgeous Toni! :drool: I am now jealous of you! :D

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:drool::drool::drool::drool:

You must post freshly molted photos!