Here is Little Tanzania (update)

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've seen a picture on pet bugs.com. Are they really rare as well? (no joke) :?

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
J Morningstar said:
I've seen a picture on pet bugs.com. Are they really rare as well? (no joke) :?
As to my opinion the pedes sold as "black african" and "bleu-legged african giants" are the same specie,... only a different coloration of body. like you can see on the pictures that i posted and the one Eric posted, there's a slightly difference in bodycoloration,.... due to the "location" where they are collected or the humidity they have grown up in. but both have bleu leggs which make them very desirable,...

ow yeah,... now an answer to your question,... i think they both are indeed quite rare :)

Cheers
Steven, jealous again :rolleyes:

Highlander

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
J, what size tank are your millis in?How many does that hold?

Jonathan/Highlander

Yve

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yowza! thats alot of millis! Do they usually hang out on top of the substrate or did you ruffled them up a bit to get that shot.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Highlander said:
J, what size tank are your millis in?How many does that hold?

Jonathan/Highlander
I have to tell you that to count them would (at this point) be quite impossible.
Let's just say there probably 200 or so millipedes at least in the tank between 6 different species. You can't see the 50 or so babies at any one time that are on the surface.I would say the tank is between 55 and 75 gallons. It's a weird "tall" tank.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yve,
I would never rough up my millipedes!
This is how they look in a feeding frenzy. Some times there is not quite so many showing but you can always see a good deal of them. Wild caught Pink millipedes for example almost never appear in the light, but the captive bread ones don't give a damn.
J

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
eep

lovely pedes you have there, my friend has the tanzanian yellow legged which is a very similar looking pede but obviously it has yellow instead of pink legs. Not seen the pink legs offered for sale over here but I have the following species

Bronze
AGB
zebra (yellow and black variety)
olive
tanzanian pink
nigerian striped
tanzanian reg legged (two varieties)

sadly from that lot I've only got a few pairs and my olives and AGBs are only very young. Did find a wee pellet that had broken in half and there was a wee cream coloured egg inside, exciting stuff! :)

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Crunchie,
Any possibility of pictures? I would like to compare.
The Tanzanian yellow legs are one of the only species that I have had that killed my other species in an attempt to mate with them. It sucks. I had to quarenteen them from Little Tanzania and they eventually dided.
Where are you?

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm in central Scotland and my friend with the yewllow legged is in Derbyshire in England. Sadly he doesn't have a digital camera so I've no pics of his pedes. I think he wants a camera soon as we are both going on holiday in two weeks so he wants to take pics there. From what my friend says his yellow legged look alot like my bronze but are shiny black with black heads and bright yellow legs. :confused:

Here are my pedes...

weird red legged one which I'm not sure about

zebra, this is the male the female died before she could mate apparently :(

young AGB

This little guy tried to mount my other male bronze :eek: I only have the two males and am desperate for a female as these are quite rare in the UK

Olive

Bog stanbard Tanzanian red legged got a pair of these so hopefully see some young

Nigerian banded (also seen these called amber banded

tanazanian pink

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some one else just posted a pic of the "weird" Red Leg so I'll look for it after 9pm tonight when I am home and try to find out.
thanks for sharing.
J

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
J Morningstar

the person your getting your millipedes of is he the same person that emailed me :?

john

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, he is John. He is really a good person. Tries his hardest to do all he can within reason.
J

Yve

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
J, I didn't mean 'rough up' literally, (I'm a bit colourful with my text at times:))...just thought maybe you moved the soil around a bit to unearth them. I'm just amazed at how many are out and about. Although when there's food around they're savages aren't they?!

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In fact I never move almost anything for fear of crushing the little ones which there are seemingly at leat 100 of around at any one time. Heres a good pic of tonights feeding frenzy.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
J Morningstar said:
Some one else just posted a pic of the "weird" Red Leg so I'll look for it after 9pm tonight when I am home and try to find out.
thanks for sharing.
J
That someone else I just realized was you (Crunchie) I think. :rolleyes:

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
J Morningstar said:
That someone else I just realized was you (Crunchie) I think.
I was thinking that when I read the message but didnt have time to reply! Sorry :rolleyes:

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They really don't get watermelon all that often It's just that I have alot of it right now and it'e a treat.
I have written a list before but here goes the latest one.
Gold fish flakes
Any "dark lettuce
Radish (tops and bottom)
Carrot
Potatoes(cooked and raw)
Monkey chow biscuts
Mango
Lychee nuts
Peeled grapes
Tomato
Cucumber
Hard Boiled Egg (they absolutely love them)
Papaya
Any Squash yellow green and pumpkin
Mushrooms (white, oyster, just not smelly ones..they get real smelly real fast)
Broccolli (really messed the spelling up on that one)
Coconut
Peaches
I am sure I am missing some thing but thats a lot of it. :rolleyes:
J

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How large would you estimate the ones in the above pic to be?