Her 1st mouse :-))))

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's not cool. Not necessary.
And I agree with joe. Might wanna remove your current sig.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just have to say this! Every time I read a post by you it brings me pure entertainment :} it seems like you get so heated and angry when you read things you do not like and you are deffinatly not one to keep your opinions to yourself. This shows that you have alot of passion for the hobby. I learn alot from some (if not all) of your posts. :)
Thanks for your words. Im no expert, but been keeping T's since 1996.
I have seen my share of things, and honestly, to feed a smithi mice...
Really...

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
Thanks for your words. Im no expert, but been keeping T's since 1996.
I have seen my share of things, and honestly, to feed a smithi mice...
Really...
Yea, before entering a hobby that involves living things, one should do a fair share of homework on the subject.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
;P Just curious about the mouse thing, don't they stink while the T is digesting it? That's gota be a major detractor there in itself.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They stink when they rot.
That they do, and attrcat mites, flys & who knows what else. I will also mention a lot of petstores treat them with antibiotics and the bedding is treated if I am not mistaken.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I will just post this:

purdy...

PS: If buddy wants to feed his Ts with mice let him, its his own damn fault when they die in molt. He's going to do what he wants regardless of what we/you say. He just wont post it on here next time. This whole thread reminds me of the hybrid ordeal. Which again people are going to do what they want to do.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
o yea earlier i meant calcium not protien my bad. and yes the upper torso of a woman will get ya some nice little adim notices were not being mean but were looking out for whats best for the T and no offense but your not doing the same be responsible and its possible maybe this is not the hobby for ya :embarrassed:

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
I want what's best for my T too if you would've read everything you would already know that I will not feed any of them mice any more. Now you guys have me worried. Since I've already givin it to her. Is ther anything I can do from now untill her next moult to prevent any problems?

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I want what's best for my T too if you would've read everything you would already know that I will not feed any of them mice any more. Now you guys have me worried. Since I've already givin it to her. Is ther anything I can do from now untill her next moult to prevent any problems?
Just dont feed them rodents.She will be fine, so dont worry about it.

If the mouse had no diseases, she will be fine.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i'm not sure what you can. maybe stick to things low in calcium (i know you already said no hornworms, but make sure and check the nutritional info of other worms/things you might try before feeding them to her) and cross your fingers when the next moult comes around if she's already had a lot.

i'm sure someone after me will have better info for you.

edit: or before me, lol.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
just some basic guide lines crickets tried and true, dubia roaches, meal worms. anyone else go and input?

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
Ok other then horn worms & this mouse that's what I've been giving all my Ts I've been rotating thru crickets,meal worms, meal worm larva and horn worms then back to cricket. So ya my girlfreind isn't likeing the cockroach thing. lol.

AprilH

Petridish
Old Timer
I know it's been mentioned already, but as someone who's been keeping snakes for a number of years and have had to feed live sometimes to those picky feeders - mice are extremely quick and can do a lot of damage. Snakes are pretty tough and can take a bite here and there, but one bite to the body of the tarantula would most likely kill it. I've been bit myself a few times... it's not fun at all... and not worth taking the chance.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I really wouldn't worry about starting up a roach colony since it sounds like you already have several food sources going. Unless you have more Ts, you may not have enough mouths to make it worth it. I made the switch with 12 Ts & 3 scorps, but more so because the scorps are ready to pop any day.

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
Ok so the bigger guys like the L.Parahybana or the T.Blondi. What do you feed them when they have reach adult size ?

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ok so the bigger guys like the L.Parahybana or the T.Blondi. What do you feed them when they have reach adult size ?
I feed all of my tarantulas nothing but B.dubia roaches (like the ones in the pic I posted earlier). I did feed my biggest female T.blondi (er, burgundy) a mouse to fill her up before breeding but that was it. I'd recommend sticking to the dubias. Just a great all-around feeder IMO.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok other then horn worms & this mouse that's what I've been giving all my Ts I've been rotating thru crickets,meal worms, meal worm larva and horn worms then back to cricket. So ya my girlfreind isn't likeing the cockroach thing. lol.
I'm not passing judgement (though I agree with everyone here stating it's not necessary) but the GF has issues with cockroaches yet she doesn't with allowing the T to have a rodent?

Just wondering.. My wife was against roaches until she clearly saw the benefit of having my own colony but if I were to even state a mammal kill she would go through the roof. She's learned so much with me in the past year, as well my two boys, that it's just not needed nor welcomed much in the hobby.

To each his own but you seem respectable and inquisitive enough to want to learn so take this as such (the thread and replies) as it will make you a better keeper.

Also, one last thing (sorry) did you search on mice/rodent/mammal feeding before doing this and if you don't mind me asking what was the though behind it if any?

Thanks,

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
There was no thaught behind it. 5 out of 10 feeding videos I've seen on youtube on feeding are with mice so I never. Thaught to do any researcch on that specefic topic just figured it was normal for Ts to feed on them.
My girl did almost cry when it squeeked and now says that that was mean and doesn't even wanna look at it now. Its pretty gross lookin now. I have it set up to video her next moult if she does it where she did last time. So if there is any problems or even if there isn't any ill have it up.