HEPA air filters?

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
anyone using HEPA air filters in their tarantula room? I have been using one for some time now, I have it on or next to a desk where I do all the feeding, cleaning, etc. of each enclosure. if any of the t's decides to kick hairs the hairs get sucked into the filter unit instead of going airborne or floating onto me. another plus is that they rapidly "clean" the air of any stanky odors from deceased mice pinks or rat pups (you still need to remove the source of the odor, once the source is removed the odor IME is removed within 45 to 60 minutes). I have noticed that the filter makes a lot of vibration which does not let the t feel the food item in their enclosure as quickly.
Ed

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not familiar with the filter you mentioned. Is it a table model? Brand name? I wonder if it would also clear the air of mold and fungus spores. Might be a good idea for several reasons.

Botar

Edit: I found the HEPA filters on a website. Which model do you have? Some of them are pretty pricey.

Last edited:

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Isnt it true that U cant SMOKE around tarantulas ????
(Im not suggesting that any of you do) :?

Paul Day

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, Tobacco is a natural insecticide. So it's not a good idea.
It's not a good idea to smoke around any animal (or person) anyway.

Pauly

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Of course not !! Im a non-smoker anyway. So, is anyone annoyed yet ??????? ;P ;P ;P ;P

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I swear by HEPA filters. (I sleep SO much better) We got 2 of them in our house. One for the main roon, and one for the baby's room. I haven't considered one for the T room yet, but it's a very good idea. Problem is the price. the single room sized one we got was 45.00. the main room one we got was 190.00!

Spider Savior, it's the nicotine that is a pesticide.

Atrax

Last edited:

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
More than you ever wanted to know about air filters.

A HEPA filter (High Efficiency Particulate Air filter) is a filter that is at least 99.97% efficient in removing airborne particles of 0.3 micrometers in diameter. There are also ULPA air filters (Ultra Low Penetrating Air filters) which must filter out 99.999% of airborne particles down to 0.12 microns in size! For size reference smoke is generally around 1.0 micron. These are regulated designations in the US. You can't just sell any old filter and call it a HEPA filter. HEPA filters are excellent for everyday home applications. They filter out dust, mold spores, pollen, smoke, urticating hairs, etc. Nowadays the actual filtration devices aren't super expensive. The killer is usually the cost of replacement filters. ULPA filters are commonly used in the pharmaceutical industry to filter the ultra fine drug dust produced.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
I'm not familiar with the filter you mentioned. Is it a table model? Brand name? I wonder if it would also clear the air of mold and fungus spores. Might be a good idea for several reasons.

Botar

Edit: I found the HEPA filters on a website. Which model do you have? Some of them are pretty pricey.
I got mine at Target for around 80.00, wal-mart, k-mart and others would probably carry them as well.
Ed

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's where we got ours as well. The big one we got for 190.00 covers a room of 18'x22'. Our living room is pretty big and has a cathedral ceiling so we went with the biggest filter they had.

Atrax

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
hhuh ???

Im curious. How does a AIR FILTER help u sleep better ??????????? :? :confused:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Because I have allergies pretty bad. Plus, we have 2 cats. That plus the normal house dust floating around gave me a rough time while sleeping. (or trying to) With the Hepa filter working, my allergies are much better and I sleep better too. Trust me, it makes a big difference.

Atrax;)

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: hhuh ???

Originally posted by Spider_savior
Im curious. How does a AIR FILTER help u sleep better ??????????? :? :confused:
I don't know that I would be able to sleep with my HEPA filter on as it is slightly quieter than a freight train.......
Ed

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I use one in the T room also, I've found it really helps
It's a Honeywell, cost about $40 or so from Bi Mart.
I will eventually get one for the rest of the house, since my allergies can be quite bad as well. However, like Ed said, they can be noisy! I think the more expensive ones are quieter though.

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
OK, I hope no one who paid big bucks for their hepa filters gets too upset about this but here is a link you all might want to check out...

http://www.onlineallergycenter.com/aircleaner/

...I am plauged with numerous allergies and needed a way to cost effectively clean the air. I had bought one of the $60 hepa units and although it helped I really couldn't afford to get one for every room of the house. So I started researching online and found the above link. Now, I use any brand of filter that meets the specs for removal of allergins and they all work just fine, so you don't really HAVE to get the one they recommend. I am here to tell you that the home made airclean works BETTER than the expensive store model. It works quickly if you need it to - turn the fan to high - or it works quietly on low to keep the room nice and clean. Mind you, to get quiet I did have to spring for name-brand $20 box fans (GE) which say right on the package "Quiet". I was skeptical at first and so only bought one to try but after running it for just 3 hours in my computer / invert room I had to have more. I can't praise this cheap air cleaner enough!

Gail

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Gail's link seems like a great idea...but I just purchased a hepa.

Anyway, I bought one by Hunter and it was a a "large room" model, from Sam's Club for $140. It came with a FREE small-room hepa unit as well as replacement filters for both units. I can say it definitely hs improved the smell of my animal area.

Wade

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
has anyone seen or used that "ionic breeze" that they sell on late night infomercials??? it looks like it is the shiznit!!...but it is like $300-400 or something and you dont have to buy filters and it doesnt make any noise like a freight train.....might pay for itself in the long run if it truly works like it does in the informercials.....:cool: