Helpful tips for first time Millipede owner?

TigerLily87

Arachnopeon
I just got 2 Florida Grey Millipedes or Narceus Gordonus, they are so cool looking!
I own 4 Ts but have never owned giant millipedes, any useful tips or facts to give them the best care?
How often should I mist their tank or should I always keep it constantly damp?
Best food?
Then also I heard their excrement is toxic? I have already been handling them and they have been great! So calm and gentle compared to my Ts haha!
I read that some species are more toxic than others and can cause severe reactions, anyone familiar with these particular species and can tell me how bad it is??? Lol.
Either way I love these little guys! I was told I have a male and female.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
There are books on keeping millipedes you should consider getting. I've never heard of anyone having a severe reaction to quinones but it is true that different species produce more or less or vary in use. Your N. gordanus are middle of the road in quinone production. If annoyed they'll excrete a bit from the ozopores visible on the sides of the body.

TigerLily87

Arachnopeon
Yeh I do plan on getting a book, probably today if the pet stores are open and thank you.
I read that its the brightly coloured ones to watch out for as they contain cyanide??? Thats amazing haha!

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
im no mili expert, but i would think a good rule of thumb would be to not eat your pets or lick your hands after handling them. :embarrassed:{D sorry i couldnt be more help.

--Dan

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my N. gordanus will produce a funky smelling dark yellow liquid sometimes that stains your fingers for a bit. wouldnt want to get it in my eyes or mouth or anything but its pretty harmless otherwise.

TigerLily87

Arachnopeon
Thank you, so far they are doing great I guess the more common name for them are Ocala millies.
I've gotten many tips from other forums too, they are just very picky eaters but am going to keep trying a variety of fruits and veggies. So far all they seem to like is lettuce and potato then the bark pieces I provided for them to nibble on.
I've caught them quite a few times at night on the top of the substrate munching or I'll see a little head peeking out having a look around.
I will handle them from time to time, just to check how their doing...haven't had any yellow substance get me...yet lol except one of them did open its rear end and drop a large nasty poop...luckily it landed on their tank lid not on me :eek:
But, was rather gross hahaha :p