Help!

eeyore0304

Arachnopeon
I purchased a Pacman frog (Argentine Horned Frog) about a week ago. I had done my homework, and knew what I was getting into. Everything had me prepared for an eating machine. Except that isn't what I got. I purchased about a dozen and a half crickets (he's a little guy), and I still have the same crickets. I figured by now I would have had to get more. I have only seen him eat a couple and I figure there is probably about 8 crickets still in there. Maybe I'm just a worried mother. Any suggestions? Should I be worried?

Attachments

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
we got two pacman frogs at work and they don't even bother with crickets, they only eat mice. but they are about 4 in long from nose to rump. if there big enough I say try a mouse

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mice should not be their sole food item. A diet like that will lead to plenty of health problems down the road. Try giving it a varied diet. Try Crickets, waxworms, trout worms, or feeder fish. These frogs are ambush predators. They can go for a long period without food. They sometimes also go through a period of fasting. As long as it is healthy, you shouldn't have to worry about it not eating from time to time.
Mike

eeyore0304

Arachnopeon
He's not big enough for mice or fish yet. I have noticed that if I put him in his water bowl that he will sit and wait til a cricket walks the rim of it. He has had some success with that approach. Guess I'm just used to the other animals in the house that eat as soon as food is sat in front of them. Thanks for the replies. :)

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They generally won't go to alot of effort to catch prey, they're going to wait for it to be in the perfect position. Try dropping a large nightcrwler or other earthworm directly in front of them.

Wade