Help

tinacouch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi all. Have a question about Ephebopus murinus. This girl was given to me by a friend. My question is this .Need to move to a bigger tank but she won't come out of her burrow any suggestions. Thanks!!!:eek:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Put the current house in the new one, open it and leave it be. The tarantula will come out when it wants to. This is a fast, aggressive spider, be respectful in dealing with it. Put a hide, a water dish and food in the new house, it will eventually come out, but it might take months. This is the safest way for both you and the tarantula.

tinacouch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:confused: She,s in a 2 gallon tall critter cage. So I can't just put it in another tank without turning it on the side. Wouldn't that put her burrow at risk of collapsing.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
"if" the burrow does fall in she can get herself out. Its not that big of a deal.
If you dont want to touch her at all or deal with moving her then setting the tank on its side and letting her come out when she wants to is the best method to use.

tinacouch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have no problem touching her. Just wanted to make sure I did things the right way. She does'nt come out very much, in the 3 weeks that I've had her I have only seen her twice. I was told that she is very agressive. Thank you for the advice though.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Are you confident in driving her out of her burrow without harming her? You can place a tub over the entrance, and drive her out. This does take a little skill however..

-Sean

tinacouch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She is about 4 inches and I think she would do better in a bigger tank.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yep move her up to a 10gal and I am sure she will be in heaven. Good luck on the move......
If you are not going to do the tank into a tank method, try to do the transfer in a big open area so if she does bolt catching her with a cup wont be so hard.
I even take pokies out in to the yard so that they dont have anywhere to get to for 30 feet in all directions.
Bathtub works well to.

tinacouch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for all the advice. I plan on moving her tomorrow so I'll keep ya posted. Hopefully she'll be agreeable. And not try to eat me.LOL....

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, they can be nasty alright{D my female is always out and everytime i go to feed/water she's ready to take a go at me{D don't want to scare you,yours maybe ok,just be careful. let us know how it turns out.:)

T-chick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would go the bathtub method of safe transfer.. make sure the drain is closed!! and no duck toys, or shower curtains.
Place old house/tank in bathtub; If possible have new one set up and ready, with lid too.
Take a 2 liter bottle and cut the top 1/3 off. Leave screw on lid on it. And get a thin but sturdy peice of cardboard.
If you can tease her out with a chop stick or gently prod with a tooth brush,paint brush ( artist type) then get her out of her burrow.. . Or gently move the soil down so she is forced to the surface.. sort of like collapsing it gently behind her so she has to go forward.
Once up, have the soda bottle top, over the burrow entrance. Once she is up, place the card board under her. Thus keeping her in the top of the bottle. Unable to get away, or flick hairs. If A NW species. LOL

Then gently put the T in her little cage into the new house and take the lid off. or shake it very gently if she is up on the side. The move away, put the lid on and check on her to see if she has moved off.
If she has moved from the card board. then you can take that out.

Hope this helps. Some one told me how to do this, and I have used it a couple of times now. Very handy with quick and aggressive species.

tinacouch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey! Just checking back in to let you know the transfer went well.Me and the T are fine. Thanks T-chick for the advice,this will be a method that I will use often now that I know. Was wrong about her size,she's closer to 5 inches. She also showed her agressive side when I went to remove the cardboard.:embarrassed: Awesome display......Thanks to all who responded.