help

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have to agree totally. you asked me for help a week ago to sex your spiders. you are now offering help to others. ive raised rosea's from eggs but that hardly qualifies me as a breeder. you shouldnt be offering advise when you are obviously fairly new at this yourself.
i guess i also owe cheshire a very big im sorry for calling it like she seen it in a previous post.

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Jr is right. You could at least have taken another alternative, and just shipped your male off to a breeder who knows what they are doing and split the slings fifty fifty.

Oh well.. guess someone has to start somewhere.

By the way, you can't teach 200 slings to sit and stay. x-x

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
novak I had him around two months-3monts
I am almost 100% sure that your male will live for atleast another 2 years. Male G.roseas last a long time. I got a male that matured way before I got a hold of him and he stayed with me for over a year after I got him. He was going strong, the only reason he died was because the female attacked him and when I pulled him out I tryed saving him and kinda did, he lasted a couple more days but the bite was directly in the abdomen, so he died slowly. ANother expamle is there was a male G.rosea in my local petstore that was there for over 2 years. Who knows how long he was mature before that. All I'm trying to get at is, you still had a long time with your male, no need to rush into breeding, but I understand why you did and thats why I wish you luck with the breeding attempt. I am also gonna wish you luck on trying to sell those babies.

Pink_tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
dear novak, thank-you you releaved me soooo much!!! well atleast he's healthy he's building a sperm web again or he's getting reaady to maolt he's not eating
but last wek he ate 7 crickets

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
dear novak, thank-you you releaved me soooo much!!! well atleast he's healthy he's building a sperm web again or he's getting reaady to maolt he's not eating
but last wek he ate 7 crickets
No problem, Since he molted a couple of months ago I am pretty sure he molt for awhile. Just making more sperm webs.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
if he is trying to molt again, he will most likely die. if he survives his postultimate molt, he will at least lose his pedipalpy and maybe his front legs.

but he certainly is not going to molt so shortly after his ultimate molt again... plz pink tarantula, how about you learn first before you offer advice to others?

Pink_tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
okay okay {conclusion}

Well this isn't the last of me and my post *evil chuckle* but i do agree with some of the things said here. Just a confusion here Novak sais i have my male for another two years atleast yet Alice sais otherwise.( i don't get it)??
anyways one of the things been said is that my siggy does not cover me ^_^ so i'm changing it...Now just let me get this clear: i know alot about Ts but i can't explain it ... so i make things sound REAL complexe.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Alice was just explaining that if your mature male was going to go through another molt he will more then likely die. Most of them do, if not all. Anyways you don't need to worry about that because I am pretty sure it is to earl for him to try it again, and I think he'll live his life before he'll molt again.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Pink_Tarantula - if someone has questions about G. rosea you can just link them to the following page. G. rosea info

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hard to go wrong with advice from Stan Schultz.

Eeeeh...I think the T keeper's handbook is in need of a major overhaul, actually. The basic advice is good, but there's a handfull of things I can't quite swallow in there.

Pink_tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have to agree with chesire most of those manuals give you basics but the more complexe he harder to understans

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think that the care sheet that was linked to for G. rosea is pretty decent. Honestly, it's been so long since I've looked at a copy of Schultz's book that I can't remember what I thought of it.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i have to agree with chesire most of those manuals give you basics but the more complexe he harder to understans

Not just harder to understand, but if I remember right he says to put the female into the male's cage and now it's done the other way around.

If I remember right, he only touched on cooling periods and no instructions on how to make a mechanical mom.

The only two tarantulas that were discussed were G. rosea (under an older name, of course) and L. parahybana with a handfull of others being mentioned but not discussed. I don't even think they touched on arboreals at all. If they did, it was very brief.

It's just an older book. It's still great for the first time keeper, but an update wouldn't be unwarranted. I guess I'm just picky ;)

Although...it has been forever since I read it.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I remember back in the day (yes, we WERE walking uphill both way in the snow year 'round - thankyouverymuch) when I started keeping ts, there was absolutely no info available on them. You learned by talking to the few other people who were into them and by a whole lot of guessing.

In a way it was bad because a few of my early ts probably didn't get optimal care, but it was also good because I never would have gotten into African ts right off the bat if anyone had told me up-front that they were defensive. My first t was an H. gigas literally because I saw one at a reptile show, thought it was pretty, and it was only $10.