Help!

JensWest

Arachnopeon
Hi all!

I´ve had my scorpions (1.1 Androctonus mauritanicus, 0.0.1 Androctonus bicolor, 1.0 Androctonus amoreuxi and 0.0.1 Mesobtuhus martensii) for about ½ to 2 years and now all of a sudden they all have died! :wall: :confused:
My other scorpions (1.0 Leiurus quinquestriatus, 1.0 Parabuthus liosoma 0.0.2 Parabuthus transvaalicus and 0.0.1 Mesobuthus gibbosus) are still alive.
The strange thing is that all the others have died with in the time of a couple of months.

I have no idea of what is happening to my scorpions!:? :mad:

Has any one else here been in a situation like this?
Any one have an idea of how I can keep the others from dying?

I´ve kept all of them in simular ways after recomendations and haven´t had a problem in 2 years and now the are all starting to fall of one by one in a scary pase.

Happy for all comments and possibly help.

Greetings/ Jens

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Ojfan!

Anything with the water? Anything odd with the feeders? Where they all mature?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You should probably describe the conditions in which you were keeping them in.

JensWest

Arachnopeon
I´ve been buying feeders from the same place year after year. Never a problem with that. Latley I´ve been givin´ the same feeders to other scorpions that still is alive and spiders.

All of them who have died were adult but the M. martensi...

I´ve held a low profile with water though I´ve heard that they can get fungus infections from to much water. "They get enough water throu the food..." I´ve been told. And it have worked for me for about 2 years now.
The M. martensii I´ve held more damped, of cause, at 28 degrees C. But the desert species I´ve held on sand at about 30 degrees C. Sprayed with water one time a mounth at most.

If the problem is to less water it seems strange that scorpions I´ve held the same way in ½ to 2 years (depending on how long I´ve had them) should start dying at the same time. But I don´t know...

What do you think...?

Thanks/ Jens

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can't help but keep thinking about insecticides every time something like that happens. You living in an apartment? The sprays they use today don't have much odor like they used to. You would not notice but your bug stuff would. Hope the others stay alive! One time, I think I exposed a couple of scorps to some bleach residue and they died in a few minutes.

JensWest

Arachnopeon
Yes, I do live in an apartment. But they haven´t sprayed anything this year I´ve been living here.

"...every time something like that happens..." you say.
Isn´t it rare you meen? What has been the problem when things like this happened before? Has there ever been a answer to what had happened?

/ Jens

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Galapoheros, in Sweden spraying is very uncommon. I've actually never even heard of it here. The country gets so harsh winters that there are hardly ever infestations of roaches or similar insects.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but pesticides wouldn't be my first thought on this...

Last edited:

JensWest

Arachnopeon
True, true...

How do you keep your Androctonus then?
Have I done something wrong there?
My australis and mauritanicus have been held under the same conditions for two years now. Now one is dead and the other one is fine. I DON´T SEE A PATTERN!! Not among any of the deaths...

/ Jens

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's just one scenario out of several that makes sense to me when I think about it. Also, when I lived in apartments, it did happen to me twice in the same complex. All my stuff died in a couple of days and didn't know why. Both times I found out they sprayed for pests and didn't tell the occupants about it even though they are supposed to. Or, you may have gotten some residual from a neighbor spraying. Just a possibility. It was a pretty rough place where I used to live but, finally bought a house. Have you ever asked management how often they spray for pests?

Oh, didn't know it was they rarely sprayed there. But I'd check with management just in case... couldn't hurt.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yea if you don't get ants or roaches, there wouldn't be much spraying going on there. It gets so humid and hot here, the roaches and ants can become a problem. Well that's odd. I don't know what to think about your scorps dying. Maybe I'll come up some other possibilities. Good luck.

JensWest

Arachnopeon
But the deaths has occured over a period of two months. I have about therty spiders and scorpions and now four adult and one juv. scorpion has died. I almost never had a death before, except from spiderlings, and now adult scorpions are going under very fast. Is it just by coincidence?

/ Jens

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Or, you may have gotten some residual from a neighbor spraying.

Oh, didn't know it was they rarely sprayed there. But I'd check with management just in case... couldn't hurt.
Good idea. The nasty stuff might have come via the ventilation system (though that would depend on how the vent systsem in the house works, normally it's all pulled up to the roof). It's a bummer, what ever the reason!

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What were the symtoms prior to death, anything odd or common to them? What of the atmospheric conditions you've been experiencing lately...anything different?

JensWest

Arachnopeon
I did notice that some of the scorpions were out from their hides more at day time. That was quite odd...
During the winter the air is quite dry here but now it´s more damped at spring time. Scorpions has died during this period between winter and spring...

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I did notice that some of the scorpions were out from their hides more at day time. That was quite odd...
During the winter the air is quite dry here but now it´s more damped at spring time. Scorpions has died during this period between winter and spring...
Are the tanks exposed to this air? Possibly drying conditions played a role. In the wild scorpions locate micro environments where they can find the right humidity and soil water content to maximise their chances of survival, in a tank of course its up to you to supply this. Even though they have survived thus far, they may have been borderline before and you never knew it. Is there a relationship between the species, ie., the types of environments they're from in the wild?

JensWest

Arachnopeon
Ok...

All of them are from the middle east/north Africa, except the Mesobuthus martensi. The M. martensi have been held at a lower temp. and not as dry cause it´s from the coust of China. Can´t imagine I´ve held the M. martensi wrong... But it can be as you said before. Maybe I haven´t given the others right upportuneties to choose from in their tanks.

I´m just trying to see a pattern here. Can´t find one... I don´t think it is a coinsidence when all of a sudden five of my scorps are dying with in a period of two months. Seems strange to me...