help

chris thomson

Arachnopeon
i have a curly hair i got two days ago she moved around a coupe times but normaly just sits in a corner in a curl with her legs over her eyes or sits on the side of the tank. the tank is 80 segrees is she ok i cant post a picture bc i dont have a phone right now

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
It's hard to give advice without seeing the setup but that's normal behavior for a T that's still in the process of settling into a new enclosure. Could take up to a couple of weeks for the spider to get comfortable...if the enclosure is suitable?

chris thomson

Arachnopeon
It's hard to give advice without seeing the setup but that's normal behavior for a T that's still in the process of settling into a new enclosure. Could take up to a couple of weeks for the spider to get comfortable...if the enclosure is suitable?
it should be i have a few fake plants and a flower pot with sum sticks on it and a water bowl she moves around sum times like last night she moved spots

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
it should be i have a few fake plants and a flower pot with sum sticks on it and a water bowl she moves around sum times like last night she moved spots
Pictures? Sounds like normal behaviour for this situation but for precautions sake...

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
That's quite a bit too much open height for this species needs and presents a fall-injury risk.
You say 80F, and I see cords and a light... If you have a light that produces heat or any sort of under tank heater , turn it off immediately.
This also appears to be an aquarium with a different lid. If that lid is made of screen/mesh it should be replaced with a piece of Plexiglas with holes drilled for ventilation, as the mesh can trap the tarantulas tarsal claws leading to leg loss or potentially fatal fall injury. Critically, you NEED to add substrate, quite a lot of it. The space between the top of the substrate and the lid should be no more than 1.5x the spider's diagonal leg span (DLS - measured from a front leg to the back leg on the opposite side, as though the spider were stretched out).
I strongly encourage you to read this thread and all of the linked information in it (other than the material specific to arboreal species)

Agreed, "if the enclosure is suitable" which I'm sure you'll agree it is NOT.

chris thomson

Arachnopeon
Agreed, "if the enclosure is suitable" which I'm sure you'll agree it is NOT.
thank you i have cocanut substrait it says on the bag its just in soft form it just a normal light with no heat she normal doesint climb but i cheek on her every hour and if she does i use a paint brush to move her back down can you tell me why shes balding bc im new to this so sorry can you make a list of what i would need please

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
thank you i have cocanut substrait it says on the bag its just in soft form it just a normal light with no heat she normal doesint climb but i cheek on her every hour and if she does i use a paint brush to move her back down can you tell me why shes balding bc im new to this so sorry can you make a list of what i would need please
They all climb. You need to change the environment so that climbing does not create potentially fatal fall risks. Read the threads in the post I linked above. Go to YouTube and search for Tom Moran's videos on husbandry. Bald spots are almost always just the tarantula "flicking" the urticating setae (barbed "hairs" on the abdomen they use for defense) and not a problem. Don't focus on that, focus on getting the rest of your care routine down and fixing the problems with the enclosure. All of that is VERY VERY well covered in the thread I linked in my first reply or in Tom's videos.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
That enclosure is far too large and has far too much vertical space, either fill it with substrate so that the gap between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure is no more than 1.5x the tarantula's leg span, or rehouse to something smaller (like a large kritter keeper or a 15L - 20L plastic tub).

Attachments

chris thomson

Arachnopeon
That enclosure is far too large and has far too much vertical space, either fill it with substrate so that the gap between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure is no more than 1.5x the tarantula's leg span, or rehouse to something smaller (like a large kritter keeper or a 15L - 20L plastic tub).
what tyoe f substrait would be good to buy

how do you make a burrow for it

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
You're going to have to do some of the work here yourself, we can't spoon-feed you everything you need to know. Start where I told you to start. Read that beginner thread, REALLY read it. Absorb it. Watch Tom Moran's videos. It's all there.

omni

Arachnobaron
not sure how big the T is, 3"? but you don't have to worry about making a burrow. they will landscape the tank for you! haha. T. albopilosus or Curly Hairs love to burrow when small, still plow tanks and bury water dishes when they grow up but stay out in the open a lot, sometimes packing themselves into an open corner esp. after eating. They need deep substrate. you can bury the pot more so the opening is not real big, if they like it, they hog it out and near a molt, will seal up inside with web and dirt. it'll lose the bald spot when it molts and it will be a beautiful fuzzball !!
hope you enjoy this species! they are one of my top favorites

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Get rid of the light, tarantulas don’t like bright light. Could be one reason she is all scrunched up.

chris thomson

Arachnopeon
You're going to have to do some of the work here yourself, we can't spoon-feed you everything you need to know. Start where I told you to start. Read that beginner thread, REALLY read it. Absorb it. Watch Tom Moran's videos. It's all there.
is this good

Attachments

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
im not really done with it i have to et the money to get more substrait im only 16 but is this a good one i moved her ito this
I see that you have removed the lighting, which is good, and the lid is not mesh, which is another improvement. Good job there. However, the size is still much larger than this spider at this size needs and the height from lid to substrate is much much too high. The floor space will make it harder to monitor whether it eats or not, and will reduce the amount of interaction between the spider and its prey. These are not great things but aren't terrible, it will just mean slower growth most likely. The height from top of the substrate to the lid, however IS a big, potentially fatal problem. If the spider climbs and falls from that height onto a hard/sharp object like those sticks it probably won't survive. You need to correct the substrate height as soon as possible, top priority. Being young usually means less spending money, but you don't have to let that stop you. You can use plain unfertilized topsoil from a home improvement store (Lowes or Home Depot type places) - it's usually the cheapest thing they have labeled as soil, usually for filling holes. Just be sure it doesn't have added fertilizer or manure or things like that. This type of soil is usually under $3 for a big (40-50 pound) bag which is more than enough for this enclosure. If you're not sure whether it's safe to use, post a picture of the bag with the contents section of the label visible and readable & someone here can help you be sure it's safe. I would also remove those sticks.

chris thomson

Arachnopeon
I see that you have removed the lighting, which is good, and the lid is not mesh, which is another improvement. Good job there. However, the size is still much larger than this spider at this size needs and the height from lid to substrate is much much too high. The floor space will make it harder to monitor whether it eats or not, and will reduce the amount of interaction between the spider and its prey. These are not great things but aren't terrible, it will just mean slower growth most likely. The height from top of the substrate to the lid, however IS a big, potentially fatal problem. If the spider climbs and falls from that height onto a hard/sharp object like those sticks it probably won't survive. You need to correct the substrate height as soon as possible, top priority. Being young usually means less spending money, but you don't have to let that stop you. You can use plain unfertilized topsoil from a home improvement store (Lowes or Home Depot type places) - it's usually the cheapest thing they have labeled as soil, usually for filling holes. Just be sure it doesn't have added fertilizer or manure or things like that. This type of soil is usually under $3 for a big (40-50 pound) bag which is more than enough for this enclosure. If you're not sure whether it's safe to use, post a picture of the bag with the contents section of the label visible and readable & someone here can help you be sure it's safe. I would also remove those sticks.
ok thanks for the help means a lot

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
she normal doesint climb but i cheek on her every hour and if she does i use a paint brush to move her back down
This is not good, logical husbandry. Sooner or later your T will climb, for example, when you are asleep (or don't you sleep) and the new name of your T will be SPLAT at some point.

The problem with ownership of a wild animal is your choices don't affect YOU, they affect the animal in your care. If it dies because of something you did, who cares, you are still alive. But the poor animal dies because of your mistakes, that's not right.

The best distance from substrate to lid of a tank is no more than 1.5x diagonal leg span. I keep all my terrestrials in ExoTerra Breeder boxes so they don't fall and DIE.

You would save more money if you bought something that didn't have a lot of height, than buying a lot of substrate.

chris thomson

Arachnopeon
This is not good, logical husbandry. Sooner or later your T will climb, for example, when you are asleep (or don't you sleep) and the new name of your T will be SPLAT at some point.

The problem with ownership of a wild animal is your choices don't affect YOU, they affect the animal in your care. If it dies because of something you did, who cares, you are still alive. But the poor animal dies because of your mistakes, that's not right.

The best distance from substrate to lid of a tank is no more than 1.5x diagonal leg span. I keep all my terrestrials in ExoTerra Breeder boxes so they don't fall and DIE.

You would save more money if you bought something that didn't have a lot of height, than buying a lot of substrate.
dont have to be rude im new to this you were in my spot before and theres not that much space in there for her to fall i just added evem mor top soil