Help!

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I decided to clean my P. cambridgi's vivarium out today. As I wanted to get out its old exivum and the old webbing. I figured it had its fair share of cricket flakes. Well, I tood it to the tub like everyone suggests. When I was taking out the webbing, the thing darted out like lightning. I had a deli cup waiting to plop on it for such an occurance. Well, when I plopped the deli cup on it, I really plopped it on it -- right onto a couple of its legs. I think he lost number 2 and 3 (the 2nd and 3rd on HIS left side). He can still walk around and even climb.

I think the legs came off cleanly from the body. And I haven't noticed him leaking any hemoglyph. Is there anything I should do for him?

:8o :8o Big Dragonfly :8o :8o

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
If there's no visible leaks, there's really nothing you can do. Are the legs completely off, or are there sections of them left? Your best be it to just keep an eye on it and make sure that there is a source of water for the T to drink from. Water is the most important thing for an injured T, especially if there was any hemolymph loss...

Scott

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here's a closeup of the spider:

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Heres a shot at his vivarium. As you can see, I have a pop bottle cap at the bottom for water, but I have never seen him drink from it. It is where the crickets go to die...

Anyways, I usually try to keep moisture on the walls of the vivarium. Is that good enough?

Any other suggestions?

Big Dragonfly

Last edited:

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Man, That really sucks.
Sounds like it'll be ok though..
It'll have to learn to play the slots with its right arms, till it molts out of it..;)

Ernie

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
take away two of its shoes....
on a serious note, I have a rose hair that my son slammed the lid on two months ago that lost two legs and bent the third leg the wrong way locking it in place, picture your knee bending the wrong way and locking there, thats what it looks like, and to this day its fine, hasnt shed yet, kinda slow, but it still runs around and eats.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly

Anyways, I usually try to keep moisture on the walls of the vivarium. Is that good enough?

Any other suggestions?

Big Dragonfly
Keeping moisture on the walls should be fine. You may want to put the T in a slightly warmer spot as well. As long as there's not any leaking, your T should be fine in the next couple of molts. :)

Scott

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've made this suggestion before elsewhere, but I've had good luck giving unflavored Pedialyte to injured or stressed ts and other animals. It can be spritzed on the side of the cage (though it will leave some stains that can be wiped up with a damp paper towel) or put in a water dish. I don't have any scientific evidence to support this, but it's worked for me.

Also, when I work with fast or aggressive species of t, I keep a large aquarium net on hand with the handle bent up at a 90 degree angle. It's easier to maneuver that way and a little more deft than a deli cup. Great for catching escaped geckos, too!

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Galeogirl,

Could you let me know What ''Pedialyte'' is.

Chid

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pedialyte is the brand name of an electrolyte solution for children. It's found in the baby food aisle at the grocery store. Store brands are exactly the same as the brand name, just be sure to get the unflavored variety, most animals won't touch the flavored stuff (except birds).

I've given it to dogs, cats, rabbits, birds, reptiles, and invertebrates, all with good results.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, he didn't make it.

Big Dragonfly

I also found my Puerto Rican Pygmy dead too. I think it bought it from a cricket. I only had a couple of pinheads in there with him but...He was pretty much a pinhead himself.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
oh wow...Big Dragonfly..what a BUMMER :(
2 in a row, that really bites huh?
It can get really unnerving when a t takes off and starts running, especially one that fast. The trick is to stay calm, and if you have the bathroom door closed, there's not many places for it to go.
Sometimes, the adrenaline gets to pumping, and you think 'capture at all costs'!!!
If you let them do a bit of running, they will usually stop at some point (sometimes in the middle of your back however!) and you can capture them more easily. The fish net idea that Galeogirl put forth is very helpful with those fast escapees as well!

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
Well, he didn't make it.

Big Dragonfly

I also found my Puerto Rican Pygmy dead too. I think it bought it from a cricket. I only had a couple of pinheads in there with him but...He was pretty much a pinhead himself.
Hey Big Dragonfly, remind me next time you order, and I'll give you another one, on top of the usual "freebie".

Swifty

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Swifty
Hey Big Dragonfly, remind me next time you order, and I'll give you another one, on top of the usual "freebie".

Swifty
Thanks Swifty

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Swifty Rocks! Talk about excellent customer service. That is definately going above and beyond!

I will probably be ordering sometime around the new year.

Yeah, at first, I wasn't sure if I was going to like the Puerto
Rican Pygmy. Looking at pictures of adults, I kind of thought that the chelicerae (spelling? -- fangs) were way too big for the body that they were coming out of. But then the little guy make some really cool network or burrows. And then it was cool.

Again, thanks Kelly!

Big Dragonfly

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah, Swifts Inverts is cool....

Yeah...Kelly is a really nice fellow and I like his selection of tarantulas a lot...I use to lurk mostly at PetCenterUSA being I was only a couple of miles from them but they exploded and sank or something....heh heh....sucks...
Spider Hunter

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, kelly swift is definitely a cool guy. hey kelly! did you forget about me? i havent heard from you in a long time... ;) for real though, he is a great person, and i havent even ordered from him yet!

kellygirl