Help!!!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
never heard of it. doubt a spider would let itself bleed to death because of a leg wound. i dont think much hemoglymph even flows through one leg. even if it did, the sphincter at the "top" of the leg would close and stop blood flow.
I agree with you if it's a leg problem (it looks like it might be). If the carapace near the joint was damaged though then that's another story. They can cut off the flow of a dropped leg with the sphincter, but any other punctured area would "bleed" with no way for the T to stop it.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I agree with you if it's a leg problem (it looks like it might be). If the carapace near the joint was damaged though then that's another story. They can cut off the flow of a dropped leg with the sphincter, but any other punctured area would "bleed" with no way for the T to stop it.
ive had a MM boehmei with a small puncture on the abdomen. sealed up by itself within a day.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
ive had a MM boehmei with a small puncture on the abdomen. sealed up by itself within a day.
I've seen where people have had the puncture leak stop on it's own and where others have put stuff on there to try to stop the leak themselves. The success seemed to depend on how bad the puncture was. Hemolymph, if I am remembering right, doesn't clot as well as our blood. So unless it is small wound or something is used to stop the flow the fluid the T can "bleed" out.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
I've seen where people have had the puncture leak stop on it's own and where others have put stuff on there to try to stop the leak themselves. The success seemed to depend on how bad the puncture was. Hemolymph, if I am remembering right, doesn't clot as well as our blood. So unless it is small wound or something is used to stop the flow the fluid the T can "bleed" out.
Yeah and I've seen everything from flour, super glue, and I recall reading about someone trying liquid bandage.

Brittanyann

Arachnopeon
IMG_6517.JPG IMG_6517.JPG IMG_6515.JPG image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hello, sorry I wasn't sent an email saying that all of you had replied I am sooo sorry about that
But....
So no more sponge? Just fresh water everyday?
And where would I get the coconut substrate?
And she has a exp terra tank with a screen on top I did in fact find out how she got out and I fixed the top...
And here are more pictures of her.. took a few bc she wouldn't sit still very long..

Brittanyann

Arachnopeon
If she had actually been injured by a dog or cat, I think you would know it by now.

Balding isn't anything to worry about. It just means she kicked off her urticating hairs. (While she was loose, she may have felt threatened.) She'll get a new set of urticating hairs when she molts.

However, I would definitely replace those wood chips with a more suitable substrate. Wood chips are coarse and unsuitable for burrowing. Additionally, the tarantula may get abrasions or worse, be impaled in a fall.

Coconut fiber or coir is a good substrate for a more arid setup. You can also mix it with some peat to change the texture. Topsoil (without any pesticides, fungicides, or fertilizers) can also work.

To prevent fall injuries, you want the distance between the top of the substrate and the lid not to exceed 1.5 times the tarantula's diagonal legspan.
Thank you so much

Brittanyann

Arachnopeon
I agree with the others, replace that chips for the mentioned coco fiber, plantation soil or spaghnum peat moss. And if it is an A. seemanni, provide it plenty of slightly moist substrate for burrowing. And is that a sponge in the water dish? o_O If yes, drop it into the trash can, there is really no need for a sponge becuse it could cause pesticides and mites. Anyway, gorgeus T, take care for him/her. One molt, and that bald spot is going to disappear. :)
Thank you so much! And sponge gone!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
But....
Yes, just top off the water they can drink fine and wont drown.

Online and most pet stores. Here is a link from amazon. You just have to rehydrate it which is pretty easy.

And she has a exp terra tank with a screen on top I did in fact find out how she got out and I fixed the top...
They can get stuck on the screen so while people do use them it would be better to replace it with drilled plexiglass if you can.

And here are more pictures of her.. took a few bc she wouldn't sit still very long..
She still looks like she might be leaking fluid around her leg area. Keep an eye on that for the next few days and make sure she has plenty of water.

cold blood

Staff member
i wouldnt worry...but considering your concern, handling it is a horrific idea.

Just leave it be.

An exoterra is not appropriate for a terrestrial without significant mods, which would have the front door be at the top. otherwise its not possibly to add an appropriate amount of sub to create a safe home. Id suggest a new enclosure without so much height....front opening doors are indicitave of an arboreal enclosure.

Brittanyann

Arachnopeon
i wouldnt worry...but considering your concern, handling it is a horrific idea.

Just leave it be.

An exoterra is not appropriate for a terrestrial without significant mods, which would have the front door be at the top. otherwise its not possibly to add an appropriate amount of sub to create a safe home. Id suggest a new enclosure without so much height....front opening doors are indicitave of an arboreal enclosure.

Thank you, only reason for handling was to take the pictures. And to pick her up and put her back in her tank after found, and where would I get that type of enclosure?

Brittanyann

Arachnopeon
But....
Yes, just top off the water they can drink fine and wont drown.

Online and most pet stores. Here is a link from amazon. You just have to rehydrate it which is pretty easy.

They can get stuck on the screen so while people do use them it would be better to replace it with drilled plexiglass if you can.

She still looks like she might be leaking fluid around her leg area. Keep an eye on that for the next few days and make sure she has plenty of water.

Okay thank you so much, and yes it does look like a bubble of liquid around her leg I'll keep an eye out.. is there anywhere I could take her to be checked out? This is my first T.. kinda unsure about a lot of things o thought I knew especially now that everything told to me by the pet store has been wrong so far...

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Okay thank you so much, and yes it does look like a bubble of liquid around her leg I'll keep an eye out.. is there anywhere I could take her to be checked out? This is my first T.. kinda unsure about a lot of things o thought I knew especially now that everything told to me by the pet store has been wrong so far...
Unfortunately, I've never seen a Vet that was able to do anything to help a T.

Pet store info is often wrong. If you have questions beyond what has been addressed here we'll be glad to help you with them. As far as a good new enclosure, I like these a lot. They are really clear and with a small amount of modifications they make great T homes. I believe you can buy just one if that's all you need. If you would like more info on how I mod them feel free to ask.

Here is what mine look like after modding it.

Good luck.

MGery92

Arachnosquire
Eh, those American pet stores... :dead: we are lucky here in Hungary, the sellers are mostly breeders and/or experienced keepers.

You should build something like this for your spider (approved by the community of AB :) ):

A. seemani_enclosure1.jpg A. seemani_enclosure2.jpg A. seemani_enclosure3.jpg A. seemani_enclosure4.jpg

Deep, slightly moist substrate (it is a mix of plantation soil and sphagnum peat moss). A hide, where she can start to burrow. A water dish (without the sponge). Enough holes for cross ventilation (made with a soldering iron). The decoration is forest moss (not from the wild!). My Aphonopelma seemanni is only a juvenile, but she made a long tunnel. They are bulldozers! ;)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Take a full top down photo of the enclosure. Does it have a door on the side or does it only open from the top?

If it doesn't have a door it would be easy to swap out the screen in the top and make that enclosure work. Depending on the size of the T.

cold blood

Staff member
yeah, you dont need a vet, the t should be just fine in time.

lots of enclosure options....just make sure its top opening and is filled enough so theres no fall risk....my personal preference is sterilite...cheap and easily ventilated.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
upload_2017-5-25_19-22-54.png These are great for T's they are quite a decent size for most juvies but you do get larger ones, these make great enclosures for terrestrial sp. and are easy to DIY into a great enclosure. The brand name is Braplast. What I like about these are that the whole top opens or you can open it like in picture, they're stackable as well.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
View attachment 241345 These are great for T's they are quite a decent size for most juvies but you do get larger ones, these make great enclosures for terrestrial sp. and are easy to DIY into a great enclosure. The brand name is Braplast. What I like about these are that the whole top opens or you can open it like in picture, they're stackable as well.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
It still looks like the T is oozing fluid from the leg area as mentioned before, have you found the cause of this, your best to get that sorted sooner rather than later, it could be nothing but I'm sure if it's haemolymph it could be serious, better to be safe than sorry.......