Help!!!

Brittanyann

Arachnopeon
IMG_6454.JPG IMG_6455.JPG My tarantula got out about a week (maybe even two weeks) ago and I just now found her under my rug today, well I was looking at her and she lost a lot of hair on her abdomen, but hasn't seemed to lose any weight. I put fresh water in her tank, and also feed her, she's drinking and eating fine but I'm worried about her balding. Also I have a kitten and a pitt bull, could the loss of hair mean one of my animals got to her? Will she be okay? I'm really worried about her.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'm worried about her balding. Also I have a kitten and a pitt bull, could the loss of hair mean one of my animals got to her? Will she be okay? I'm really worried about her.
If she had actually been injured by a dog or cat, I think you would know it by now.

Balding isn't anything to worry about. It just means she kicked off her urticating hairs. (While she was loose, she may have felt threatened.) She'll get a new set of urticating hairs when she molts.

However, I would definitely replace those wood chips with a more suitable substrate. Wood chips are coarse and unsuitable for burrowing. Additionally, the tarantula may get abrasions or worse, be impaled in a fall.

Coconut fiber or coir is a good substrate for a more arid setup. You can also mix it with some peat to change the texture. Topsoil (without any pesticides, fungicides, or fertilizers) can also work.

To prevent fall injuries, you want the distance between the top of the substrate and the lid not to exceed 1.5 times the tarantula's diagonal legspan.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
If she had actually been injured by a dog or cat, I think you would know it by now.

Balding isn't anything to worry about. It just means she kicked off her urticating hairs. (While she was loose, she may have felt threatened.) She'll get a new set of urticating hairs when she molts.

However, I would definitely replace those wood chips with a more suitable substrate. Wood chips are coarse and unsuitable for burrowing. Additionally, the tarantula may get abrasions or worse, be impaled in a fall.

Coconut fiber or coir is a good substrate for a more arid setup. You can also mix it with some peat to change the texture. Topsoil (without any pesticides, fungicides, or fertilizers) can also work.

To prevent fall injuries, you want the distance between the top of the substrate and the lid not to exceed 1.5 times the tarantula's diagonal legspan.
I can only agree with @Ungoliant, replace the substrate to some coco fibre, the spiders hairs will grow back once it molts so really the only thing to worry about is the sharp pieces of wood that could kill it, do this ASAP.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
It's likely that she kicked all the hairs from feeling threatened and/or stressed. Let her be to "calm down" and just monitor her condition.... and please replace that bark substrate with some coco fiber.

How did she get out?

MGery92

Arachnosquire
I agree with the others, replace that chips for the mentioned coco fiber, plantation soil or spaghnum peat moss. And if it is an A. seemanni, provide it plenty of slightly moist substrate for burrowing. And is that a sponge in the water dish? o_O If yes, drop it into the trash can, there is really no need for a sponge becuse it could cause pesticides and mites. Anyway, gorgeus T, take care for him/her. One molt, and that bald spot is going to disappear. :)

sasker

Arachnoprince
Welcome to AB! I think this is your first T, is it not?

Please have a look around and make good use of the search button of this website. There is loads of information to properly setup your enclosure. As other members pointed out, there are a couple of things that must change in your setup if you want to properly care for this amazing animal. If you like, you can post a picture of your entire enclosure for extra tips. Also, once you changed the setup of your terrarium, please post pictures of the new situation as well.

I don't know how you got your spider, but if you bought it from a pet store, I have the following tip: forget what they told you about tarantula care in the pet shop. Best. advice. ever! :)

sasker

Arachnoprince
I took another look at the bottom picture. Is there a small wound on the right side of your spider at the base of the second leg? If possible, please take another picture, just in case.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I took another look at the bottom picture. Is there a small wound on the right side of your spider at the base of the second leg? If possible, please take another picture, just in case.
It looks a bit wet indeed...
Is your spider leaking fluids @Brittanyann ?

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Yeah as stated I consider that wet spot on her leg to be more concerning then the bald spot which bald spots are fairly common in New World tarantulas. Following the advice here on substrate is very critical to the survival of your T. Both the substrate type and the lack of substrate can both lead to a dead pet. And as stated the sponge needs to go.. its seems like you got some bad advice from a pet store. Its happened to alot of us on here. Sponges can harbor bacteria and other nasty stuff and its simply not needed, water is no threat to your T.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
It looks a bit wet indeed...
Is your spider leaking fluids @Brittanyann ?
I've just had another look aswell, it does look as though your T is leaking fluid of sorts, could you take another picture and post iit ASAP it's on the right side, second leg, at the base, could be water but better to check it out.....

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I've just had another look aswell, it does look as though your T is leaking fluid of sorts, could you take another picture and post iit ASAP it's on the right side, second leg, at the base, could be water but better to check it out.....
I'm not sure but I think it is early morning over there...she's probably at school or work...

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Get that sponge out too, a dumb myth made up by pet stores.
Blah blah blah, everything Ungoliant said. I'd recommend just buying a exo tera breeding box or Kritter keeper. Screen lids don't work well with tarantulas. You can replace it with acrylic, but I think it's easier to just switch the cage.

Also, idont understand why people are worried about one leg. Tarantulas need 4 to move well. She probably injured it falling out of her cage. There should be no sharp things inside the cage.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She should be OK if you figure out HOW your cherished pet escaped. That's a recipe for a dead T. I'd be more concerned about that then the bald bottom. Everyone provided good advice IMO.

Your Ts home needs significant changes to be safe for your T. Sub is too low from the top. Distance should be only 1.5X DLS.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
She should be OK if you figure out HOW your cherished pet escaped. That's a recipe for a dead T. I'd be more concerned about that then the bald bottom. Everyone provided good advice IMO.

Your Ts home needs significant changes to be safe for your T. Sub is too low from the top. Distance should be only 1.5X DLS.
Couldn't agree more having had another look the substrate needs to be much deeper to 1.5 x DLS as viper69 said, you either need to top up the enclosure with lots of sub or change the enclosure, but If I were you I would add extra substrate to make the enclosure safe for the spider, should have mentioned this earlier, sorry but the last thing you want is your T to fall and rupture its abdomen, so lots to be getting on with OP, once all the basics are covered you can sit back and watch your spider in disbelief, they are such amazing animals, enjoy........

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Also, idont understand why people are worried about one leg. Tarantulas need 4 to move well. She probably injured it falling out of her cage. There should be no sharp things inside the cage.
Can't speak for the others, but I was worried because it could still be losing fluids and 'bleed' (for lack of a better word, I know it is not blood), to death.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Can't speak for the others, but I was worried because it could still be losing fluids and 'bleed' (for lack of a better word, I know it is not blood), to death.
It's something called hemolymph. I agree that it could be life threatening if it's continuously flowing out.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
That was my thinking as well, its quite possibly still leeking fluids based on the picture and its kinda hard to tell for sure or not if its comming from the leg. It could be a puncture on the carapace directly behind the leg and just flowing down and around the joint. If its was my T i'd rather know for sure where it was leaking fluids from.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
never heard of it. doubt a spider would let itself bleed to death because of a leg wound. i dont think much hemoglymph even flows through one leg. even if it did, the sphincter at the "top" of the leg would close and stop blood flow.