Help

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
As far as the taming thing is the more you handle them the more they get used to this isn't that considered came in them
This whole Peanut thing started back in October when I joined Arachnoboards. Earlier in the year I had met a B. albopilosum at a school event and this tarantula was totally fine with people touching her. The tarantula's name was Peanut. When I asked the caretaker why the tarantula was so calm, I was told that the tarantula had gotten used to humans and no longer associated them with danger. At the time, I didn't realize that there were species of tarantulas that are just that calm anyway. So you can imagine my confusion when I joined Arachnoboards and saw people taking about how tarantulas are impossible to tame, so I started a thread claiming that I had seen "proof" that it is possible. @Chris LXXIX found it particularly funny and outlandish, so now he has turned Peanut into a meme. I love it.

Anyway, to answer the question, no. Tarantulas cannot be tamed. At all. Their brains are too simple and unstructured to allow for thought, and they are almost completely blind. Their sense of smell is limited to basically pheromones. They can never recognize their owner.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
what do I do
Nothing

I strongly suggest you read up on tarantula behavior in captivity. This is one of the most common behaviors they do, aside from eating.

You cannot tame a tarantula, they are wild animals. These are not dogs or cats.

Michaelaz

Arachnopeon
This whole Peanut thing started back in October when I joined Arachnoboards. Earlier in the year I had met a B. albopilosum at a school event and this tarantula was totally fine with people touching her. The tarantula's name was Peanut. When I asked the caretaker why the tarantula was so calm, I was told that the tarantula had gotten used to humans and no longer associated them with danger. At the time, I didn't realize that there were species of tarantulas that are just that calm anyway. So you can imagine my confusion when I joined Arachnoboards and saw people taking about how tarantulas are impossible to tame, so I started a thread claiming that I had seen "proof" that it is possible. @Chris LXXIX found it particularly funny and outlandish, so now he has turned Peanut into a meme. I love it.

Anyway, to answer the question, no. Tarantulas cannot be tamed. At all. Their brains are too simple and unstructured to allow for thought, and they are almost completely blind. Their sense of smell is limited to basically pheromones. They can never recognize their owner.
Maybe but like you said they get use to being handled and I guess over there fear on sense of danger from use. Isn't that being tamed????

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Maybe but like you said they get use to being handled and I guess over there fear on sense of danger from use. Isn't that being tamed????
That's the thing...they don't. They still see us as a big moving threat anytime we interact with them.
Also, they are unable to 'feel' anything, whether it is fear or contentment. They are living by instinct. Something happening? Instinct.
Theraphosidae cannot be tamed because they lack the understanding and skill of reasoning that is needed to do so.

Michaelaz

Arachnopeon
That's the thing...they don't. They still see us as a big moving threat anytime we interact with them.
Also, they are unable to 'feel' anything, whether it is fear or contentment. They are living by instinct. Something happening? Instinct.
Theraphosidae cannot be tamed because they lack the understanding and skill of reasoning that is needed to do so.
OK, just a thought ?!?!?!?

Michaelaz

Arachnopeon
Well she has got used to the new house don't want to put in more but do need to put in a plant any suggestions as to what. As of now she has a cork bark cave and a water dish.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
This is it now
I would add waaaayy more substrate to that enclosure. Even for European standards, that is not nearly enough ;)
Don't wait too long, that is a very risky enclosure. I'd also put in some fake leaves/branches, it looks a bit barren, but that is just personal preference.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member

Michaelaz

Arachnopeon
This is it now
OK I'm back with another problem!?!?!?
My female LP has now dug out her little cave and closed off the opening I did cut back on the feeding to 4 large crickets a week I think she's mad at me any ideas

Michaelaz

Arachnopeon
My female LP has now dug out her little cave and closed off the opening I did cut back on the feeding to 4 large crickets a week I think she's mad at me any ideas
Also looking for a male LP

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
What is the problem? Closed burrow means do not disturb, it could be getting ready to molt.
Theraphosidae are unable to hold a grudge and be mad at you. They lack a brain for that ;)

Michaelaz

Arachnopeon
What is the problem? Closed burrow means do not disturb, it could be getting ready to molt.
Theraphosidae are unable to hold a grudge and be mad at you. They lack a brain for that ;)
I know just joking around she has now closed it up completely. I've read that she might be in there about a month. By the way she's a LP.