Help

Michaelaz

Arachnopeon
I have a salmon pink bird eating tarantula and she's new to me I just changed out the peat moss in her terrarium and now she's stuck on the glass and she doesn't want to walk on it it's coconut husk and potting soil mix what do I do

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Nothing, they often get stressed out after a rehouse or substrate change give her time to acclimate. Why did you change it? Shouldn't need to unless you had bad mold problem or an infestation.

Michaelaz

Arachnopeon
Nothing, they often get stressed out after a rehouse or substrate change give her time to acclimate. Why did you change it? Shouldn't need to unless you had bad mold I just got her and figured it's a new house Fresh Start AZ so I changed it plus it looks like it had two little balls of poop in it but she's healthy she's good probably a little too much but thank you for your information

Michaelaz

Arachnopeon
Just got her and figured I knew how side starter out fresh and new now I just feel dumb but thank you for your information

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Tarantula Poop is a liquid chalky substance. The little balls were probably a bolus from her last meal which you should clean out regularly with tongs so it doesn't spoil or attract mites. Other than that no need to change it out regularly. Good luck and welcome to the forum

Michaelaz

Arachnopeon
Tarantula Poop is a liquid chalky substance. The little balls were probably a bolus from her last meal which you should clean out regularly with tongs so it doesn't spoil or attract mites. Other than that no need to change it out regularly. Good luck and welcome to the forum
Thank you for your information in and advice this is probably more than likely not the first you hear me so be prepared cuz this is my second tarantula in the first one I had was in prison so this is the first one I'm actually trying to raise the right way

Michaelaz

Arachnopeon
Thank you for your information in and advice this is probably more than likely not the first you hear me so be prepared cuz this is my second tarantula in the first one I had was in prison so this is the first one I'm actually trying to raise the right way
One more question she eats good I give her three to four crickets like three times a week and she eat some with no problem is that a good thing or bad thing

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
That depends on the size of your LP and the size of the prey. I feed my spiderlings every 3-5 days till they refuse or molt, Juveniles every 7-10 days, Adults every 14-25 days depending on abdomen size. All sizes get 1-2 prey items about 3/4 the size of there abdomen and carapace length.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
You had a tarantula while you were in prison, or the tarantula was in prison? I am curious, because I've heard of people having dogs in prison for therapy animals and so on, but tarantulas?

Also you're in the right place to get your questions answered. The folks here will help you get all set up!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah... that's interesting, man. Henry Charrière "had" Southern America centipedes in his 'room' (straight on his head from cellar, btw) you a Theraphosidae :pompous:

Please explain, I'd love to hear :-s

Or, you were caring for one before entering?

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
That's a lot of vertical space. Considering your spider appears to be a climber, I'd recommend at least 3-4 more inches of substrate. The rule of thumb is the vertical space shouldn't exceed twice the legspan of the spider. So, at the height she's at in your picture, there shouldn't be enough space to go any higher than that.

In regards to changing that climbing behavior, sometimes there's nothing you can do other than adapt to it. Animals will do what they choose for whatever reason, and it's up to you as the keeper to make sure they stay safe doing it:)

And on that thought, I would also consider moving the water dish away from the walls, in case she happens to be climbing above it and takes a fall. Spiders are incredibly fragile.

Michaelaz

Arachnopeon
You had a tarantula while you were in prison, or the tarantula was in prison? I am curious, because I've heard of people having dogs in prison for therapy animals and so on, but tarantulas?

Also you're in the right place to get your questions answered. The folks here will help you get all set up!
It's kinda funny before I got my first tee I was deathly afraid of tarantulas I was in prison in Arizona and I guess it was mating season and I found one out in the yard I took it home and kept it in a peanut butter jar taming it and having a lot of fun with it I was really amazing to see how much personality that they actually have so yes I could say you could say that it was a therapy spider

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It's kinda funny before I got my first tee I was deathly afraid of tarantulas I was in prison in Arizona and I guess it was mating season and I found one out in the yard I took it home and kept it in a peanut butter jar taming it and having a lot of fun with it I was really amazing to see how much personality that they actually have so yes I could say you could say that it was a therapy spider
'taming it'...!?
I really hope you have since done some research and found out you can't tame Theraphosidae right?
I'll post some threads with info in a minute.
Very...strange, they let you keep a Theraphosid in prison. And a peanut butter jar, for that matter.

Edit: here you go:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/beginner-info-read-before-posting.153508/

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/basic-tarantula-anatomy.5095/

Michaelaz

Arachnopeon
'taming it'...!?
I really hope you have since done some research and found out you can't tame Theraphosidae right?
I'll post some threads with info in a minute.
Very...strange, they let you keep a Theraphosid in prison. And a peanut butter jar, for that matter.

Edit: here you go:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/beginner-info-read-before-posting.153508/

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/basic-tarantula-anatomy.5095/
Well I have learned some from that time and learning more as I go at night I would keep him in and feed him in there but during the day I would let him crawl on me or run around in my cell but the gaurds did not like it but thought it was cool.

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic