Help!!!

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Please, please, please read the rose hair sticky thread that others have referenced. You will find it to be extremely helpful.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I have a 10 gallon, I have a 20 on order I have a water bowl and a cut out log thing

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

what about lights though and what should the temp and humidity be?
you don't need an enclosure nearly that big! I have my 5" female in a 3 gallon rubbermaid container.

Be SURE TO READ the care links that are posted and remember that rosies like dry substrate and are very forgiving with humidity and temp changes.

Hope to see you on more often.:cool:

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Enclosure- 2x as wide & 3x as long as the T, or larger. Substrate of coco coir, vermiculite, or unfertilized potting soil. A hide. Water dish.

Temp- Room temperature

Humidity- Low. Dry substrate with a water bowl

Food- 2 large crickets 1x a week

If it flips on its back its molting, so dont mess with it or feed it for one week after the molt.
Change the water every 2-3 days and clean up poop and leftover food items.
Keep it out of direct light, and keep handling to a minimum. Don't house more than one T per tank.

There, now you know how to take care of an adult rose hair. Sorry you had to read through countless post about reading the stickies before someone finally answered you. Oh yeah, and read the stickies :)

Lolita

Arachnoknight
Enclosure- 2x as wide & 3x as long as the T, or larger. Substrate of coco coir, vermiculite, or unfertilized potting soil. A hide. Water dish.

Temp- Room temperature

Humidity- Low. Dry substrate with a water bowl

Food- 2 large crickets 1x a week

If it flips on its back its molting, so dont mess with it or feed it for one week after the molt.
Change the water every 2-3 days and clean up poop and leftover food items.
Keep it out of direct light, and keep handling to a minimum. Don't house more than one T per tank.

There, now you know how to take care of an adult rose hair. Sorry you had to read through countless post about reading the stickies before someone finally answered you. Oh yeah, and read the stickies :)
actually all but the cricket question i answered earlier and i asked what their room temp was (some people keep their houses colder my brother keeps his house in the 40's so it's important to know) and their feeding question was asked when i wasn't online but -shrug- i guess my answers don't count since i also happened to link to the rosie care sheet in my response as well as answer questions

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
actually all but the cricket question i answered earlier and i asked what their room temp was (some people keep their houses colder my brother keeps his house in the 40's so it's important to know) and their feeding question was asked when i wasn't online but -shrug- i guess my answers don't count since i also happened to link to the rosie care sheet in my response as well as answer questions
meeeeeoooowwww!!!!!

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As everyone else is probably saying (I dont have time to look at all the comments) Do research before you buy a tarantula! People do this all the time :wall:

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not to rain on anyone's parade here, but wouldn't the more logical process be to read up on tarantula care before jumping head first into a purchase and then being stuck having "practically no idea" what you're doing?
In a dreamy world that might be the case, but in the real one most of us learn as we go. We all end up encountering new things and then learning about them. The OP did not do something crazy, dangerous and irresponsible - she rescued a spider. Now she's learning about it. I think she's on a better track than those who criticize her.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
In a dreamy world that might be the case, but in the real one most of us learn as we go. We all end up encountering new things and then learning about them. The OP did not do something crazy, dangerous and irresponsible - she rescued a spider. Now she's learning about it. I think she's on a better track than those who criticize her.
To be fair, in the OP's first post, she didn't say under which circumstance she obtained to the tarantula. It wasn't until a few posts later did she indicate that she rescued it from a friend who wanted it dead. Seeing as how it isn't that crazy of a notion to assume she bought it, because she didn't say either way, I believe it would be irresponsible (and potentially dangerous too) to buy a tarantula without doing any research and being stuck having "practically no idea" what you're doing. This is all a moot point now because we know how she rescued the spider, but I felt the need to defend myself and my post.

DiVinE

Arachnopeon
First off, thanks for all the help it really is starting to warm up to its current habbitat, and second off. Where did you guys get this idea that im a female????

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

and this may sound stupid but wtf does OP(orginal posters???)

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
First off, thanks for all the help it really is starting to warm up to its current habbitat, and second off. Where did you guys get this idea that im a female????
I was thinking the same thing about female. I was trying to decide what gender to put in my post, and I looked at the pic of you holding it, and thought those aren't female hands! I didn't make mine gender specific though because, what if they were female hands! I'd be sure to offend! And yes OP means orignal poster.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
(snippet) and second off. Where did you guys get this idea that im a female????

Sorry for the confusion. I saw another poster use the pronoun "she" and I guess the ball started rolling from there.

DiVinE

Arachnopeon
Yeah, congrats on the tarantula! You better learn to use the search function before the search police come!:rolleyes:
I was thinking the same thing about female. I was trying to decide what gender to put in my post, and I looked at the pic of you holding it, and thought those aren't female hands! I didn't make mine gender specific though because, what if they were female hands! I'd be sure to offend! And yes OP means orignal poster.
I was gonna say I even posted a picture...lol...thanks though

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Seeing as how it isn't that crazy of a notion to assume she bought it, because she didn't say either way, I believe it would be irresponsible (and potentially dangerous too) to buy a tarantula without doing any research and being stuck having "practically no idea" what you're doing. This is all a moot point now because ....
Actually, I'm not convinced it is a moot point. No offense intended to anyone, but acquiring a tarantula without havng done a bunch of research is NOT a great sin. I agree that it is a good idea to do the research first, but it is a very common thing for people to acquire first and research later. The first tarantula that I bought was an OBT. I'd never heard of them before, but it was for sale at a reptile show and looked great. The dealer gave me some basic info and warnings, and I did further research afterwards. No disasters occured, and in fact it got me more interested in tarantulas. The next batch of tarantulas were by complete surprise - I received a telephone call from someone I didn't know telling me he was supposed to deliver a bunch of tarantulas to me. To make it even more challenging, only one of the dozen was labeled. The rest took me some time and effort to identify, and then to do research on. Again, there were no disasters, and that's what really started my collection (which now occupies a large room dedicated to arachnids and other beasties). This type of thing happens much more often than some of us may realize, and I know a lot of hobbyists who have received tarantulas (and other animals) from people without having done research first, and it all generally works out.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
The next batch of tarantulas were by complete surprise - I received a telephone call from someone I didn't know telling me he was supposed to deliver a bunch of tarantulas to me.
i wish something like that would happen to me that'd be awesome

losct2381

Arachnosquire
reg ambient light is fine dont go crazy buying lamps. just make sure it always has water and is in a room the stays warm. they like it dry and on the warmer side. and bit of advice unless u know what it it is don't hold it t bites can be very painful not to mention side affects. but if u read around here u should be good. good luck. oh ps that tarantula only eats other bugs i have seen new t owners try to feed their t's everything from baby mice to carrots lol. just crickets and other bugs the softer the bug the better

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This type of thing happens much more often than some of us may realize, and I know a lot of hobbyists who have received tarantulas (and other animals) from people without having done research first, and it all generally works out.
I can concede that. Driving without wearing a seat belt doesn't always end in flying through your windshield either, but it's probably better to wear one. I advocate researching tarantulas (or any "exotic" animal) before acquiring one when possible. Not to say that lack of research will always end badly, though.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can concede that. Driving without wearing a seat belt doesn't always end in flying through your windshield either, but it's probably better to wear one.
A little severe on the comparisons here, aren't we? Unresearched tarantulas really aren't that life-threatening.

---------- Post added at 06:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 AM ----------

i wish something like that would happen to me that'd be awesome
Attend the next ATS conference (in July). On the last evening of the event there's a drawing for tarantulas and other donated animals and goods. LOTS of stuff gets donated, and people go home with all kinds of new pets. Last year I donated around 30 Holothele sp Tachira, and went home with some GBBs and Holothele inceis. (Plus a bunch of things I bought or traded for.)

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A little severe on the comparisons here, aren't we? Unresearched tarantulas really aren't that life-threatening.
Unresearched tarantulas are not that life-threatening, but I'm a fan of analogies. Can't help but throw one out every once in a while.