Help!!!!

rosehairman

Arachnopeon
Joined
Dec 20, 2010
Messages
1
i accidentally mistook my water bottle for the bleachmix bottle and now my rosehair is moving sluggish and isnt showing much reaction to stimulation..... as soon as i realized i used the wrong bottle i immediately sprayed him down again with water. i'v done this twice *the water spritz.

is there anything else i can do to save my spider?!?!?!?!
or will he die?

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

my name is mike im from pa and have a rose hair.

i mistook a bottle of bleach water for my rose hair's water bottle and spritzed him with it..... since then i'v spritzed him down with water twice but he isnt responding as well as usual to stimulation and im afraid he's going to die:(.

is there anything else i can do to save my pet?
will he die?

---------- Post added at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

maybe you can help me, my rose hair was accidentally spritzed with bleach water instead of water. i immediately spritzed him down with water *twice now. he isnt responding much to stimulation and im worried hes going to die..... please any advice would be appreciated. i'v had him from a hatch-ling to now- about a year and 3months.
 

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
5,450
Get it out of that enclosure and into a new one with clean substrate. Once you've done that you should never spritz it again. G. rosea are from a very arid area and need exceptionally little moisture to survive. Give it a little bottlecap for water and that's all. No spritzing, no moist substrate. They get most of their water from food and will occasionally drink from a water dish.

I have no idea if your T will survive the bleaching or not but you need to remove it immediately from the environment where there may be even trace amounts of that chlorine.
 
Last edited:

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 6, 2007
Messages
2,529
:wall::wall::wall::wall: hope it makes it. ^ what he said ^
 

jonnyquong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 20, 2008
Messages
139
A lesson for all? :? Clear labels? :? Hope it's not at the expense of your rosea. Best of luck with your spider.
 

ryancreek

Arachnopeon
Joined
Nov 27, 2010
Messages
19
This is why restaurants get wrote up during inspections when they keep the oven cleaner spray next to the pam. It's easy to make this kind of mistake.

Anyway, bleach, being alkaline (a base), is dangerous as it raises the Ph above the range needed to maintain homeostasis and support metabolism. Even slight variations in Ph are fatal in humans, and it probably is for T's as well.

In the ER, I can take a blood sample and have the lab tell the doc what the Ph is and use a buffer mechanism to bring it back to normal, but I don't know how you'd check that with hemolymph! Sorry.
 

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 2, 2006
Messages
1,426
Anyway, bleach, being alkaline (a base), is dangerous as it raises the Ph above the range needed to maintain homeostasis and support metabolism. Even slight variations in Ph are fatal in humans, and it probably is for T's as well.
It's not just the alkalinity - chlorine is a pretty effective poison in its own right. If chlorine bleach was misted into the cage and then left there (further misting with water doesn't remove it), that can add to the problems greatly.

Update - upon further thought - In this case alkalinity may not be an issue here because the cuticle of the exoskeleton is not permeable enough to allow a misting of an alkaline to penetrate into the body mass or tissues. But the misting of bleach would aerosolize a very toxic gas (chlorine) and at least partially saturate the surface of the substrate with the same.
 
Last edited:
Top