Help!!!

Gerbil1987

Arachnopeon
Hi Everyone,
I have had my G.Rosea for about 5 weeks now, se hasn't eaten since I got her but I read up on it and found that itis normal for them to fast. But this morning I woke up and found her laying in a very strange position. I investigated and found she is almost completely motionless. I can actually turn her on her back with barely any movement from her. Please help with any advice I don't know if she is going to last the day at this point.:confused:

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Describe the position for us and try to leave her alone for now - we don't want to give inaccurate information.

Gerbil1987

Arachnopeon
She was laying with her front two legs outstretched and her fangs exposed right against the glass, I blew on her lightly to check for motion but she does not react at all. I have moved her to the center of her enclosure and she is just sitting there dead still.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I suggest you dampen an area of your enclosure and make sure you provide a water bowl.
Check for any signs of an upcoming moult - dark patch on the rear of the abdomen, moulting web mat on the substrate. It could be a moult so leave her alone to get on with this and keep disturbance down to minimum.
Any pix of your set-up and the T might help please.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
OK - doesn't sound like an emergency anyway. Rosies are known for some VERY weird behavior, and often act like "pet rocks" as well. As long as she's not bleeding and didn't have all of her legs curled under her - it's not truly an emergency.

I concur with Poxicator. Make sure she has water available, and then don't disturb her - just watch. Blowing on her may make her think "predator" and she may or may not react. Hopefully, she'll return to her normal strange self soon.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Looks like she is due a molt. Give this a read while you wait for the big event.
http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

I decided to expand a bit.
She needs more substrate. If she should climb the glass and fall on some of that tank decor, the injury could be fatal. One and a half times the leg span of the spider from the substrate to the tank lid is a good rule of thumb for terrestrial species. And, from the pictures, it looks pretty wet. Let it dry out, completely, but keep that water dish full.

She looks like she has seen better days, but a molt will take care of that. ;)
She'll be so pretty!

Gerbil1987

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the info, I appreciate you guys helping me out a bit. I will keep an eye on her and let you know what happens. Thanks again.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with Audrey, needs to dry out a bit. You could put dry substrate on top to increase the height and rectify the moist substrate, they really don't like it moist. You could put a piece of cork bark on the substrate for her to get away from the moist substrate.

Remember, once it moults to leave it alone for a week or so to harden. You'll want to examine the moult, get a good clear picture of inside around the 4 white areas (the book lungs) and we'll be able to identify the sex for you.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just wanted to add that not all tarantulas molt every time on their backs. Sometimes they will molt right side up, which cause a lot of confusion since it's not so obivious as to what is going on :)

Gerbil1987

Arachnopeon
Happy

Hi Guys, she molted last night while I was sleeping. I will get some pics up as soon as I get home from work today. Thank you!!!

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hahh! I was going to say she was due for a molt too and voila' I seen the molting post at the bottom! Congrats Gerbil!

Gerbil1987

Arachnopeon
Great news

Hi Guys, I haven't had time to post pics of my G.rosea post molt yet but I noticed that my L.klugi's abdomen has gone pitch black so she's also in pre-molt now. As soon as she pops of that old skin I will post pics of both. {D

Last edited:

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Hi Guys, I haven't had time to post pics of my G.rosea post molt yet but I noticed that my L.klugi's abdomen has gone pitch black so she's also in pre-molt now. As soon as she pops of that old skin I will post pics of both. {D
Looks like a Merry Christmas for you then :) - - Two new spiders :)

Gerbil1987

Arachnopeon
Some advice again

Hi guys, I am re-worried about my G.rosea. She hasn't eaten since her she which is fair enough it's only been like 2weeks but she seems to be having trouble moving her left back leg is completely stiff and she is almost unresponsive to anything. I am not exactly sure what to do about her. Any advice would be appreciated.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
She is still recovering from the molt most likely. At that size it takes several weeks. Only start to worry if she goes into a curl, do you know what the death curl looks like??

Twilight77

Arachnopeon
Congrats!

I have an unidentified T that acted very similar to what you described!
And a pinktoe to follow right behind it! Happy new year to me and merry Christmas to you!!!

Gerbil1987

Arachnopeon
She is still recovering from the molt most likely. At that size it takes several weeks. Only start to worry if she goes into a curl, do you know what the death curl looks like??
I am not exactly sure what the death curl looks like but I will give her a little time and she how she goes. Thanks for the advice.