help

deadly rose

Arachnopeon
hello, i just got my first tarantula a rose hair. notice something different on it today. he or she is about a year old. my question and concern is that the old opisthosoma is coming off. there is a new one underneathe it with new bristles of course. the opisthosoma is a little larger too with a little balding is this a premolt and his or her first molt did not go well. And is there anything i can do to remove this old part ofthe opisthosoma with bristles or should i let it shed it naturally.

thanks

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think you need to take a picture and post it because I think I know what you are trying to describe but not 100% sure.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
first off, how big is your tarantula? I doubt it's only a year old. second, I think you can put a drop of water on the old exo that's stuck to it to loosen it and take it off. If you do this, be veeerry gentle, especially if its new exo hasn't hardened yet.

I hope this answers your question, it was kind of hard to make sense of your post.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pictures needed. And yes, if your rosie is indeed only 1 year old it will be pretty small. I guess like 1-2 inches legspan.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pictures needed. And yes, if your rosie is indeed only 1 year old it will be pretty small. I guess like 1-2 inches legspan.
Possibly even smaller, like .75" depending on the feeding and temps it had as it grew up.

Now back to the subject, sounds like you may be experiencing a molt, but we'll need pictures to be sure.

Is your tarantula laying on its back?

deadly rose

Arachnopeon
possible pre molt?

no it is not laying on its back but heres is a picture. If the pic is not clear enough i can try to get a better one.

thanks

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe its molting upright? How long has it been in that position?

Is that the abdomen piece you were talking about popping off? Maybe its stuck on there from its last molt? Was it there when you first got the T?

deadly rose

Arachnopeon
possible pre molt?

to think of i notice some of coming off when i got the T home. will this be trouble when it molts? the T has been in this postion for a while. it was pretty vigorous then it just slowed down not very active either. notice last night that it was using its front legs to rub underneath its self.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya it lookes like that just did not come off..... however if that piece did not come off I wonder if the carapace came off. Well you can cut away most of that flap just so its out of the way. Then all you can really do is wait for the next molt. I dont think it should be an issue but you never know. Just keep an eye out.