Help with trapdoor spider egg sac

Logan Ryatt

Arachnopeon
My Cyclocosmia Truncata has an egg sac, what should I do. Can trapdoor spiders make phantom egg sacs? If not, how long until I can get the babies?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
IMO, trapdoors are not ones to make phantom sacs. Im unsure about Cyclocosmia sp., but for my various Arbanitis sacs the slings usually appeared after 30-40 days. One however, took closer to 2 1/2 months.

I prefer to house trapdoor slings in a large communal tub for the first 18 months of their life, i wait until the slings are beginning to exit the mother's burrow and carefully remove the entire silk lined burrow. Slings are kept inside the burrow which i then place into their new setup, and i return the female back to her current one after fixing the setup.

This method has always worked well for me, but admittedly these species dont make lids so observation is very easy. This method means you can just shake a heap of pinhead crickets into the setup and feed them all at once

Logan Ryatt

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the help, I never thought of that. It made the sac around the beginning of July, so Ill be watching extra close the next few weeks and hopefully all goes well.