Help with this "freebie" I recieved?

Shayna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got my G. Pulchra today!
It also came with a freebie, the bottle says Holothele sp. "Norte de Santander" (a got this from Quebec so I'm thinking that last part is the common name in French?). Anyways, I can't find any decent care information so if someone can offer some, or a link to a care sheet it'd be great. (and also what the common english name is?)
Im really hoping this is a hardy/okay beginer species because I just got my first T last thursday.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
no, that isn't french. it's spanish or portuguese and means

Holothelse species that came from "Norte de Santander"

norte means north and santander is a placename. santander almost means something like "holy place" or something, maybe.

i am keeping mine in low vent vials and dropping water in every couple weeks. they don't seem to fatten up the way "normal" tarantulas do. been molting fine for me though.

they get this real weird coloration. it's subtle... but kinda freaky

Shayna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Petbugs didn't have anything.

Thanks cacoseraph, I guess it'll be fine then.

Shayna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No no, I have the G. Pulchra all fine and I DID read about it. I need help with this Holothele sp. because as mention, it was a 'freebie', I DIDN'T know I would get it.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/G-pulchra.html

dont you think you should have read about the T first before getting it?
x
i don't really read about t's before i get them anymore =P

edit:
also, the op's hometown reminds me of a joke

A couple from the northern US decided to take a scenic drive through parts of Canada. They head out and after a bit the woman falls asleep. the man keeps on driving and eventually needs to stop to get gas. while the man is inside paying the woman wakes up and doesn't know where she is. she asks a local, "excuse me, where am i?" and the man replied "Saskatoon, Saskatchewan" and the woman said, "oh dear! they don't speak english here!"

or something like that

Last edited:

Alicemolted

Arachnopeon
yes but if she wanted a beginer then its good to know what spiders are suitable for the job
x

Alicemolted

Arachnopeon
argh!

i thought she meant the pulchra! i thought the freebie was some magic potion as she said it was a bottle...

Shayna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Anyways, could someone tell me if the Holothele sp. is a burrower and does it need special temp/humidity (is it like the G.'s where a room temp I'm good in will be good for it too?). Should it have moist subtrate or is dry okay with a waterdish/misting a wall?

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Anyways, could someone tell me if the Holothele sp. is a burrower and does it need special temp/humidity (is it like the G.'s where a room temp I'm good in will be good for it too?). Should it have moist subtrate or is dry okay with a waterdish/misting a wall?
it seems to be doing fine in my average sling setup. doesn't seem to be a burrower obligate like Haplopelma or anything. my sub is moist half the time and verging on dry the other half. room temp should be fine unless you have a freaky room temp =P

if you are going to have it in something large-ish (which is what it sounds like) you need to pay more attn to humidty/hydration. since mine are kept in low ventilation vials they *can't* dry out very fast... but if you have a high ventilation setup then in theory they could dry out fairly quickly

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have a Holothele NDS sling from likely the same place you got yours from, I got it about a month ago at approx. 3/8", a day ago it molted to about 3/4". Have two highly entertaining H. incei slings as well. They all seem like heavy webbers and I hear they like it humid, mine are all in well-ventilated deli containers with pieces of coconut shell to hide under. Pretty elaborate webbing for such little guys, one has already built a pretty decent tunnel system. I mist lightly once, sometimes twice a week, they seem okay. Fearless around crickets too, very enthusiastic eaters.

This is my Norte de Santander sling, picture taken today, right after moulting:

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
HI Shayna, this is Amanda from Tarantula Canada:)

Since we bred this species and the freebie was from our latest eggsac (hatched about 6 weeks ago), I thought I should throw in my 2 cents...

Holothele sp. "Norte de Santander" is from Colombia. They like high humidity and are opportunistic in nature. They might burrow a little, but usually just adapt to any type of enclosure you give them. They do not usually web as much as Holothele incei, so you will see it fairly often. They are pretty easy to care for, but if you have any questions you can always email me or Martin.

BTW, here is a picture of the spiderling's mother...

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had some (from TC) for my b-day...so cute!

My wife wants to have a H incei community like Mart and Amanda have!!!