Help with T stirmi

Tkeeper081169

Arachnopeon
I just recently got a T stirmi, she just molted about 2 weeks ago. Took 3 supers today (trying to fatten her up a bit) my only concern is about the moisture. I keep the substrate moist, not soaking wet but I make sure the bottom levels are a nice dark rich color. No mold so I think my cross ventilation is pretty good. Is it okay to let the top dry out if the bottom layers are still moist? I dont want to keep adding water because I'm worried the bottom will become stagnant. Any feedback would be appreciated.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have no problems with my blondi by doing just that. The humidity permeates the air as it slowly evaporates. You obviously don't want a swamp at the bottom. The spider doesn't have to be touching wet dirt to get the benefit of elevated humidity.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Yup, sounds like you’re doing just fine! With my T. stirmi, I let the top layer of substrate dry out, then add water once the middle layer becomes dry.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I use a plant watering can to simulate rain in my stirmi's enclosure. It's perfect for soaking through the layers of substrate. I do this as needed but about once a week or so.

And I'll always take an opportunity to show off the queen, Big Scary. ;) 8AA950F5-C341-4098-879B-5A5127734FDE.jpeg 1BE128D4-4701-4A50-BE1B-868B957920DD.jpeg

Tkeeper081169

Arachnopeon
You would be correct it is a little wide, I want to make one with corkbark, gonna run to the pet store later and pick up some.