Help with T. blondi issue

zdillon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello
I have had my T. blondi for about four months and I know the dealer that I puchased her from, had her for at least two months. She is about 7in give or take a little. I am not sure if she is wild or captive bred. I have her in a glass tank that is 24in long x 12in wide x 12in tall and the top is screen that is 3/4 of the way covered to help keep in humidity but still alow air flow in. Inside the tank I have a large hide, some plants and about 5in of coconut fibers that is always moist to help with high humidity. She has always been a great feeder and very active at night. About the middle of Nov. she started not to eat as much and became less active as if she was going to molt. Since then every once and a while she would come out and cruz around her cage and go back into hiding. Last night she was out and acting very strange. She was very lathargic, to the point were I was able to just pick her up and she barely moved when i touched her. She was not in a death curl but the bottom portion of her back legs were tucked under her and she would move on them like that. I put her in an ICU and in a warmer dark spot for the night. This morning she was walking anround alot better but not as active as she was. She is still tucking her two back legs under her when she is resting. I have ten other spiders were she was and all of them are thriving. I did do some research on T. blondi before I purchased her and I thought I was doing every thing right. If some one has heard of this or has some info on whats going on, it would be greatly appreciated.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most likely you have a WC individual.

WC Theraphosa dont do fine in captivity most of the times.

Its like a lotery... you might find one that last a couple of years but most of the time they tend to die within months. They behave extremely nervous, climbing the walls all the time,walking around relentless. Large enclosures are a must SPECIALLY fore WC individuals.

They need ZERO disturbance, a large and dark burrow,high humidity, large water dish, high temps (80F-85F) and a good amount of food. Stay away from rodents, stick with roaches or large crickets.

Still sometimes they dont make the first molt but actually if they do, half the battle is done.

Keep her warm and moist, dont bother her and wait for the best!
Good luck with her and hopefully she will molt and thrive with you ;)

zdillon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you Fran, will do. She definitely paised her cage and attempted to climb the walls. I did feed her three hoppers months ago, but she suffered no injuries from it. Is there some thing els I shold be worried about?

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just try to get her to molt with no further issues.
After that, they usually get acclimated better to their surroundings, kind of like calling it home.

Staying away of vertebrated pray is a good advice for the future ;)

zdillon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok, thank you. I hope she pulls threw. The wife loves her and she is one of my favorite Ts.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Don't worry. My t Stirmi did the EXACT same thing you explaind. Down to the part about being able to pick her up. Then like a month or more later he made a beautiful perfect molt. Be careful after she molts though. It takes way more than a week to harden up for them. Mine molted around Christmas and it's fangs are still red.

zdillon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you Jaob. Did you put yours in an ICU, if so how long.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No I didn't put it in an icu. Just leave it alone and she will probably molt quicker. IMO they won't molt till ya quit bugging them. An icy is probably unnesesary but I would make the take more humid. If you have an automatic foger then just put that in there a bit when she flips over.

zdillon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok il keep an up date on what happens, thank you both for helping me out

zdillon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I woke up this morning and she was molting. The only issue that concerns me is that she is doing this in an up right postion. It seems to be working for her becuase she has finished most of the molt besides her abdomen. I hope all of the molt comes off her abdomen.

zdillon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She is finally done molting. I thought I might lose her but she pulled threw. She is very dark now almost coffee colored and about 8in or more but her legs are very thin. I think she might be a burgundy as well Jacob. That is so bizzar how similar our molts were.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She is finally done molting. I thought I might lose her but she pulled threw. She is very dark now almost coffee colored and about 8in or more but her legs are very thin. I think she might be a burgundy as well Jacob. That is so bizzar how similar our molts were.
no kidding I can't believe how similar. I love it right after they molt. Mine got these cool white long stripes with a ball on the top of the strip running down each of it's legs. Not stripes on the knees like a b smithi but the opposite way. Too bad she molted around x mas and now the white areas are turning brownish. Post some pics I'd love to see.

zdillon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No problem, I should beable to get some pictures up with some help from my wife. Mine has the same stripes runing down her legs as well.

zdillon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I checked in on her today and the molt was not as successful I thought. She is missing her back right leg, one of the legs that was partially tucked under her during the premolt. The rest of her legs seem tobe formed correct but as of now are not functioning properly. They seem some what crippled or cant quite handle her wieght yet. I know she is still very soft but from experience with my other Ts they all have been able to support their wieght after a molt even thou they were still soft as well. Could it be her weight coasing this issue with her legs?

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My cobalt blue had a molt like this before. Only it was bleeding out of the space between her abdomen and carapace. I have my cobalt blue in an icu so she won't burrow and I can keep an eye on her. Then again all my tarantulas are very weak after molts. I wouldn't worry yet. At least if she is weak you can leave it in the cage and just keep a close eye on her.

zdillon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey Jacob, thanks. She is not bleeding at all. I hope your Singapore blue recovers quickly. I was able snape some pictures with out stressing her out to much. Ill have them up as soon as I can get some help from the wife.