Help With Spider Identification Please

LadyShia77

Arachnobaron
Hello, again. I have a plastic tote that I keep my crickets in. I know this little guy/girl was not in there before putting my new crickets (with cardboard tray) inside. The crickets were shipped loose in the box and I just placed the box in my cricket tote and worked on getting them all out of the box and into the tote. Anyway, just a few minutes ago, I went to get a cricket out for my wolf spider and this little one was crawling around on my cardboard pieces inside the tote. My cricket order was shipped from a seller in California and after having to almost tear the box apart to get all of the crickets out, it is possible it could have squeezed in during processing at the post offices. It's a fairly small spider. I am not familiar with this spider (even though it could be a western NC spider) and my insect app keeps going from calling it a yellow sac spider to crab spiders to some other spider. I apologize for the pictures. My phone has not been wanting to cooperate. I hope they are clear enough to see. If not, I'll try to take better pics when the lighting is better in my home. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It looks too brown to be a sac spider imo

LadyShia77

Arachnobaron
It looks too brown to be a sac spider imo
Those are my thoughts too. It did look yellowish when I found it and the marking on the abdomen is similar, but I'm still having doubts.

Don't know if these newer pics help. My phone camera still stinks. lol

Attachments

LadyShia77

Arachnobaron
Thanatus vulgaris, frequently found in cricket shipments
Is it the same as a running crab spider? That was one of the results on my insect app lol. Also, it's safe to say that it did come with my crickets? Would it have likely come from CA or just picked up along the way at one of the post offices? I'm having a hard time finding where all they're found. There's no other way a spider would have gotten inside my bin and I had previously looked at my remaining crickets before my cricket shipment arrived. Sorry, for all of the questions. This is just the first time I've ever had a spider in with my crickets and I've had crickets for a while now. Also, I know the pictures are horrible, but do you think it's possible to tell whether male or female in case I keep it? I'm thinking female because the palps look small, but I'm not familiar with this species.

Last edited:

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is it the same as a running crab spider? That was one of the results on my insect app lol. Also, it's safe to say that it did come with my crickets? Would it have likely come from CA or just picked up along the way at one of the post offices? I'm having a hard time finding where all they're found. There's no other way a spider would have gotten inside my bin and I had previously looked at my remaining crickets before my cricket shipment arrived. Sorry, for all of the questions. This is just the first time I've ever had a spider in with my crickets and I've had crickets for a while now. Also, I know the pictures are horrible, but do you think it's possible to tell whether male or female in case I keep it? I'm thinking female because the palps look small, but I'm not familiar with this species.
I can’t tell from the pics what sex it is, and I don’t know where they originate from. It’s kind of like cobweb spiders in the house, they are common in many places but it’s hard to pinpoint where they originate. This species is just frequently found with shipments of crickets so they get spread around a lot. And it is in the family Philodromidae making it a species of running crab spider

LadyShia77

Arachnobaron
I can’t tell from the pics what sex it is, and I don’t know where they originate from. It’s kind of like cobweb spiders in the house, they are common in many places but it’s hard to pinpoint where they originate. This species is just frequently found with shipments of crickets so they get spread around a lot. And it is in the family Philodromidae making it a species of running crab spider
If I decide to keep him/her, any ideas on care and what to put in the enclosure? I can't find anything on habitat or care.

Last edited:

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If I decide to keep/him her, any ideas on care and what to put in the enclosure? I can't find anything on habitat or care.
Since they are common in cricket shipments, I would assume they are pretty adaptable. I’d keep them dry and offer water a few days, just a tiny mist. I’d give them room to wander since they move around a lot, but not too big it would get lost.

LadyShia77

Arachnobaron
Since they are common in cricket shipments, I would assume they are pretty adaptable. I’d keep them dry and offer water a few days, just a tiny mist. I’d give them room to wander since they move around a lot, but not too big it would get lost.
So far, it's in a regular critter cup (that's what I call them) with a vented lid and it seems to like hanging around the top and devouring every fruit fly in sight lol. If my phone decides to ever cooperate, I'll try to get a good enough pic to try and figure out whether male or female and whether adult, juvenile, etc. This is the only pic I can get of its underside for now. It absolutely refuses to leave the top.

Attachments

Last edited: