help with sling care?

demasoni521

Arachnopeon
I just received a sling today in the mail and it is acting very lethargic because of the cold. it has been sitting in the same spot for hours now. is there anything specific I should do besides keep it warm?

Any help is appreciated. thanks!

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How big is the spiderling? What do you have it housed in now? Where in your house is the enclosure/ what is the temp in the room the enclosure is in?

It should be fine at room temperature, but if it is very small it might need to be in a moist enclosure. You should make sure that it has water available, whether it be in the substrate or a dish. :)

demasoni521

Arachnopeon
It is only around 0.5". I have it a cube enclosure and I have temps around 75 degrees. My normal house temperature is around 70 degrees. I hope it did not get too cold in shipping container.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it has been sitting in the same spot for hours now
Welcome to tarantula ownership, this is pretty much what they do best :}

Seriously though, its probably just stressed and could be a little chilled, it should be ok. The more you try to do for it, the more stress you cause it. It'll probably be a day or two until it starts to burrow (if it decides to)

phily1579

Arachnopeon
Dude, it should be fine, if u can up the temp a lil to 75-78 degrees. Try to feed it n c if it eats. If it dnt eat take the cricket out right away! Spray the oppositte side of the tank for a lil water if its thirsty. Its really too small for a water dish. Usually any t under i say 3" too small for a dish. U spray the opposite side of enclosure. thats how it gets the water. Also keep in mind that a cricket is 75 percent water, so they r geting water thru the cricket. Also realize that its a T. They can stay in one spot for months on in. :clap:

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is only around 0.5". I have it a cube enclosure and I have temps around 75 degrees. My normal house temperature is around 70 degrees. I hope it did not get too cold in shipping container.
At that size it should be kept on damp substrate, but it is perfectly warm enough for it at the temp you have it now. Tarantulas are not overly active animals either, unless it is a M(ature)M(ale). However, yours may have been cold, but it should be warmed at this point. So my guess is it is probably just stressed from the experience of being shipped. It will probably be a few days before it settles in. :)

demasoni521

Arachnopeon
Thanks so much for the replies everyone. I think I'll leave it alone for a day or two. It is an A. brocklehursti, but only around half an inch. Right now I'm keeping it humid and warm. I probably won't buy t's during winter anymore; the avics I've gotten from shipments during the spring were lively right out of the box.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks so much for the replies everyone. I think I'll leave it alone for a day or two. It is an A. brocklehursti, but only around half an inch. Right now I'm keeping it humid and warm. I probably won't buy t's during winter anymore; the avics I've gotten from shipments during the spring were lively right out of the box.
Sounds good! :)

I won't have Ts shipped in the winter, because it adds one more variable that could harm the T. Spring or fall and all is fine and dandy, the summer is out because of the heat.

demasoni521

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I guess it just bothers or concerns me when a tarantula will just sit there motionless even if you prod them a little bit.