Help with setup/unpacking GBBs

JenniferKatherine

Arachnopeon
Hi, I'm still relatively new to tarantulas and need a little help. I just received three GBB slings through the post. Attached is a pic of the little tub they came in. I need to somehow open this and confirm there are three and that they are all alive and well. I don't want to squish them by unraveling the paper towel. What's the best way to go about getting them out so I can put them in their appropriate habitats? Do I have to separate them immediately? Thanks.

Attachments

DeanK

Arachnosquire
Shipping all 3 in 1 vial seems sketchy to me, but all you can do is remove each wrap with a tongs individually and gently unroll the paper towels in a large sterilite tub or their enclosure

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
I'd do what was suggested above by @DeanK. As long as they haven't cannibalized each other you shouldn't have too difficult of a time Rehousing.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I'd like to know who's bright idea it was to package three T's in the same container!?! I'd recommend not purchasing from them again for sure! As far as unpacking them goes, DeanK said it. Just take their individual paper rolls out one at a time and carefully, using your tongs and tweezers just unwrap them in their new enclosure. :) Assuming they didn't find their way out of their rolls and cannibalize each other in which case the seller should send you new ones, separately packaged in their own containers, free of charge and the seller pay the shipping this time around.

JenniferKatherine

Arachnopeon
What rolls and vials are you guys referring to? I posted a picture above of the tub. All three are in there, I would assume, since there is no other container in the box. It looks like a single crumpled paper towel that I assume the little guys are hiding in. Sorry, but this is my first time ordering and receiving tarantulas in the post, so I don't know what to expect.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What rolls and vials are you guys referring to? I posted a picture above of the tub. All three are in there, I would assume, since there is no other container in the box. It looks like a single crumpled paper towel that I assume the little guys are hiding in. Sorry, but this is my first time ordering and receiving tarantulas in the post, so I don't know what to expect.
Within that container there should be other containers holding them separately.

DeanK

Arachnosquire
I would assume that it is in fact 3 separate paper towels because if the Ts were sent in 1 paper towel that's asking for trouble. Whenever I order slings online they usually come wrapped in paper towels in their own individual pill vials. Seeing them shipped in 1 larger deli type container is strange to me.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Once you get your little ones out of the package and into their enclosures, go to www.youtube.com and look up Tarantula unpacking videos. If you watch enough of them, you will start to get a pretty good idea of what to expect when you are recieving shipments of T's. Maybe watch a few packing videos and packing tutorials too. :)

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Take their enclosures and the tub they were shipped in and go into your bathroom. Place everything in the tub, block the drain and the spout, have a catch cup at arms length. Carefully unwrap the paper towel, there may be platic vials inside, hopefully. If not, they should be individually wrapped in separate paper towels. If there ARE plastic vials, simply remove the cap and in the center SHOULD be a small visable plug. Slowly remove said plug and place the vial into the enclosure and shut the lid. They will emerge on their own in a short while. IF, they are wrapped only in paper towels, ugh!, again slowly unwrap the paper towel and have the catch cup close by. When you can see the sling, ever so gently, nudge with a artist paint brush, on the rear legs. They ARE very quick and skittish as slings so "be aware" of them bolting away.
Get them rehoused asap and good luck!
Photo of my GBB sling @1 1/4" dls in its home.

Attachments

JenniferKatherine

Arachnopeon
Thanks, everyone, for the advice so far. It turns out they were shipped in the little vials like you guys stated. Like I said, this is my first time ordering them online and having them shipped. Now I need some new advice.

One arrived mid-shed and was DOA. I took some pictures. It appears to have not had enough room to fully discard its exoskeleton, and its legs are mangled. I need advice on how to proceed on this. Should I expect the seller to compensate? Is it just something that happens and I shouldn't stress over it? I try to be professional and am wondering how to best proceed. I don't know if the seller would be at fault if the animal didn't shed until after it was shipped.

I'm attaching pics of the little vials and the DOA sling.

Attachments

DeanK

Arachnosquire
You would need to check the terms of shipping with the seller. I think all sellers offer a live arrival guarantee on overnight shipping but sometimes you have to message the seller about the DOA within 2 hours of receiving the package. The seller probably shouldn't have shipped a sling that was in premolt. Contact the seller and see if you can come to some agreement

JenniferKatherine

Arachnopeon
Thanks! I emailed him and he automatically sent a refund. Now, for my final question, how do I leave this seller positive feedback? Is there a board on here?

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Thanks! I emailed him and he automatically sent a refund. Now, for my final question, how do I leave this seller positive feedback? Is there a board on here?
I'm glad the seller was able and willing to correct this issue to your satisfaction! Mark of a good seller imo. As far as leaving feedback, if you click on the "reviews and reports" near the top of this page you should be able to find the review item your seller has assuming you bought your T's from the classifieds here. :)