Help with reptile genetics?

scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know Arachnoboards isn't exactly the best place for help on reptiles, but I asked about it on an actual reptile forum, and got no help.

So I'll get to it then...

My question is about the genetics of morphs, and specifically how to figure the outcome of babies on a punnet square.... However I already know the basics of that... Ab+Ab=AA,Ab,Ab,bb, etc...

But what about when one, or both of the parents has a double het? Like perhaps it's Abb?

To clarify, I'll use my Leopard Gecko as an example. My leo is a Murphy's Patternless, het for Tremper Albino. Both Murphy's Patternless and Tremper albino are recessive morphs, meaning to become a Murphy's patternless, he needs the gene from both his parents, so on a punnet square he would be represented as "mm", so where does the Tremper come in? Would it instead be represented as "mmt" with an extra column?

I assume it would look like this?

--------m-------m-------t--
-----------------------------
m--|--mm--|--mm--|--mt
m--|--mm--|--mm--|--mt
t --|---mt---|--mt---|--mt

If that's the case, the offspring, assuming you get one of each outcome, would be 4 Murphy's Patterless, and 5 Normal het for both MP and Tremper?

Thanks for the help! :D

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Always do these calculations in two steps.

So let's say you have a double het: AaBb

Then the allele combinations you can get from him/her are:

AB, Ab, aB and ab.

If both are double hets, you will get the same combo from the other parent as well.

After you have it split like this, you can easily cross.

AABB
AABb
aABB

etc etc