Help with possible id (sorry no pics)

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I realize that id'ing a scorp without a pic is impossible, but I was hoping that you guys and gals might be able to point me in the right direction. A local pet shop got in a small yellow/tan scorp that they're calling an african fat tail. I'll do my best with the description.

The entire body could fit on a nickel (they say it will get much bigger, but it hasn't molted yet). It's tan/yellow with faint stripes in almost the pattern of a C. vittatus, but again, very faint. A thin black line connects the median eyes and lateral eyes, making the outline of a triangle on the carapace. The chela are thin, and look very much like an A. australis, but the metasoma is not black at all. Instead it has three or four faint (but still easily noticable) stripes in the fashion of a V. spinigerus. It is also relativly thick for the size of the scorp, not more so than the average thicker-tailed buthid. I originally though it was an A. amoreuxi, but they always look glossy to me and this one looks more matte colored. I don't know. I'm thinking maybe some hottentotta sp? Maybe some of you could give me some names and I could check over at Jan's site?

Thanks,
Chris

Andrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
could be this

the scorpion you are seeing could be hottentota sp sorry i cant help any more:)

Andrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
oops

sorry dident read all your post try h triluneatus or go to the scorpion files they have tons of pics

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Description sounds similar to a Buthus occitanus, or scorps as such. But I don't know exactly how thick the tail is and can't really draw a picture in my head from the slight lacking of a very picturesque description. It may be a Fattail and it may be a thicktail, then again, it may be neither. Definitely check and see if you can find anything of close resemblance on the Scorpion Files.

adios,
edw. :( about time for work...

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What's the difference between a 'fat-tail' and a 'thick tail'? I thought the only difference was that fat tail refered to Androctonus sp. and thick tail is Parabuthus sp. Is there an formal difference as well?

Thanks,
Chris

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Actually, I came across a site the other day that had Babycurus listed as "Red Fattail". I know that's not it's true common name, but I have also seen on other sites, the Buthus scorpions being classified as fattails as well. I have been unable, personally, to locate any true defining terms of the common name given, but can tell you that obviously, the thicktail scorpion's cauda is much more granulated and in a very obvious way. As an educated guess, I believe it would be relative to the granulation and overall mass size of the cauda in retrospect to the scorpion's body. I could be quite wrong as well though.

adios,
edw. :D