Help with new desert hairy scorpion?!

DeeeeD

Arachnopeon
Hi, so i need some help im looking to buy a desert hairy scorpion and have never owned a desert species before. I have been having some trouble looking for some tanks/terrarium and what size to get. Would a 30x30x30 do or would i need to get a little bigger i would appreciate it if you could post a few links for me to check out. I have been looking at a few exo terra tanks but they are advertised for reptiles so im not sure if they would do.

And the next subject is the heating i currently own an asian forest scorpion and i have a heat pad mounted onto the side of the tank its been working well so far but i was wondering if lighting would maybe be better for a desert scorpion as they need to be a little hotter? I am open to all advice so please enlighten me! Thanks in advance.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Hi, so i need some help im looking to buy a desert hairy scorpion and have never owned a desert species before. I have been having some trouble looking for some tanks/terrarium and what size to get. Would a 30x30x30 do or would i need to get a little bigger i would appreciate it if you could post a few links for me to check out. I have been looking at a few exo terra tanks but they are advertised for reptiles so im not sure if they would do.

And the next subject is the heating i currently own an asian forest scorpion and i have a heat pad mounted onto the side of the tank its been working well so far but i was wondering if lighting would maybe be better for a desert scorpion as they need to be a little hotter? I am open to all advice so please enlighten me! Thanks in advance.
Hello! Welcome to the forum.
Desert hairy scorpion, H. arizonensis, are a burrowing species and should be kept quite warm. Mine are in a room that stays in the 76-82°F range, so I don't need/use heat mats. Picture posted is a 3" in a 2.5 gallon aquarium, substrate is a mix of sand/ red clay. Look through the scorpion threads, many cover all you need to know and keep these.

As far as the Heterometrus species, mine are in the same room, but the substrate is kept moist. Topsoil is the substrate in use.

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
The temperatures in my room fall to the mid 60's at night in winter (not by my choice). While I would not necessarily recommend this I can say that there have been no health issues with mine over the years.

Granted I have adults though so molting is not a concern with them.

You need a sand/excavator clay mixture to permit it to burrow as they are obligate burrowers.

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Please watch my care video:
Few things I didn't mention in the video are in the description. It doesn't have to totally dry before you can put the scorp in. Please don't buy/collect juvenile Hadrurus because they don't molt well in captivity. Heat emitters and heat pads work well, lights tend to bother scorps but red lights bother them the least. Please feel free to ask any questions on this thread because my mailbox keeps getting full!

Stugy

Arachnolord
How large are adults normally? I recently bought a female DHS (I assume H.arizonensis) and at the time completely forgot about the molting problems. How deep should substrate be (recommended)? Will they eat feeders much smaller than it? I have a bunch of small mealworms and I'm having a bunch of trouble convincing my parents to let me buy dubias. (Crickets are stupid)

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Adults are usually 3.5"-4" from face to sting. They will probably eat small meal worms. Substrate should probably be 3" minimum. Hahaha, ya crickets are stupid! but often the easiest solution

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
While they can be up to 5 or 6" not all will attain that size.

Crickets are the best feeder IME. Their careless wandering is like a magnet to the Scorpions.