Help with my african millipedes.

africanmilli

Arachnopeon
First of all, sorry about the long post. I just like to include all info that might be needed. Alright, i've had them(African Giant Millipedes, Chocolate I think) for about 1 1/2 weeks now. Their my first set(1 male and 1 female). I've got a 20gal tank with about 4 inches of Zilla Fir and Sphagnum Peat Moss Mix in it. Along with a small water dish, small food bowl with Wardley Juvenile Iguana peleted food in it(looks like fruity pebbles), and a little house for them to crawl into at night. The first 3 or 4 days they were very very active at night and partly during the day. I caught them mating once and they started to dig a tunel. I had a crappy spray bottle but I somehow managed to fix it so it would spray better, so I started to keep the tank moist by spraying it once or twice a day. I had also gave them some cucumber and they loved it. About 2 days later I gave them some watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew melon. It seems since I've started to keep it more moist and since i've fed them the 3 melons they have not been very active, staying in their house even at night except for 3 or 4 times coming out to eat a little. Everyone says that they are active during the night so i'm just worried that something is wrong. Does anyone have any ideas? Also, I'm not sure if she has already laid her eggs but what else would you suggest to add to the substrate? I just need something to add to the top because I dont want to disturb any eggs that may have been laid. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hmmm. Giant African millipedes in captivity are usually well fed and therefore (generally) not that active. No worries, they are fine. It may be a little early to see any eggs deposited, which may or may not occur with your substrate.

For all you have spent to keep this pair, I would *strongly* recommend and urge you to get the book-"Giant Millipedes" by Orin McMonigle. It is pretty comprehensive and will tell you everything you ever needed to know to successfully and *correctly* rear AGB millis and others.

He is known on these boards as ElytraandAntenna. Email him or go to this website: http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/elytraandantenna/index.html#roaches

Cut and paste that into your browser and you will see all of his books.

Best,
Matt K

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I also keep my trio in a 20 gallon long aquarium. For substrate I use four to six inches of coconut coir, mixed with a few handfuls of shredded aspen bark. I top the substrate with several inches of shredded oak leaves and several logs of rotten wood. When I put fruit and vegetables in the tank I always push some down to the substrate in case babies should arise. I also keep a bowl of chicken mash in the cage as a food supplement, replacing it every couple of days because it molds. My pedes take spells where they're not active. Sometimes they stay in burrows for several weeks. I've recently started added a layer of decomposed wood between the substrate and leaves.

africanmilli

Arachnopeon
Ok, that makes me feel better. But what can I add to their substrate to help make it better for them? What about the coconut stuff? I know this is a dumb question but where do you get the rotting wood? Can you buy it at pet stores or is it done at home?

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I collect the rotten oak leaves and wood locally (make sure it's oak or another hardwood). I have also traded for some on the boards here, Chesire had some for sale. I freeze the wood prior to introducing it into the cage.

africanmilli

Arachnopeon
well what about adding that coconut stuff to the substrate? That's what most people seem to use. Also, does anyone use a ultrasonic mister? Is it even worth it to get one when you can just mist the tank with a spray bottle? Do the ultrasonic misters give you better control of the humidity level?

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't have my millis yet but I have heard of several people using the coco fiber stuff.... I plan on mixing it in with some rotted wood substrate that I bought from the dealer.... I have also read some accounts saying that they have had the best success with their millis on the coco stuff so it might be a good idea....