Help with Mexican Red Knee enclosure

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Hey guys I'm hoping someone can give me advice I'm new to this and got my first Tarantula a Mexican Red Knee Juvilnelle. I'm a little paranoid that his enclosure I set up for him could potentially harm him, if he climbs up the cork bark wall and falls on top of it, should I replace the log with a smaller hide? Or am I just worrying too much?

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
1. The wood needs to be something to get under, not to crawl on top of. I bury my wood almost completely, just leaving an entrance so its basically just a hole so there's no fall danger.
2. There's way too much vertical space. You will likely need to fill that enclosure 2/3-3/4 of the way with sub.

3. The ground should be free of clutter...that moss is just a place for feeders to hide.
4. The hygrometer is useless and pointless...they simply require dry sub and a water dish. On top of that, they are pretty tolerant of cooler temps, so you probably don't even need to monitor that either unless you live in a tent or a cave.:)

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Thanks for the reply...
I understand completely I'll rearrange his enclosure tonight and post pictures, I will also remove the moss which I did think was pointless and a place for feeders to hide, funny thing is this was recommended to me and was a starter kit. I will buy more sub does it matter if I mix them? And fill the enclosure half full of sub. Thank you.

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I will buy more sub does it matter if I mix them?
It's OK to mix the old substrate with the new substrate, since the old substrate is relatively fresh. (If you were rehousing after a long time, I would recommend all fresh substrate.)

And fill the enclosure half full of sub.
Yes as long as the space between the top of the substrate and the lid does not exceed 1.5 times the tarantula's diagonal legspan.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Okay that's great, I shall get more substrate I only got him last Friday so the old substrate is okay and yes is that so he can turn himself onto his back when molting?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
is that so he can turn himself onto his back when molting?
The rule of thumb about vertical space not exceeding 1.5 times the tarantula's legspan is a maximum, not a minimum. It's to limit the risk of injury from a fall.

Of course, you do want enough vertical space so that the tarantula can flip over and push the old exoskeleton up and off. Even a 1x height should be plenty of room for that.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Okay thanks for your help I will sort the enclosure once I get back from work

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Don't know if the guys that helped me earlier today will reply or not. I believe I have fixed the problem pictures attached, couldn't get him out the hide so done it around him carefully probably the wrong thing to do but he's fine and walked out his hide to see what was going on . The substrate I got today is still a little damp not soaking wet will this be okay for him? I just didn't want to wait any longer in case he did take a nasty fall. Hopefully I haven't just disregarded the advice you both gave me, the enclosure is more than half full with substrate removed moss and buried the log.

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I believe I have fixed the problem pictures attached, couldn't get him out the hide so done it around him carefully probably the wrong thing to do but he's fine and walked out his hide to see what was going on . The substrate I got today is still a little damp not soaking wet will this be okay for him? I just didn't want to wait any longer in case he did take a nasty fall.
That looks pretty good, but I can't really visualize the depth of the substrate from that angle. How much vertical space is there, and how big is the tarantula?

The substrate being slightly damp is not a problem, as it should dry out soon as long as you have good ventilation.

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
looks almost Identical to my T's enclosure and mine is perfectly happy. as long as the depth is OK then it should be fine. the substrate being damp wont be a big problem it will dry out after a few days, it may climb the walls a little till it dries but that's normal after a rehouse anyway. good luck with the T, I got a juvi B. Hamorii to start with as well and they are great.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
That looks pretty good, but I can't really visualize the depth of the substrate from that angle. How much vertical space is there, and how big is the tarantula?

The substrate being slightly damp is not a problem, as it should dry out soon as long as you have good ventilation.
His leg span is roughly 5cm, Substrate to the top is 8cm might need to add a little bit more to the enclosure, but when I got in last night he blocked his entrance off and webbed it so I'm guessing he is pre molt, substrate dried fine.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
His leg span is roughly 5cm, Substrate to the top is 8cm might need to add a little bit more to the enclosure, but when I got in last night he blocked his entrance off and webbed it so I'm guessing he is pre molt, substrate dried fine.
The amended enclosure is good, the height is good so there's no need to add more substrate.

Sealing up the hide entrance is common for Tarantulas in premoult although it could just want to be left alone, either way just make sure to keep the water topped up and you're all good.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Sealing up the hide entrance is common for Tarantulas in premoult although it could just want to be left alone, either way just make sure to keep the water topped up and you're all good.
Gotcha, the water is changed every single morning.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Gotcha, the water is changed every single morning.
There's no need to change it every morning as long as the dish is clean and full. (I clean water dishes once a week to remove the slimy biofilm that accumulates.)

Obviously, if your tarantula fouls up her dish with poop or boluses, you will want to clean the dish right away.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Obviously, if your tarantula fouls up her dish with poop or boluses, you will want to clean the dish right away.
Thanks for the tips really appreciated I did do research before I bought him I promise, so many different and conflicting information. He's still inside his blocked hide hasn't come out since my last post. He has no water at the bottom as the dish is at the surface, should I just leave him as is? I'm sure if he needs water he'll break himself out the hide and look for it

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
He's still inside his blocked hide hasn't come out since my last post. He has no water at the bottom as the dish is at the surface, should I just leave him as is? I'm sure if he needs water he'll break himself out the hide and look for it
Leaving them alone is usually the best approach. In time, as you get to know your spider, it will become more obvious when intervention is needed.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for the tips really appreciated I did do research before I bought him I promise, so many different and conflicting information. He's still inside his blocked hide hasn't come out since my last post. He has no water at the bottom as the dish is at the surface, should I just leave him as is? I'm sure if he needs water he'll break himself out the hide and look for it
Now that you have found this site disregard any previous sources that you were using for tarantula care. This is your One Stop Shop and best resource.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Leaving them alone is usually the best approach. In time, as you get to know your spider, it will become more obvious when intervention is needed.
This will be my last noob question, he is still at the bottom of the log with his hide blocked off I am 70% sure he is premolt, the water source is at the top of his hide and I'm positive he hasn't been out since everything is undisturbed, just wondering how is getting water if he is at all he isn't shown any signs of dehydration and I can't put a water source down there without breaking into the hide or disturbing him is it still best to leave him or try and get a small bottle cap of water in there?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
just wondering how is getting water if he is at all he isn't shown any signs of dehydration and I can't put a water source down there without breaking into the hide or disturbing him is it still best to leave him or try and get a small bottle cap of water in there?
If you're worried that he might not find his dish, you could put a second dish at the bottom of the log closer to where he is (assuming he can get out there), but I wouldn't disturb him by breaking the seal.