Help with Lividium (cobalt blue)

mr_x_plosion

Arachnopeon
Hi all, Im new here. My names Nick, im 25 and got my first T when I was 13.

I currently have 2 spiders, a Mexican Red knee and a cobalt blue. I have previously also kept a curly hair and a goliath.

I have only had the cobalt since about the end of January this year, within the 1st day she took hide under the bark i put in the tank, she used to come out for the ocasional wander but now I havent seen her in at least 2 months. She seems to have dug an extensive burrow in the 6" deep substrate. Why doesnt she come out? I put food in but she doesnt even come out to find it, she webbed the entrance to her burrow up. She's still alive as when I move the bark I can here her moving, probably preparing to attack.

Is she getting ready to malt and best left alone? will she ever come out or just starve to death?

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks

Nick

mr_x_plosion

Arachnopeon
Should it take that long then?

In fact I have pics from when she was last out, 1st of March.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Haplopelma is an obligate burrower, providing it with a cork bark shelter is totally insufficient. They require deep (10" or so is preferable where possible) substrate to construct a burrow.

You should never regularly see it unless it is at the burrow entrance waiting for food to stumble past.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She has 6" substrate with the cork/bark over the top.
For an adult? Nowhere near enough!

Try something like this:

These are all obligate burrowers, the middle shelves are juveniles in smaller tanks.

Attachments

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Welcome to the world of pet holes. When I had a cobalt blue I never saw mine, because she stayed in the burrow she constructed.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sounds like a molt to me also, the hap I had disappeared a month after I got her and I didn't seen her again until I had to dig her up 6 months later when I sold her. There is a reason lividiums are called pet holes:)

I've had some large adults go into pre molt for 4-5 months before, as long as you provide water she will be fine.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You'll rarely see her once she's burrowed... once they've got a burrow setup they only come out if they're hungry or thirsty... You might catch her out and about in the late evenings but..don't be too worried. Food will just disappear without a trace :D

mr_x_plosion

Arachnopeon
:( I was hoping she would be out more.

My mexican red knee it great, she never hides and spends a lot of time looking for escape roots.

My gf wants a T too, what would you recommend? She wants a "fluffy" one, her words not mine. I was thinking a mexican red leg as they are pretty and docile maybe?

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Brachys always stay out in the open.. brachys and haplo's.. totally dif T, totally dif personality and lifestyle.

Does your GF wanna handle the spider? If not, i'd go for something like a Lasiodora parahybana or Lasiodora klugi... beautiful spiders, although a bit skitty (kick hairs rather than threat posture) I've only had a threat from my klugi once, and that was coz i was pokin her tryin 2 encourage her 2 move house, so my own fault really.. Bless her.
If so..maybe try something like a Grammostola rosea. Calm, docile (generally.. there are always exceptions to this, mine's an evil cow!) lol
Both species stay in the open a lot of the time. One advantage of the parahybana/klugi over the rosea is that the parahybana get a lot bigger, more colourful and eat a hell of a lot more. They're both easy to keep. Not needing much humidity (dry susbtrate, a hide and an open water bowl will do for each..much like a smithi)

Here's a picture of my Lasiodora klugi juvenile:

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
for the original poster, 6" might seem like a lot, but it's not quite enough. i recommend 10" and still keep that cork shelter in there. i know my H.Lividum sling has already burrowed to the bottom of her 3" enclosure and used the small leaf that i have in there, as cover. they web the hell outta their burrow the cork might aid in them in attatching the webbing.

Last edited:

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nice T. Must say, tho, she doesn't look too happy in the 2nd pic. {D

I've heard taht they come out during teh middle of teh night a lot. try checking sometime then. good luck, and if it's a moult, post pics when it's done!

Darwinsdad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Where a H. lividum(cobalt blue) is concerned the less you see it the better. Try wandering near the tank about 2 in the AM with a small light and you might get a surprise. They arn't called pet holes for nothing.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi all, Im new here. My names Nick, im 25 and got my first T when I was 13.

I currently have 2 spiders, a Mexican Red knee and a cobalt blue. I have previously also kept a curly hair and a goliath.

I have only had the cobalt since about the end of January this year, within the 1st day she took hide under the bark i put in the tank, she used to come out for the ocasional wander but now I havent seen her in at least 2 months. She seems to have dug an extensive burrow in the 6" deep substrate. Why doesnt she come out? I put food in but she doesnt even come out to find it, she webbed the entrance to her burrow up. She's still alive as when I move the bark I can here her moving, probably preparing to attack.

Is she getting ready to malt and best left alone? will she ever come out or just starve to death?

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks

Nick
Congrats on teh cobalt blue pet hole

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Welcome to the world of pet holes. When I had a cobalt blue I never saw mine, because she stayed in the burrow she constructed.
hahaha that's true... I have seen my h. lividum twice in almost one year & don't worry about feed it, only leave the prey one or two days, it will disappear...