Help with Lividium (cobalt blue)

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Enjoy it while you can see it, after that it's a close up the shop outlook once it's burrowed nicely..l0l. As for your GF, why don't you look into a B emilia (Mex red leg) or a B albopilosum (Honduran Curlyhair which I think would make the perfect "fluffy" T for her as it always have a bad hair day..{D

Nightshade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She's so pretty.;)

I agree with whoever said more substrate though. The more comfortable she is in there, the more burrowing she'll do. And when they've turned their substrate into a network of tunnels it looks really neat. My 1.5" sling has around 5" of substrate and in less than 3 months it built a turret and dug tunnels all the way around the bottom.

I keep my little Devil really moist, just like my T. blondi. I dump water in their enclosures at least twice a week. At first I thought the spider would drown, but more often than not I see it in the lower tunnels which are soaked instead of on the surface. When I bought him, I expected to see him rarely if ever, I was mostly looking forward to seeing him kill at light speed and build his lair. If he turns out to be a blue she I'll be happy, but if not, he still entertains me:)

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is a nice looking species, they're terrestrial and not too demanding.

mr_x_plosion

Arachnopeon
Just to update this, there has been movement, got home from work tonight and now there is an opening and fresh web. I used a light to have a quick look and I can see legs, chucked a cricket and and the silly thing went straight down the hole, havent seen it since and I seriously doubt she is keeping it as a pet lol.

Hope she comes out to say hello soon.

mr_x_plosion

Arachnopeon
Update 2, she is out, cant tell is she has maulted but she sure is skinny, with cricket on fangs.

I will attempt to remove lid to get a pic, most likely she will go mad at me.

neanyoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
when i first saw these coming into the hobby i said to my self "new favorite!"

then looking into and reading up on them.. i changed my mind.

LOL. id hate to have pet holes. thanks for the update though. he/she molt yet?

rikimaku666

Arachnopeon
H.Lividum Burrow???

Hey guys,

I got my H. lividum about a month ago.. its got nearly 10 inches of coir and a cork bark shelter.

Now the thing is it has'nt even started to burrow, I'm quite concerned that the stress of moving is doing it in!

It's webbed up the bark like no tomorro but no sign of any downward activity!

I still never see it, but the crickets I give are gone by the morning:D so it cant be all that bad yeah?

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Im not sure, no sign of a skin anywhere. She doesnt really look any bigger.
She's adult so even when she moults she wont increase in size anymore :) If she is suddenly skinnier than before then i would expect that she has moulted.. Congrats! She's gorgeous!

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey guys,

I got my H. lividum about a month ago.. its got nearly 10 inches of coir and a cork bark shelter.

Now the thing is it has'nt even started to burrow, I'm quite concerned that the stress of moving is doing it in!

I still never see it, but the crickets I give are gone by the morning:D so it cant be all that bad yeah?
My haplopelma minax has plenty of subby and a hide and she sits in the open all the time, although has recently used her hide more often, but hasnt even attempted to burrow.. dunno y..

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey guys,

You could help your H lividum making a small hole in some part of the substrate and it could use it and dig deeper. I did that with mine and it works :D

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For the people struggling to get Haplopelma to burrow, you are going about it the wrong way.

It's no good just filling a container nearly to the brim with substrate and expecting the spider to burrow because generally speaking it won't. They need prompting, so use something like a broom handle to bore a hole down one side of the tank through the substrate. The spider should adapt this to it's needs. It can be tricky to get the denisty of the substrate right - too loose and the burrow collapses when the spider tries to dig, too tight and it becomes difficult or impossible to dig in.

Tacoman

Arachnopeon
How do you go about making it the right density then?

I just got my cobalt today and I have a 80% peat moss to 20% soil mix and she wont even use the fake hide i have for her she seems content on staying out and about!

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
For the people struggling to get Haplopelma to burrow, you are going about it the wrong way.

It's no good just filling a container nearly to the brim with substrate and expecting the spider to burrow because generally speaking it won't. They need prompting, so use something like a broom handle to bore a hole down one side of the tank through the substrate. The spider should adapt this to it's needs. It can be tricky to get the denisty of the substrate right - too loose and the burrow collapses when the spider tries to dig, too tight and it becomes difficult or impossible to dig in.
agreed and disagreed. the reason the T webs up the sides of the burrow are to prevent collapse and make it easier to maneuver up the sides and whatnot.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
agreed and disagreed. the reason the T webs up the sides of the burrow are to prevent collapse and make it easier to maneuver up the sides and whatnot.
Yes, but if the substrate is so loosely packed (think sand or vermiculite) then tha spider finds it very difficult to form any sort of deep burrow because it will continually collapse. The substrate needs to be solid enough to retain some kind of form.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, but if the substrate is so loosely packed (think sand or vermiculite) then tha spider finds it very difficult to form any sort of deep burrow because it will continually collapse. The substrate needs to be solid enough to retain some kind of form.
i keep all of my T's on coconut fiber so that's where I'm coming from. i know, it's a bit more expensive, but it's a better choice in my opinion.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
That spider has not moulted, it has the same patches of missing setae on its legs that it had before. That spider looks quite dehydrated to me. It is very skinny compared to how it looked in the previous pictures, it has wrinkles on its abdomen, which is not a good thing. Feed it and make sure it has access to fresh water, it needs it!

PS, did you add more substrate? 6" is not enough for an adult H. lividum.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i keep all of my T's on coconut fiber so that's where I'm coming from. i know, it's a bit more expensive, but it's a better choice in my opinion.
I use it too, the consistency/texture is ideal for burrowers.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer

Tried it. Tried everything for my minax and she has no interest in burrowing at all! She dug out all 4 corners of her viv, then put it bk and hasn't tried again since. Now she just hides in her flower pot hide..

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That spider has not moulted, it has the same patches of missing setae on its legs that it had before. That spider looks quite dehydrated to me. It is very skinny compared to how it looked in the previous pictures, it has wrinkles on its abdomen, which is not a good thing. Feed it and make sure it has access to fresh water, it needs it!

PS, did you add more substrate? 6" is not enough for an adult H. lividum.

Could it not just be the light that makes it look wrinkled a bit? And maybe the lighting makes it look like the setae on the legs is missing?
You could have a point though.

Does she have an open water bowl? Access to water at all times? Is she still eating? How often do you feed her?