help with identification for st lucian species

animaljosh

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

sorry to bother you with yet another cry for help on identification.....but I'm stuck here in a country with very little information on its inhabitants and I'm having a hell of a time sorting out info, especially with ever changing taxonomy! First of all can anyone tell me the identified species found on the island of St Lucia, Windward Islands, West Indies? All of the printed info I've found (VERY little) indicates two confirmed and one possible new unnamed. Please include current latin, as the minimal info I have is older than god and likely incorrect anyway. I promise I have searched for this info, but I'm an apiculturist, not a scorpion guy. I have two specimens that appear to be the same species, perhaps different sex or age. By the way, they have both been found in my house in the past two days! (Jealous???? Don't be, one was on the bed!) The locals have no idea about them. (that is not a surprise at all.) I can send pics if necessary. Thanks for any and all info!!!!! Hope to here from you soon

Arachno Kid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
checked the scorpionfauna? they help alot. dont know the url anymore though :p

scorpionguy

Arachnopeon
pictures are absolutely crucial to identifying any scorpion spp. Try to post some decent quality pics, and im sure somebody can give you a very educated guess.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ythier's site is extremely helpful. Everyone should have it bookmarked. It's linked to on every page of my brand new site :clap:

Ameiva

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Welcome animaljosh,
Yes, post some pics I am curious to see the scorpions of the nearby islands.:D

animaljosh

Arachnopeon
thanks a million to all..... more soon!!!

Hello to everyone,

Thank you all sooooooooooo much. I did not expect near this amount of willingness to help. You guys are just as cool as us beekeepers!!!! Maybe it has something to do with stingers and venom???? At any rate, I think I will have enough info to do a positive ID, but I will be attempting to take a few pics to post here in the very near future to get confirmation. For those interested, both specimens are in my care and seem happy and healthy. I have husbandry experience with many creatures, and don't plan any ill will towards them, though the little #$%^&* in my bed is lucky! The current plan is to return them to where they came from, though OUTSIDE the house, but who knows, maybe they will just become part of the family. I hope to have a little time in the next day or two to get a positive ID and take pictures. I did find Scorpion Fauna page, but my dismally slow and unreliable dialup connection makes it virtually impossible to browse the web. Welcome to the tropics!!!!! Yep, it really is paradise!!!! Thank you all for the incredible work and the immense amount of help. Maybe the crawling stinging critters are almost as cool as the flying ones???????.......maybe.....!!!!! :} you'll hear from me soon......