Help with heating with new AFS!

creatureX87

Arachnopeon
Hello, I just got my first AFS a couple of days go and I have a couple questions.

Humidity:
I don't have anything for the humidity as I've read that most humidity gauges are unreliable. I've misted the enclosure a couple times a day for about 2 days to get the humidity upSo, how do I know if there is the right humidity by look and feel?

Heating:
If I were to get a ceramic heat emitter, what wattage would I need for a 10 gallon? I'm trying to get it in the low to mid 80s on the warm side. I have a heat pad on the side but it seems to not go above 75-77F on that side, even with 3/4s of the lid covered with foil and a folded towel on top the screen. Also, what is an ideal temp for the cool side and will a ceramic heat emitter dry it out too much?

GordoOldman

Arachnoknight
If using a heat emitter, also invest in a thermostat. Place the probe inside the enclosure on the hot end.

There are several good humidity gauges out there that work well, I utilize types with probes. Most are senstive to flourescent light interference and bright light interference (not a worry with scorps!) So be mindful of placement of probe.

There are nano types of heat emitters available now ... So the ability to utilize low wattage small emitters is nice.

creatureX87

Arachnopeon
If using a heat emitter, also invest in a thermostat. Place the probe inside the enclosure on the hot end.

There are several good humidity gauges out there that work well, I utilize types with probes. Most are senstive to flourescent light interference and bright light interference (not a worry with scorps!) So be mindful of placement of probe.

There are nano types of heat emitters available now ... So the ability to utilize low wattage small emitters is nice.
Thanks. I forgot to add that I do have a temperature probe on the warm side a couple inches above the ground. I'm using a heat mat on the glass on that side.
I was wanting to get some type of lightning like an infrared but I heard that uv is bad for them.

Also, what humidity probe would you reccomend?

Last edited:

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Thanks. I forgot to add that I do have a temperature probe on the warm side a couple inches above the ground. I'm using a heat mat on the glass on that side.
I was wanting to get some type of lightning like an infrared but I heard that uv is bad for them.

Also, what humidity probe would you reccomend?
Infrared is not the same as UV - they’re on opposite ends of the light wavelength scale. as long as you keep your substrate moist your critters should be fine. Misting the top isn’t super useful, since they burrow for moisture - it’s better to pour a little water in periodically to keep the substrate damp. I usually just overflow the water dish a little every few days. Temperature-wise they’re fine with warm room temperature, but will be more active if it’s a bit warmer.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
I've read that most humidity gauges are unreliable.
Humidity gauges or hygrometers are very reliable, most of them have a accuracy of within 5%.
Hygrometers are widely used in industry, agriculture, breeding, growing and many more professions.
You need to realize they show 'relative humidity' and that one takes some extra understanding/learning.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_humidity
There are some users out there that will tell you that the "hygrometer gauges are garbage" and that you will be "chasing numbers the whole day".
Those people are wrong, they don't understand the concept of relative humidity, and then blame the measurement device for it.
They seem to think the hygrometer indicates the humidity of their entire enclosure without any delay.
Hygrometers are great measurement devices just like thermometers, voltage meters, current meters, light spectrum meters etc etc.
But there is a catch, let's say your car has a electrical fault, the left brake light doesn't work.
If you give a volt meter to a monkey and tell him to go fix the car..... what do you think will happen ?
Would you also blame the volt meter ??