1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Help with giant house spider

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by Tets, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Tets

Tets Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hi everyone!

Just registered to post (maybe stupid) question: I moved to a small town and I have a "giant house spider" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_house_spider ) at home ( http://misc.tets.cz/DSCF6077_e01_Pepa.jpg ).
    When I wake up in the night, he wanders around my room and bed. I call him Pepa :)
    Judging from it's behavior, it's a male. What to do with the poor guy? There's no other spiders like him around (and no female), I use stove for heat, so low humidity - tried to give him some water, not sure he used it... Should I catch him and release him in the cellar? Leave him alone?
    Searching the internet, everyone was like "is it save to vacuum it?" :-(

Thanks for suggestions!

Tets

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  2. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

Congratulations on your new roommate! It's always good to hear of people "adopting" their free-range house spiders, rather than trying to give them the boot - literally or figuratively!

They're called "house spiders" for a reason - they tend to do pretty well indoors when left to their own devices. As long as your house isn't full of hazards like hungry cats, or sticky traps, or regular visits from the pest control guy, he'll probably be fine if left to roam. (And don't be so sure that there aren't any lady spiders lurking about! The males are more visible as they tend to roam, while the females are more likely to stake out a dark corner or crevice somewhere to make their web, then stick close to home. It's quite common to see the males prowling around, while females are seen less frequently - but we still keep getting more spiders, so clearly the males are finding them, even if we aren't!) ;)

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Tets

Tets Arachnopeon

Oh, OK, so he'll be fine. Glad to know, thank you!
    He's shy, big, cute and clumsy (I found him sitting on the water in the toilet bowl one morning, not being able to do anything), I like him :)
    Thanks again!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Feral

Feral Arachnobaron Active Member

This is such a sweet story, it just warms my heart. :joyful: Thank you for being kind, and a gud frend to smol spooder. You're awesome!

5. Tets

Tets Arachnopeon

Thank you, but I'm now awesome, I just don't like to kill without a reason. Also, I'm lucky, we have no venomous, poisonous or really dangerous animals in Czech republic. Our spiders are (mostly) harmless and incredibly useful, look at this small one and all the dead bugs: http://misc.tets.cz/spider_dead_bugs.jpg :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. I thought giant house spiders where lightening fast? But seriously sweet story. I don't think I could do it (I'd relocate to garage). I'll bet you won't have much in the way of bugs in the summer!

7. Tets

Tets Arachnopeon

He is very fast when he wants to be :-D
    Usually, he moves in short bursts. He sits in one place for few minutes, then dash to a new place. Or, he just crawls around (or on) the walls. If surprised, sometimes I catch him in the middle of the room, in that case he often freezes and thinks he's invisible when not moving, hahahahaha. But just a turn of the head and he's suddenly gone.
    And "he's gone" (I don't see him anywhere) for a week or two, then back for a day or a weekend. I did not saw him since my first post here...
    Funny creature :)

As I said, he's not dangerous (to humans), so it's safe to keep him close, no need to relocate to garage (there are probably more spiders! :-D ). There's lots of others spiders in my home, of course, but none dangerous.

Yeah, bugs, flies, ... Spiders are big help! Sadly, in my new, nice, cheap, countryside flat, there's lot of smelly, small beetles (see the photo in my previous post) and the spiders are eating them like crazy. To be honest, I just got a steam cleaner, so I'll try to kill most of the bugs with it, not relying on spiders alone... Of course, I'll do my best to not harm (many) spiders :)

Sorry for late reply and my simple vocabulary and grammar mistakes, I had no English, but mandatory Russian in school :-D

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020 at 11:27 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  8. LMAO!! And also awwww. I don't truly dislike them or anything I just have had my personal space invaded before. I had some shorts hanging up in a sunny area (warm) and found an egg sack that was almost ready to hatch ON my shorts. Like I could have been wearing them and suddenly covered in baby spiders. I ended up hatching it in a jar because I was really curious who laid it and I believe they were giant house spiders. I'm surprised it chose a well lit area instead of a dark corner but maybe the warmth was super attractive.

Your English is great!! I wouldn't have even known.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. The Snark

The Snark Dumpster Fire of the Gods Old Timer

This is a survival tool that has been written into some spiders genes. The common spider predators brain and photo-receptors respond to motion which sends an electrochemical message to the higher order part of the brain, engaging in predatory activity. It operates exactly like motion detectors in perimeter protection alarm systems. Stand still and the detector looses sight of you. This is the same as flash memory in a computer. Primitive predators do not have these memory cells. And thus in turn, the spider has learned this, and evolved the modus operandi as you described.
    The became apparent and very obvious to me when observing the sparassids hunting on the walls occupied by numerous geckos. The spiders are in all intents and purposes invisible to the predators.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020 at 8:29 PM
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Tets

Tets Arachnopeon

Spidercandydesigns: Covered in baby spiders? I would probably jump into the nearest fire. They are cute, but fast and so many. I like animals, but I'm not touching any spiders...

The Snark: Thank you, I thought that the spiders sees movement, and that's why he "thinks" he's invisible too when not moving. I did not realize that it's true for his predators (lizards, snakes, maybe birds?) too. We have no geckos (sadly) here and no reptiles in our homes.

11. Feral

Feral Arachnobaron Active Member

It's been written into my genes, too, evidently.
    I, too, am... *jazz hands* INVISIBLE.
    *burrows under blankets and refuses to move for three days*

I loved reading your story! And I also befriend my house spiders. Right now I have a tan jumping spider that nests behind the wallhanging above my bed. She's unbearably cute and also friendly and curious... When I see her out on the prowl, I put out my finger and most times she jumps right on board and checks me out while I have a good look at her. (My heart melts every time! lol) Then she eventually jumps off back onto the wall and goes on her merry way to catch whatever bugs have wandered in the house to escape the cold. I get those stink bugs, too, like you do, and secretly rejoice when I see a spider get one. lol

Thanks for sharing, and I hope there's more to read!

12. The Snark

The Snark Dumpster Fire of the Gods Old Timer

I stumbled on a study quite by accident. The great cats take memory 'pictures' of potential prey and are able to stalk them while they aren't in sight. There is an entire section of the advanced predator brain that has this memory capability which is missing in the more primitive predators.
    Now to mess with your mind, how and how long did it take for prey like spiders to discover and develop their 'invisibility fields'?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.