Help with enclosure?

MILKYTOAST

Arachnopeon
I've seen this terrarium recommended for Ts by collectors such as The Tarantula Collective and I know that the screen on top is a problem and that I have to replace it with acrylic but my problem is that I'm not sure how big the ventilation holes have to be and I'm scared that I will make them too big for my G. Pulchra for when it is big enough for this enclosure. I've already ordered it so I know that I can't get another one at the moment but if anybody has experience with this specific enclosure or has any ideas please let me know and thank you very much. I just want to make sure I have a good home for my T and that they won't have a good chance of escaping. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OAVN0W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
just buy a sterilite storage container they are easy to add vent holes into and no worry about escapes if you buy the ones with latches

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I might be able to cancel the order, thank you!
How big is the T? Your rule of thumb for a terrestrial or fossorial T is that the substrate should be no more that 1.5X the diagonal legspan of the T. Prevents T from having a fatal fall. Problem with exoterras is that they limit amount of sub you can put in. I only use them with my arboreal T’s.

MILKYTOAST

Arachnopeon
How big is the T? Your rule of thumb for a terrestrial or fossorial T is that the substrate should be no more that 1.5X the diagonal legspan of the T. Prevents T from having a fatal fall. Problem with exoterras is that they limit amount of sub you can put in. I only use them with my arboreal T’s.
The T is only about an 1 1/2 right now but I just wanted something for when it's time so I don't have to worry about it down the line. Do you have any recommendations for a terrestrial enclosure?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
The T is only about an 1 1/2 right now but I just wanted something for when it's time so I don't have to worry about it down the line. Do you have any recommendations for a terrestrial enclosure?
Yeah. That enclosure will be too big in my opinion. I don’t think that have any for terrestrial T’s. I get acrylic shoe boxes off Amazon in various sizes and customize them with locks. Pretty cheap too. This one was like $13 E3B05B05-9A15-49F9-88ED-E59A3AEA116D.jpeg drilled holes in it. Threw On mini padlock. Looks slick in my opinion.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Yeah. That enclosure will be too big in my opinion. I don’t think that have any for terrestrial T’s. I get acrylic shoe boxes off Amazon in various sizes and customize them with locks. Pretty cheap too. This one was like $13 View attachment 366162 drilled holes in it. Threw On mini padlock. Looks slick in my opinion.
That’s some precision holes ya got there. Very nice job. Did you use acrylic hasps for the lock?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
That’s some precision holes ya got there. Very nice job. Did you use acrylic hasps for the lock?
I did. You can literally buy all of the accessories you need on Amazon. You can get acrylic clasp kits. Hardest part is notching lip of lid to fit the clasp. Takes like 1min. I just eyeball the holes and drill. In reality you could line it with tape to give a straightedge to follow then measure out distance of holes if you’re that critical.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
My favorite enclosures are the acrylic ones! I also use plastic deli cups for slings. I get my acrylics from Jamie’s tarantulas, or chain pet stores will occasionally sell the large ones. I get deli cups in bulk from Josh’s frogs, and I use a thumbtack to poke ventilation holes. The problem with the mesh lids is terrestrials (mostly, but it can harm any of them) getting their “paws” stuck and losing a leg, or suffering a fall accompanied by a ruptured abdomen. Stacking your substrate really high will more than likely encourage it to climb on the lid more than anything. If you can’t get an acrylic piece for the lid, get a new enclosure. As uncommon as the cases of injuries are with the wire mesh, it’s not worth risking it IMO. And the acrylic ones are much less pricey than the exo terras. 89AB335E-2E3F-4206-9E1B-03191B658FA8.jpeg 02A567FF-3396-405E-8545-8EED89D97AF5.jpeg B645C942-9457-463D-9B5A-5E56BC0B9543.jpeg Here are some photos of my enclosures-from sling to adult.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Why is that funny? My substrate is stacked high, yeah, which isn’t a problem considering they’re in acrylic enclosures? I’m very confused.
I think he means your collection goes all the way to your lid. So he's impressed with how high your Ts go
that last photo shows tubs and ceiling

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I think he means your collection goes all the way to your lid. So he's impressed with how high your Ts go
that last photo shows tubs and ceiling
Oh yeah I was confused, I thought he was referring to the substrate, since he laughed at it. Yeah they are floor to ceiling. I keep scorps and other inverts too but I’m at around 20 Ts now.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
Why is that funny? My substrate is stacked high, yeah, which isn’t a problem considering they’re in acrylic enclosures? I’m very confused.
i meant in the pick with the deli cups on the rack they look lie they are stacked to the ceiling

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
i meant in the pick with the deli cups on the rack they look lie they are stacked to the ceiling
Yeah the shelf is a floor to ceiling industrial shelf. It is completely full, and I have some big tub enclosures for fossorials in other places too 😅

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
here's my daughter's terrestrial rack. Not bad for a 17 year old
And the bottles at top are just water storage for their dishes.
T_Rack.jpg

Top to bottom, Left to right Top Shelf: T Verdezi, B Hamorii, N Chromatus, N Coloratovillosus, G Pulchra, G Pulchripes
Second Shelf B Auratum, B Boehmi, A Stendachneri, A Steindachneri, C Darlingi, all sitting on AF GBB
Third Shelf AF T Albopilosus, AF A Chalcodes, A Geniculata and A Chalcodes
Bottom Shelf AF A Steindachneri and Feeder Box

Last edited:

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
Top to bottom, Left to right Top Shelf: T Verdezi, B Hamorii, N Chromatus, N Coloratovillosus, G Pulchra, G Pulchripes
Second Shelf B Auratum, B Boehmi, A Stendachneri, A Steindachneri, C Darlingi, all sitting on AF GBB
Third Shelf AF T Albopilosus, AF A Chalcodes, A Geniculata and A Chalcodes
Bottom Shelf AF A Steindachneri and Feeder Box
Oh, so she gets the fancy custom lids and we don't, I see how it is!

;)