Help with emperor scorpion...

jkurve

Arachnopeon
Before I start, this is my first scorpion...first invertebrate of any kind. I have used this site's search function like crazy and searched everywhere else on the internet, but can find nothing definitive...i have no pics (yet) so please bear with me.

I got this scorpion about 3 months ago and love it. He has gotten fairly plump, but not fat, and I *THINK* it is getting ready to molt. He now has creases on his prosoma about where it would break (from pictures I've seen). He's normally pretty much black but depending on the like he can appear a very dark maroon. Thing is, now he has little red splotches on him,and they're spreading...now from what I've read, I think I've narrowed it down to two possibilities: 1) bacterial infection that eventually causes a hole in the exoskeleton (correct?). or 2) I've read that in order to molt the scorpion has to absorb some of the exoskeleton already in place...so could that be the reason for the light spots? Basically...I guess what I'm asking is this: is that (the lightening) abnormal for a scorpion about to molt or is it likely to be a problem?

Thanks in advance...and BTW, I've been reading this site ever since I got him and it has been my #1 resource...lots of good information here, the search function can be a little frustrating, tho... :D

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
try to post a pic of your scorp then you get an answer very soon!