help with Cyriopagopus Sp.

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey guys. im in need of help here. my Cyriopagopus Sp. Blue is:

1. not eating
2. has a small abdomen
3. definitely not premolt
4. seems to have a broken leg... third leg left side. *its limpy when climbing its not stuck to the wall .... it just kinda hangs there*
5. not really active.

what can i do to prevent death? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks a lot!

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A) What size is the spider?

B) Have you tried pre-killed crickets?

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A) What size is the spider?

B) Have you tried pre-killed crickets?
its around 2" in legspan and ive put pre killed crickets. but it doesnt seem to work... ive put the cricket this morning around 10am. now its 2pm and it still hasnt touched it. :? :wall:

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Another set of questions:

A) What do you have the spider housed in?

B) Temp? Substrate? Decorations? Humidity?

C) Just a guesseculation, but maybe the leg is the reason the spider is refusing food?

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Another set of questions:

A) What do you have the spider housed in?

B) Temp? Substrate? Decorations? Humidity?

C) Just a guesseculation, but maybe the leg is the reason the spider is refusing food?
1. i use a tupper ware around 7"x4.5" and the height is 2" but i topple it over to make it like an arboreal enclosure. ( sbarro take out container if you're familiar )

2. Temp would be 37 and the substrate peat soil. no decors whatsoever. humidity is fair enough or so i think

3. i dont know why it all of a sudden became limp. maybe the cricket bit it?! i put an adult male cricket by the way.

4. just another thing. ... i dont put a water dish.. i just mist it.

what do you make of it?

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have pieces of bark in my container which is abit deeper than your's. Also someone once mentioned Singapore Blues are photosensitive and i have observed this myself as I have removed the container from a dresser draw in which I keep the spider in (for additional warmth, humidity, and darkness) and the spider immediately spazzes and hides by literally burying it's "face" in the substrate near the base of the small piece of bark.

I use Rubbermaid "TakeAlongs" measuring 3.5"h x 6.5"d.

That cricket is definitely too large, try one half the spider's size if not less. I have a Singapore Blue measuring about an inch I have been giving it small pre-killed (sometimes live ones) half the spider's size with excellent success. In fact, mine is plump and fasting at the present moment. I suspect a molt is due. Furthermore, mine isn't the most aggressive cricket killer either. And, yes, the cricket might be the culprit of your spider's injured leg.

You didn't mean 37F of course? 37C right? Yes, that is fine temps.

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have pieces of bark in my container which is abit deeper than your's. Also someone once mentioned Singapore Blues are photosensitive and i have observed this myself as I have removed the container from a dresser draw in which I keep the spider in (for additional warmth, humidity, and darkness) and the spider immediately spazzes and hides.

I use Rubbermaid "TakeAlongs" measuring 3.5"h x 6.5"d.

That cricket is definitely too large, try one half the spider's size if not less. I have a Singapore Blue measuring about an inch I have been giving it small pre-killed (sometimes live ones) half the spider's size with excellent success. In fact, mine is plump and fasting at the present moment. I suspect a molt is due. Furthermore, mine isn't the most aggressive cricket killer either.

You didn't mean 37F of course? 37C right? Yes, that is fine temps.

i put my singapore blue in a drawer where its dark. i didnt close it enough though for ventilation. im thinking of putting a water dish too. ive put an adult pre killed cricket. i hope things work out for the best. thanks a lot Megalon.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You're welcome Golda. Best wishes!

Oh, yeah, I have a water bottle cap with mine. And I forgot to add mine has constructed a funnel shaped silk retreat extended out from behind the bark lean-to I have set up for it.

Being this species is arboreal, a piece of decor is necessary. For a retreat and web building.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Some may be arboreal as adults, but each and every single one of mine especially as slings and juvies burrowed! And burrowed deep. Get him in a deeper enclosure with room to burrow as well as room to climb. Two to one, he's stressed out and will likely disappear into a nice hole, resuming normal behavior very quickly once you change his surroundings.

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Some may be arboreal as adults, but each and every single one of mine especially as slings and juvies burrowed! And burrowed deep. Get him in a deeper enclosure with room to burrow as well as room to climb. Two to one, he's stressed out and will likely disappear into a nice hole, resuming normal behavior very quickly once you change his surroundings.
ok i will try that.. il change his enclosure. dont you think he'd be stressed if i transfer him in a different enclosure?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
37°c is not a good temperature, it's much too hot!

if that's what you meant, the heat could be the reason for your t's behaviour and for dehydration. even if it were 37 f ist would not be ok. this species does fine at room temperature. i keep mine between 21 and 23° c and never had a problem with it.

offering it a water dish is a good idea, mine drinks from the dish regularly but is hesitant to drink after misting. this is a shy species that doesn't like to come out after a disturbance.

tarantulas.com

Arachnopeon
burrow!

I've had great luck with them in tall insect cups. I use the kind w/ a screen lid for ventilation. I put ~3" vermiculite, then a couple inches of moss (decorator's or sphagnum). I have had luck keeping them very moist, and they all have pretty much set up shop between moss and vermiculite.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
ok i will try that.. il change his enclosure. dont you think he'd be stressed if i transfer him in a different enclosure?
From the way you describe him, he's stressed right now. In my opinion and, admittedly, limited experience, you risk losing him if you don't change him. Prestart a burrow for him and put a halved ceramic pot of something he can hide in directly over the spot. If he wants to burrow, he'll dig himself deeper very, very quickly (ie in a couple days) and then he should resume normal, healthy behavior.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have had luck keeping them very moist, and they all have pretty much set up shop between moss and vermiculite.
Likewise. I have my on EcoEarth coconut fibre about 1.5" in depth. It is always moist and my Singapore Blue is building web retreats and feeding normally. Has never burrowed.

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Turns out that my Singapore blue had just molted! but there is a downside. its a bad molt.. due to the leg i think its broken or its some kinda short or limpy. i guess its due to the burrow she built. it isnt really that spacious. :(

ironmonkey78

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
all my blue slings have burrowed. I have them in with straight peat and mist them twice aweek. some of them have extended a web home well out of the burrow but still reside primarily inthe burrow. hows your blue acting now? did it throw the leg?

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
will it throw the leg?! its still limping.. is there a tendency that she will throw the leg? thats too bad! shes about 2" now.

all my blue slings have burrowed. I have them in with straight peat and mist them twice aweek. some of them have extended a web home well out of the burrow but still reside primarily inthe burrow. hows your blue acting now? did it throw the leg?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
if the leg is too bad, she will most probably throw it sooner or later. at 2", that is not a problem however. it will regenerate within a very few molts, with a bit of luck you wont see this ever happened within 2-3 molts.

what about the temperature you mentioned? 37°c is way too much, room temps are fine.

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:D thank you all for the comments. alice by the way ive adjusted the temperature to 32 deg. celsius. ... still my sing blue hasnt thrown its leg yet but at least its eating. all's well. thanks guys. :worship:

if the leg is too bad, she will most probably throw it sooner or later. at 2", that is not a problem however. it will regenerate within a very few molts, with a bit of luck you wont see this ever happened within 2-3 molts.

what about the temperature you mentioned? 37°c is way too much, room temps are fine.