Help with a possible escapee

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm home now (back from college for a few weeks, then on to NYC). Unfortunately in the travel process I realized that I was short two baby C. gracilis, and have become worried.

The first I had lost right away. He/she was the first to climb down off of mom's back, and when I tried to scoop him out of the tank he bolted into the drift wood. The second was the last to come off of mom's back. He/she clung to her underside while I seperated all the others and I figured my prodding for him/her was stressing the mom out, so I put her back in the tank and taped the lid-holes shut.

Three days later I tried to retrieve them from the tank, but they are no where to be found.

Is it possible she ate them, or do you think they escaped? I checked the lid and realized that there was plenty of space for a baby to climb out. I searched my invert shelf, but found no one.

Hopefully they went out with the garbage, were swept up from the floor, or were washed with my clothes, but I worry. If they're still in the dorm the pesticides the school sprays should kill them, but if they're here at home with me they might have a better chance. Is it possible for a C. gracilis to reach maturity at a constant 70 degrees with 65% humidity? I'd hate for someone in the house to get stung buy an adult in a year. How do you think my odds are?

Thanks for the help,
Chris

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What is it supposed to eat, in order to grow up???

I'd say she ate them.

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are there any places for the scorpions to climb and reach the openings in the top? If not, I would say that they would still be in the enclosure. However, they may be back inside mom. She may have eaten them if she was hungry. Be sure to check you piece of driftwood very closely. I have lost C. vittatus babies in wood cracks and the space under bark. They’re masters at wedging their bodies into small spaces.

W. Smith

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"Are there any places for the scorpions to climb and reach the openings in the top?"

Actually, the tank is a critter-keeper on its side, so yes, there's not much climbing that needs to be done to get to the lid. I did tape it up fairly well, though not well enough, as I missed a bunch of slits.

"What is it supposed to eat, in order to grow up???"

I realize that there isn't as much food in my house as their is behind bark in Florida, but if all I did was search for bugs all week long, I'm sure I could turn up enough to sustain a scorpion the size of a pea.

At any rate, both of your thoughts support mine--hopefully we're right and their eaten, dead, drown, swept up, or still in the tank waiting to be caught.

Chris

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well if i were you i would buy a black light and leave it on every night and one day , if its still alive , it might be found glowing on the wall next to you. Otherwise, you might be bumming. but i wouldn`t worry about it. C. gracilis aren`t that bad , not exactly a deathstalker or anything, It would be kind of neat to hear that you found it , adult and all, a year from now.

Is there a scorp loose in my house , THAT is the real question!

HAHAHHEHEHHee

Mat=D ;P =D