Help with a molting question.

The Main Evil

Arachnopeon
My Brachypelma boehmei molted back in July, and I’ve been feeding her for a while now. About once a week. She’s about an inch and a half long when fully extended. She has a very big abdomen. It’s big side to side and very big up and down. I was thinking she is in premolt. What do you think?

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Usually with specimens that size, you'll notice them darken in coloration all over their body and abdomen, and that is a clear indicator that they're entering premolt, but we'd have to get a good look at your sling to be sure.

I tend to stop feeding mine before they get TOO fat, but in my experience, NW species will usually stop eating when they've taken in enough nutrients to enter premolt. I mean, not all the time, but ya know.

The Main Evil

Arachnopeon
Usually with specimens that size, you'll notice them darken in coloration all over their body and abdomen, and that is a clear indicator that they're entering premolt, but we'd have to get a good look at your sling to be sure.

I tend to stop feeding mine before they get TOO fat, but in my experience, NW species will usually stop eating when they've taken in enough nutrients to enter premolt. I mean, not all the time, but ya know.
I

I have a lot of pictures of her. Should I upload them ina new thread?

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
You can upload pictures in this thread just fine, and it honestly might be better for organization purposes. As Commander said it should be easily to tell when a molt is imminent, and at that size overfeeding is not a major concern.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
This is from earlier this evening.
Looks nice and healthy to me, but I wouldn't say a molt is absolutely imminent given there isn't any serious darkening that you might expect with a molt on the horizon. If she's started to reject prey, she's probably eaten plenty to be able to molt and just needs to take the time to finish production of a new exoskeleton.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My Brachypelma boehmei molted back in July, and I’ve been feeding her for a while now. About once a week. She’s about an inch and a half long when fully extended. She has a very big abdomen. It’s big side to side and very big up and down. I was thinking she is in premolt. What do you think?
I need a pic

consolidate everything into one thread whenever possible.
What kind of CRAZY common sense is that!

Last edited by a moderator:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Abdomen size is based on how much the T has eaten.

Abdomen colour of species who are pinkish as slings can indicate a molt coming up.