Help with a millipede.....i screwed up

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, so the bad news is one of my millis was found dead just a few minutes ago :( Its a D. macracanthus. Anyhow the tank originally contained only two millipedes, one which disappeared into the depths several months ago. Now that the only other one in there died, and I have had a few beers I say to myself...........that other one cant still be alive its been gone for like 3 + months.....its just dead.....lets just clean out the cage and move on.

So I begin to remove the dirt and the cage is pretty much empty like 95% and the VERY last small clump of dirt BOOM there is the sexy lady, shiny and new and huge and molted in a circular chamber..........

So now I feel pretty stupid for not trusting VERY good advice I got on the boards here..........that it could be gone for many months in the molting process.

What should be done? I could attempt to gently rebury her........or just refill the tank around her and gently lift her to the surface? Anyone still awake that can help rememdy my stupidity?

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OK my stupidity just upgraded to UTTER MORON>...........she wasnt molted, she is sitting on a hefty batch of eggs :mad:

Emergency Ideas useful...............

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ah, a few beers or not, I understand your curiosity. A lot of us have been there. I have yet to own a store-bought milli. But, if it's still curled up in a depression, maybe you could but a flat rock over her or something like it, maybe a water bowl. You could carefully build up the edges of the depression if you think you need to:confused: . Also, a flat rock might offer way to, possibly, carefully check to see if the babies are ok too...if you feel comfortable doing that.

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is basically where I have started. I replaced all removed soil so now she sits in a depression with her eggs. I really hope I didnt doom them. :wall:

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Update and more questions

An update.............so I filled in the dirt again and mom went back underground the same day as the original posts.
Today I decided to lift up the glass aquarium and from underneath I can see the old egg pile, as well as mom on a new egg pile nestled up inches under the substrate.

Does anyone know how long these eggs usually take to begin to hatch out into pedes?