Help white leg centipede

Peyton Bemis

Arachnosquire
I need to find the right substrate for my centipede so it can burrow. I've been back and forth trying to find the right top soil or potting soil. Can anyone help give me a name of a good substrate to use that is 100% safe to use. I live in Seattle Washington or I can order it online. The help would be much appreciated thank you so much!

Tanaksaes

Arachnopeon
Zoo med repti soil has been the best for me works both as a desert and arid substrate as well as a tropical substrate. Absorbs humidity well along with maintaining a desert soil type of texture when dry. Since you have a white legs I would keep it on the drier side with a moist side and I find that this substrate works best for my SA giants. I purchased it from amazon in case you were wondering.

Tanaksaes

Arachnopeon
It comes dry and you can adjust the humidity accordingly. I know it’s a rainforest style substrate but there is a significant amount of sand and rock particles which will act as a desert/arid feature if kept dry. On the moist side it holds humidity well but I would recommend a listing of once or twice a week for the moist side.

Attachments

NYAN

Arachnoking
Zoo med repti soil has been the best for me works both as a desert and arid substrate as well as a tropical substrate.
Ive used this stuff before. It isn’t very good. If you need it to absorb moisture, it does that poorly. It also doesn’t support burrowing when dry.

NYAN

Arachnoking
@Peyton Bemis instead of making a bunch of new threads all over the place, you should take the time to read the advice that was given to you originally in your first thread. All of these questions that your ‘mass research‘ should have given you have been answered before. I even gave you a good substrate recipe there, but you seemed to ignore it. I’m not sure what more you could want.

Peyton Bemis

Arachnosquire
Okay what did u suggest? I've been back and forth from lowes and home depot with different substrate and I'll ask someone they say it soesnt work.

@Peyton Bemis instead of making a bunch of new threads all over the place, you should take the time to read the advice that was given to you originally in your first thread. All of these questions that your ‘mass research‘ should have given you have been answered before. I even gave you a good substrate recipe there, but you seemed to ignore it. I’m not sure what more you could want.

Tanaksaes

Arachnopeon
@NYAN I’ve seen asian keepers use aquarium soil for plants and shrimp as a substrate. What are the benefits as I don’t see anyone in the US hobby use them. This substrate is for aesthetic reasons? Since the pedes cannot burrow at all.

Peyton Bemis

Arachnosquire
Okay what did u suggest? I've been back and forth from lowes and home depot with different substrate and I'll ask someone they say it soesnt work.

U said clay and sand mix it with eco earth? If I do that do I have to but water in it for it to be able to burrow?

NYAN

Arachnoking
U said clay and sand mix it with eco earth? If I do that do I have to but water in it for it to be able to burrow?
Yes. Adding water will allow it to be shaped. Make sure it can dry out adequately.

@NYAN I’ve seen asian keepers use aquarium soil for plants and shrimp as a substrate. What are the benefits as I don’t see anyone in the US hobby use them. This substrate is for aesthetic reasons? Since the pedes cannot burrow at all.
I don’t have experience with it. I’m not even sure what it is exactly.

Andrew101

Arachnopeon
Here's my problem, you have asked the same question more than 4 times ( seeing on facebook) along multiple experienced hobbyist gave you information and care advice yet you disregard them. Every keeper has different methods and setups for their animal, its up to you to find the best setup and care you are comfortable that will also benefit the animal. Just because one doesn't use topsoil or coco fiber in their substrate mix mean either are bad but its the personal preference base on their experience. If you did extensive research, why did you use coco fiber alone as a substrate base in the first place? Maybe if you also read the ingredients and product information on the packaging, it would answer some of the questions that's been answered before.

Last edited:

Andrew101

Arachnopeon
Aquarium soil is very expensive in the US which is why most keepers don't use it in the states. I definitely want to try it out in future whenever I have the opportunity but I would imagine it provides good airflow and drainage in the substrate as it's very coarse along holds moisture well but I have yet to try it out so I have no right of giving further opinion.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Aquarium soil is very expensive in the US which is why most keepers don't use it in the states. I definitely want to try it out in future whenever I have the opportunity but I would imagine it provides good airflow and drainage in the substrate as it's very coarse along holds moisture well but I have yet to try it out so I have no right of giving further opinion.
What exactly are the ingredients in aquarium soil? My curiosity has been piqued...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Andrew101

Arachnopeon
What exactly are the ingredients in aquarium soil? My curiosity has been piqued...

Thanks,

Arthroverts
It depends on the brand used but for one of the brands Aqua Soil Amazonia, the base material is black soil which is rich in nitrogen and organic materials but doesn't exactly give much of what's exactly in the product when I was searching the ingredients used.

Another brand Fluval Stratum substrate is volcanic soil collected around Mount Aso Volcano.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I use a mixture of coarse sand and coco peat. Looks good, holds structure, and drains well.

Peyton Bemis

Arachnosquire
Yes. Adding water will allow it to be shaped. Make sure it can dry out adequately.

I don’t have experience with it. I’m not even sure what it is exactly.

What kind of sand? And excavator clay good? And do I put the pede in the clay wet or wait to dry? Sorry for all the questions. I like your idea.