HELP!! What is wrong with my spider??

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
The substrate looks damp. No good for G. porteri as it is an arid species and hates damp. They do fine in room temperatures so no need for a heat mat.

that white spot is like dried fluid of some kind. It won't come off. It's stuck on.
Tarantula poop is white and sticky ;)
PS. You should provide a suitable hide for her.

AimeeT86

Arachnopeon
Have you taken a q-tip to it yet?

You shouldnt need to change the substrate because it gets old. You just remove any leftovers and spot clean the poop. Once your T is in a forever enclosure it shouldnt need changed unless there is mould or mites etc
I tried the qtip, she takes off running.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
If a cricket truly drowns in the dish -- just remove it with tongs. Those stones add a lot of surface area for microbial growth -- cleaning a dish is enough of a drag without having individual stones to also clean. Also, you may be overfeeding if crickets are drowning instead of being devoured.

AimeeT86

Arachnopeon
The substrate looks damp. No good for G. porteri as it is an arid species and hates damp. They do fine in room temperatures so no need for a heat mat.

Yes I know what their poop looks like, this is not my first spider. This is however my first with a bump like this.

AimeeT86

Arachnopeon
If a cricket truly drowns in the dish -- just remove it with tongs. Those stones add a lot of surface area for microbial growth -- cleaning a dish is enough of a drag without having individual stones to also clean. Also, you may be overfeeding if crickets are drowning instead of being devoured.
Thanks. I'm really looking to find out about that bump tho

AimeeT86

Arachnopeon
Yes I know what their poop looks like, this is not my first spider. This is however my first with a bump like this.
She's always been ok with the mat, actually she prefers the warm side, not the cold side.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Let the T rest for now (unless the substrate is damp, in which case, rest is going to be difficult). There is nothing I am seeing in that pix that makes me believe waiting 24 hours to try a Q-tip would be taking too long to act. The T is stressed and you probably both need a break. Whatever it is might fall off overnight, or might come off easily with Q-tip tomorrow, or may remain until next moult. But nothing in this situation so far (no leaking or strange behaviours, etc) makes this appear critical or acute for now.

If you do anything more tonight... I would suggest it be making the enclosure safer for the T.
Good luck.

AimeeT86

Arachnopeon

I know she don't like the damp, but I had 4 kids here while I was switching the dirt out, I didn't have time for it to dry, I had to hurry and get it done, so I put the dish in upside down for her until it dries. She don't move around much. I know it's not ideal, I'll remove it once it dries. that spot don't look like poop lol it's looks like mucous or something. Idk

AimeeT86

Arachnopeon
Let the T rest for now (unless the substrate is damp, in which case, rest is going to be difficult). There is nothing I am seeing in that pix that makes me believe waiting 24 hours to try a Q-tip would be taking too long to act. The T is stressed and you probably both need a break. Whatever it is might fall off overnight, or might come off easily with Q-tip tomorrow, or may remain until next moult. But nothing in this situation so far (no leaking or strange behaviours, etc) makes this appear critical or acute for now.

If you do anything more tonight... I would suggest it be making the enclosure safer for the T.
Good luck.
Yes it's damp, I just explained that to someone else. I put that bowl in upside down for her to sit on until it dries. She doesn't climb so she'll be fine until the dirt dries, then I'll take it out. Thank you

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I know she don't like the damp, but I had 4 kids here while I was switching the dirt out, I didn't have time for it to dry, I had to hurry and get it done, so I put the dish in upside down for her until it dries. She don't move around much. I know it's not ideal, I'll remove it once it dries. that spot don't look like poop lol it's looks like mucous or something. Idk
That explains her preference for the dry bowl bottom.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
No worries -- nothing in enclosure that can't be corrected later. And nothing you can do about the spot on her right now. Odds are good it's nothing to worry about anyway -- could just be the angle, mirror spot, hairs clumping, etc..
Nothing jumps out at me as being urgent or serious. If you feel determined, someone did suggest trying a Q-tip (and that means gently/lightly brush area). If it doesn't come off with the gentlest touch - then just accept it. You don't wanna make a problem with the cure.

AimeeT86

Arachnopeon
No worries -- nothing in enclosure that can't be corrected later. And nothing you can do about the spot on her right now. Odds are good it's nothing to worry about anyway -- could just be the angle, mirror spot, hairs clumping, etc..
Nothing jumps out at me as being urgent or serious. If you feel determined, someone did suggest trying a Q-tip (and that means gently/lightly brush area). If it doesn't come off with the gentlest touch - then just accept it. You don't wanna make a problem with the cure.
I tried the qtip, but she was not having lol I've never seen her move that fast. It just freaked me out, I've never seen anything like it before. Thanks for your help!

AimeeT86

Arachnopeon
I tried the qtip, but she was not having lol I've never seen her move that fast. It just freaked me out, I've never seen anything like it before. Thanks for your help!
It's stuck on there like glue, I'm not going to mess with it.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Just leave it. It might be a cut that's oozing hemolymph and if you mess with it you might make it worse. If it grows, then take more pics. She'll either molt it off or die with it. Make sure you don't have anything she can cut herself on. They're great at finding ways to hurt themselves.

A heat mat on the side of a tank that size isn't the end of the world. Necessary, no, but keep your pants on, people. Stones in the dish are fine, too. I put some in dishes if the spider likes to dump the little plastic cups or if crix tend to get in. They aren't hurting anything. It's not a porous sponge. As long as they're cleaned it's ok, but it does take a bit more work.

The sub didn't need to be changed and should be dry, but it'll get there. Pack it down as was suggested and you'll be good to go if you just monitor the spot.

cold blood

Staff member
It's been a year since I changed it.
OMG!!! A whole year:astonished:

Substrate doesn't go bad, its not like milk, it can stay indefinitely unless there is some sort of catastrophic infestation.

I have the same sub in with my porteri that I put in there almost 17 years ago. I have no intention of ever changing it.
How old do you think the dirt wild ts live on is....millions of year, unchanged?? :p

dont the temp need to be around 75? My house is colder than that. Around 65 most of the time. No she doesn't climb.
This species has an exceptionally low metabolism...so they not only have very low food requirements, but they are also tolerant of some very cool weather. 60's is actually fine for them, and they have little issue tolerating night temps into the 50's.

And whether you see it or not, ALL ts climb...even yours.

Nice attitude....we get dozens and dozens of posts a year from people concerned over what amounts to being poop of some sort. When smeared and dried, it fools a lot of people. So far sentiments are that the bump is in fact just dried poop.

As Bob said, its pretty much a non-issue as it is about to molt, and with that the old exo will be shed, along with your perceived problem.

She's always been ok with the mat, actually she prefers the warm side, not the cold side.
:banghead:

Ts are drawn to heat like a moth to a flame, and like the moth has no real use or requirement of the fire, the t has no requirement of the additional heat...its just a natural reaction to outside stimuli.

Heat mats are a poor way to heat a t...and that's if you need your t heated...you do not.

AimeeT86

Arachnopeon
Just leave it. It might be a cut that's oozing hemolymph and if you mess with it you might make it worse. If it grows, then take more pics. She'll either molt it off or die with it. Make sure you don't have anything she can cut herself on. They're great at finding ways to hurt themselves.

A heat mat on the side of a tank that size isn't the end of the world. Necessary, no, but keep your pants on, people. Stones in the dish are fine, too. I put some in dishes if the spider likes to dump the little plastic cups or if crix tend to get in. They aren't hurting anything. It's not a porous sponge. As long as they're cleaned it's ok, but it does take a bit more work.

The sub didn't need to be changed and should be dry, but it'll get there. Pack it down as was suggested and you'll be good to go if you just monitor the spot.
Thank you! I'll pack it down tomorrow. What is hemolymph?