HELP!! What is wrong with my spider??

AimeeT86

Arachnopeon
image.jpg image.jpg I noticed when I got her out to change the dirt that there is an odd spot on her abdomen. She's bald and huge, also looks crusty, but there's also a scabby spot. I have no clue about this. Does anyone know???

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Why were you changing the dirt?

It looks like poop or something like that. Doesnt look like an injury.

Take a damp q-tip and try gently wipe it off

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
The crustiness is just a mix of urticating hairs that have been kicked but have just landed in between other setae and have built up with what looks like dirt or something.

AimeeT86

Arachnopeon
The crustiness is just a mix of urticating hairs that have been kicked but have just landed in between other setae and have built up with what looks like dirt or something.
I mostly concerned about that whitish looking spot. I've never seen that before. It looks like it was oozing and dried or something

AimeeT86

Arachnopeon
What about that whitish spot?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Have you taken a q-tip to it yet?

You shouldnt need to change the substrate because it gets old. You just remove any leftovers and spot clean the poop. Once your T is in a forever enclosure it shouldnt need changed unless there is mould or mites etc

AimeeT86

Arachnopeon
It's definatly not poop. I changed the dirt because it was old.
She would never let me touch her with qtip lol she does not
Have you taken a q-tip to it yet?

You shouldnt need to change the substrate because it gets old. You just remove any leftovers and spot clean the poop. Once your T is in a forever enclosure it shouldnt need changed unless there is mould or mites etc
well it's been a year, so I changed it. that white spot is like dried fluid of some kind. It won't come off. It's stuck on.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I've only ever changed substrate once (well, not changed - but sifted through when I was newbie 'cuz I thought I lost a mealworm). Ts are generally such easy pets to keep -- don't make it more difficult than needed!

Good luck with your T.

AimeeT86

Arachnopeon
I've only ever changed substrate once (well, not changed - but sifted through when I was newbie 'cuz I thought I lost a mealworm). Ts are generally such easy pets to keep -- don't make it more difficult than needed!

Good luck with your T.
It's been a year since I changed it.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Well, right now I just want your T to be healthy and safe.

The reason for mentioning substrate not needing changing is because when you change it -- even if you put everything back exactly as it was before -- it is like a new foreign environment for your T. That can be an unnecessary stress on your T plus it wastes your time too. If you did have a particularly poopy area -- you could spot clean it.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Don't use undertank heaters/heatrocks, no hard items, no dish near edge (for risk of wall falls onto such objects) and stones not needed in dish....

A wood half-log would make more sense than upside down dish. I would add more substrate for depth.

(edited to add: tamp down substrate so surface is firm -- Ts don't like to walk on ground that sort of 'gives way' here and there).

Could your T have fallen recently?

AimeeT86

Arachnopeon
Well, right now I just want your T to be healthy and safe.

The reason for mentioning substrate not needing changing is because when you change it -- even if you put everything back exactly as it was before -- it is like a new foreign environment for your T. That can be an unnecessary stress on your T plus it wastes your time too. If you did have a particularly poopy area -- you could spot clean it.
Don't use undertank heaters/heatrocks, no hard items, no dish near edge (for risk of wall falls onto such objects) and stones not needed in dish....

Could your T have fallen recently?
dont the temp need to be around 75? My house is colder than that. Around 65 most of the time. No she doesn't climb. And the stones are for the suicidal crickets.